REVIEW: Nitecore NU30 Headlamp

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
I heard back from Nitecore Store. Nitecore (proper) confirmed that the warranty is 12 months, as printed in the manual - and the claim on the outer packaging is in error. They expect the packaging to be corrected in the future. Twelve (12) months is always the warranty term for Nitecore products with enclosed batteries.

Nitecore Store also told me that "we're going to take care of our customers. If a customer pursues a warranty claim past a year based on the packaging, we'll cover it."

This doesn't cover NU30s purchased through other channels, but is good backing from Nitecore Store for their customers. Hopefully any claims made will be in good faith and reasonable - not things like "I used the NU30 daily for almost 5 years and notice the battery doesn't last as long".

If any of you check with another NU30 distributor, I'd be curious what you are told... (please share of course if you do...)

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wont buy any more nitecores until they fix ALL parasitic drain issues. My headlamp drains the battery in 2 weeks.

What is the drain on this light?

Could you be specific about your situation?

Should we assume you have a NU30 with parasitic drain? If so, do you have it locked out when stored or not?

Or, are you of this stance because of a different situation like the TIP?

I'll test it out, but that'll take some time since the battery is internal. I haven't noticed a problem so far or heard about one otherwise on the NU30.
I just tested it out today, over one month later.
It had been stored without the lockout enabled.
It fired right up to turbo, held fine, and still gave three flashes from the internal battery indicator.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, is this my best bet for a general purpose USB rechargeable headlight, particularly at the $40 price point? I know there is the available auxiliary LEDs but the main LED looks awfully throwy and perhaps not so good for some intermediate distances when the auxiliary LEDs might not be bright enough. . I would use the headlight from everything from looking inside my PC case to night time walks.

Very nice review.

elcidroyale

Newly Enlightened
Guys, is this my best bet for a general purpose USB rechargeable headlight, particularly at the $40 price point? I know there is the available auxiliary LEDs but the main LED looks awfully throwy and perhaps not so good for some intermediate distances when the auxiliary LEDs might not be bright enough. . I would use the headlight from everything from looking inside my PC case to night time walks.

Very nice review.
I'd HIGHLY recommend to avoid this one! The hinge became so loose that it was flopping around like a limp d***. To make matters worse, I dropped it from waist high (after the hinge petered out completely) and the clip holding the headlamp shattered. Ive had it for about 7 months & used maybe a dozen times. Cheap plastic and bad design for hinge. Headband getting more and more stretched out/ looser. Also the lumens steps are odd. 1 to 36 to 180. 36 is a bit too low and 180 a bit too high (for hiking anyway). Turbo mode is great but automatically steps down after a minute. The main light is low CRI. Ugly and blue white - bad for outdoors. Only the auxillary spot light is high CRI. LUCKILY Andrew and Amanda took care of warranty. I HIGHLY recommend buying from them. Direct from Nitecore means shipping to China hassle.

I appreciate initial reviews & I also look for reviews from those who have used the item in the field for awhile to see real world feedback and durability.

Last edited:

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
My hinge broke after about 5 uses. Looking for something different now.
I've used mine north of 30 times and it is doing just fine. In fact, it's my go-to headlamp for out in the yard after dark.

That said, having seen what you report and what I've seen via other messages, the point where the hinge and base plate meet does seem to be the common weak point for several people. I'd love to have the data to know if temp, batch, color, method, etc corresponds with increased failures, but that's unlikely.

It has been out less time than its warranty is long, so any failures should be replaced under warranty... so long as you used a proper/authorized distributor for your country.

MitchVDB

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Thanks for such a complete and interesting review.

3 questions :

1) With what equipment do you measure and record lumen vs time for your charts ?
2) Would it be possible to make a full chart starting at every specific mode, i.e. for the NU30 starting on boost with full battery, starting on high, starting on mid ... every time with full battery to see how the lines compare on the chart.
3) Would it be possible t make the same charts for the NU25 and HC65 ?

Best regards

Mitch

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

Thanks for such a complete and interesting review.

3 questions :

1) With what equipment do you measure and record lumen vs time for your charts ?
2) Would it be possible to make a full chart starting at every specific mode, i.e. for the NU30 starting on boost with full battery, starting on high, starting on mid ... every time with full battery to see how the lines compare on the chart.
3) Would it be possible t make the same charts for the NU25 and HC65 ?

Best regards

Mitch

Thanks!

1. I normally have this at the end of my newer reviews. This review was one of my earlier ones and predated when I started doing it.LuxMeter: Dr. Meter LX1330B
Integrating "sphere": Homebuilt tube-style device calibrated on otherknown lights and test results. Numbers should be considered relative to eachother and my other review figures but accuracy is in no way certified or guaranteed.

Camera:Canon SD4000IS
Multimeter:Craftsman 82170

2. It would be possible but I'm able to commit to getting it done any too quickly. In the interest of getting you an answer, I looked around for other reviews that might have tested more modes. Budda tested Turbo and High runtimes and found that High followed the Turbo curve after Turbo stepped down. (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?429677-REVIEW-Nitecore-NU30-Headlamp. It's not my review, his results will differ from mine, and photobucket's money grab has caused some pictures to disappear (if you're tech savy, turn on developer mode/F12, inspect element, and add "~original" to the end of the image URL and it will show up), but I trust and respect his results.

3. I do not own the HC25 or HC65, so no - not at this time. I may be getting an HC65 in for review soon, though... stay tuned. If I do get one, I will test all but perhaps the lowest mode.