Review NITECORE T4K - KEYCHAIN - QUAD-CORE 4000 lumens

ro.ma.

Enlightened

NITECORE T4K
was sent to me directly by Nitecore for the review.

For technical details and purchase: https://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/t4k(link is external)
https://www.nitecorestore.com/Nitecore-T4K-4000-Lumen-Keychain-EDC-Flashlight-p/fl-nite-t4k.htm(link is external)
The Manual: https://flashlight.nitecore.com/Uploads/FLASHLIGHTS/download/t4k.pdf(link is external)

DESCRIPTION AND TECHNICAL DATA:

More than two years after the presentation of the TUP, Nitecore presents the T4K, an updated version that brings some changes by increasing the maximum light output which is now 4000 lumens. Always impressive and useful is the beautiful OLED display located at the top of the T4K. The new Nitecore keychain flashlight is rechargeable (via a modern integrated USB-C port), compact and always light, weighing 77g. T4K has 5 brightness levels available and uses 4 CREE XP-L2 V6 LEDs for a maximum output of 4000 lumens for 10900cd. It has 2 switches and an integrated 1000 mAh Li-ion battery that offers a range of up to 67 hours. The Nitecore T4K is ideal for everyday use, it is built in aluminum alloy and is resistant to water and dust (IP54).

Features:

• Utilizes 4 x CREE XP-L2 V6 LEDs with a max output of 4,000 lumens
  • Max peak beam intensity of 10,900cd and max throw of 209 meters
  • Utilizes a total reflective optic system for uniform and soft light
  • Multifunctional OLED real-time display for lumens, battery voltage, runtime etc.
  • Built-in 1,000mAh Li-ion battery
  • Advanced Power Cut-Off (APC) technology for an ultra-low standby power consumption
  • Built-in Li-ion battery charging circuit with a USB-C port
  • Highly efficient constant current circuit provides a stable output up to 67 hours
  • 2 user modes available (DEMO Mode and DAILY Mode)
  • Dual side switch design
  • 5 brightness levels available with direct access to TURBO• Intelligent mode memory function
  • 2 lockout modes available (Half Lockout Mode and Full Lockout Mode)
  • Incorporated Advanced Temperature Regulation (ATR) module (Patent No. ZL201510534543.6)
  • Metal ring pull able to withstand up to 30 kilograms of weight
  • HA III hard-anodized finish
  • Impact resistant to 1 meter

Specifications:
Dimensions: 82.3mm×30mm×29.2mm(3.24"×1.18"×1.15") (Clip Included)
Weight: 77g (2.72oz) (Clip Included)

Accessories:
USB-C Charging Cable, Key Clasp

Note: The stated data is measured using the built-in Li-ion battery (1,000mAh) under laboratory conditions. The data may vary in real world use due to different battery usage or environmental conditions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The package
with which the new T4K arrives is very beautiful, in black rigid cardboard with magnetic closure. Inside we find the T4K protected by a foam and a practical yellow manual door. Inside the package we find a well-wishing phrase from Nitecore printed and the following accessories:

Nitecore T4K, USB-C Charging Cable, Key Clasp and manual.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Nitecore T4K is very beautiful. Excellent materials, the finish with a good anodization and the feeling it gives in the hand. In this EDC we find a nice, well readable real-time OLED display, 4 light emitters (LEDs), 2 electronic switches, a USB-C charging port and an innovative and functional quick release. The T4K is IP54 certified (resistant to water and dust) and has an impact resistance of 1 meter.

The new optical system of the T4K, more powerful than the previous TUP, uses 4 CREE XP-L2 V6 LEDs and a fully reflective optical system for a uniform and soft light. T4K has a maximum output of 4000 lumens for a maximum beam depth of 209 meters. The quad-core emitters are embedded on the 3mm thick copper cooling PCB, designed to quickly dissipate heat to ensure stable performance.

The Nitecore T4K has a multifunctional OLED display, well readable, which shows us in real time some data such as lumens, battery voltage, runtime etc.

With the torch off, by pressing the "MODE" key, the display shows for a few seconds the level and user mode set and the current voltage with the drawing of the battery.

With the flashlight on, the screen will show the various information in sequence: brightness level, lumens and user mode (Demo or Daily) and then the time remaining before the battery runs out. To reactivate the display just press the "MODE" button.

When the battery voltage is less than 3.4V, the charge indicator located below the two buttons will start to emit a blue light intermittently every 2 seconds to inform the user that the battery must be recharged as soon as possible. The display warns us of the "LOW BATT" low battery.

Another information on the display is that of the 4000 lumens TURBO mode (lasting about 10 seconds). Let's see the sequence:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Under the OLED display there are the two electronic switches with which we will manage the NitecoreT4k. The two switches are protruding and provided with LEDs under the buttons. As can be seen from the symbols above these, one has an ON/OFF function (Power Switch) and with the other we will vary the 4 levels available beyond the momentary Turbo (Mode Switch).

The switches can be activated with normal pressure on them. Nitecore T4K has two electronic locking modes that ensure secure portability.

Nitecore T4K
uses a new generation USB-C format port for integrated charging. The internal lithium battery is 1000 mAh with a maximum autonomy of 67 hours. In the equipment we find a USB-C cable for connecting to an external power source (e.g. a USB adapter, a computer or other USB charging devices) to start the charging process. The charging time is approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes. Nitecore T4K has intelligent charging circuit with multiple protections such as over-discharging, over-charging, short-circuit, It also automatically ends charging once it is complete.

The Nitecore T4K can be turned on and work while charging or remain always on using a USB device such as a power bank (Turbo excluded).

When charging
is in use, the blue key indicator may flash slowly to notify you and the display will show the current battery level. At the end of charging, the blue light remains on constantly and the display will indicate full charge. Nitecore recommends recharging the T4K every 3 months if left unused for an extended period.

In the back of the Nitecore T4K, under the USB-C port, there is a metal ring capable of supporting up to 30 kg of weight with an innovative integrated quick release system very useful in many situations. This solution together with the included Pocket Clip make the T4K an ideal EDC companion.

This release operation takes place by pressing a small round button located below the attachment.

Nitecore T4K
next to the Nitecore TIP SE and the Nitecore TINI2.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USER INTERFACE(UI):

Nitecore T4K has 5 brightness levels
available with direct access to TURBO and ULTRALOW, it also has 2 user modes, DEMO Mode and DAILY Mode.
In DEMO mode (default) the light turns off automatically, within 30 seconds, if there is no operation. The countdown will be indicated on the multifunction display.
In DAILY mode, the flashlight will remain on until the user turns it off manually. The "TURBO" level is only momentary by holding down the "MODE" button.

Brightness Levels:

ULTRALOW - 1 lumen - 67h
LOW - 15 lumens - 21h
MID - 65 lumens - 7h
HIGH - 200 lumens - 2h and 45min.
TURBO - 4000 lumens - about 10sec.

Operation Mode Selection
With the flashlight both on and off, press the POWER and MODE buttons simultaneously to switch between the DEMO and DAILY modes. The LED will flash to indicate the currently selected mode:
1 flash indicates DEMO mode, 2 flashes indicate DAILY mode. (During this operation, the display will show the "DEMO" or "DAILY" mode to inform the user.)
Note: By being in DEMO mode and reactivating the flashlight within 3 seconds after turning it off, you will have temporary access to DAILY mode until you turn off the flashlight again.

Power On and Off
Power on: with the flashlight off, quickly press the POWER button to turn it on.
Turn off: with the flashlight on, quickly press the POWER button to turn it off.

Levels of brightness
With the flashlight and display on, quickly press the MODE button to scroll through the various brightness levels: "ULTRALOW - LOW - MID - HIGH". When switched on, the flashlight will propose to the user the last light selection set before switching off.
Note: With the display off, quickly press the MODE button to turn it on and then you can select the brightness level.

Direct access to the ULTRALOW level
With the flashlight off, press and hold the POWER button to access the ULTRALOW level.

Direct access to the TURBO level
With the torch both off and on, press and hold the MODE button to access the TURBO level; release the button to switch off or to return to the previous light level set.

Lock and Unlock
The T4K has two different locking modes (Half Lockout Mode and Full Lockout Mode).

Nl6xmRPW_o.jpg

Half Lockout Mode (Lock 1):
• With the flashlight on, press and hold the POWER button until the display shows the Lock 1 icon to access Half Lockout Mode.
• In Lockout Mode 1, Half Lockout Mode, the POWER button will not be usable to turn on the flashlight. You can only press and hold the MODE button to access TURBO mode.
Full Lockout Mode (Lock 2):
• With the flashlight on, press and hold the POWER button indefinitely until the button first shows the Lock 1 icon and then the Lock 2 icon to access Full Lockout Mode.
• In Lock mode 2 The MODE and POWER buttons cannot be used to turn on the flashlight.
Unlock: In any lock mode you are in, quickly press the POWER button, release it and press it again while holding it down. The display will show the unlock icon and a progress bar that shows the operation in progress. The flashlight will turn on, proposing to the user the last brightness level used and previously stored.

ATR (Advanced Temperature Regulation)
Nitecore T4K features the ATR (Advanced Temperature Regulation) module, which adjusts its output power by adapting to the surrounding environment, maintaining optimal performance.

BEAM and RUNTIME:

The beam of the Nitecore T4K has a not too cold white tint and no particular artifact or dominant. The beam is alluvial in nature but in any case the "HIGH" level of 200 lumens allows a good view during the walk. Instead, leave you amazed by the large amount of light (4000 lumens), even if for a few seconds, of the Turbo level.
I didn't notice PWM in the various brightness levels. The distance from the start of the spill to the feet is minimal.

RUNTIME:

The runtime test was done with the fully charged Nitecore T4K in HIGH mode (200lm), with an ambient temperature of about 21 ° C and without forced ventilation. Good durability in HIGH which reflects the values declared by the house. As you can see from the graph at the end of the test, the T4K suddenly turned off. When switched on again the display showed 3.20V.

As we can see from the graph below, I did some tests on and off with the T4K in Turbo mode for about 10 minutes with the T4K fully charged at 4.20V.

The first 3 ignitions were consecutive while, subsequently, the other 3 after about 10 seconds from each other. After these six close ignitions for the others, about 50 or 60 seconds were allowed to switch on. At the end of the test, the display of the TINI2 showed 3.90V.
Turbo can be called up almost until the low battery flashes. I got to operate it for about ten seconds with the T4K display showing 3.40V. This behavior of the T4K is excellent.

CONCLUSIONS:

I liked the new Nitecore T4K in many ways. The T4K is a little jewel that can become dazzling if necessary with its 4000 lumens. The OLED display is readable and well done, the two electronic switches for the complete management of the flashlight including partial or total blocking are valid and backlit, and modern and fast, if necessary, charging with USB-C port. The wide Clip as well as the innovative quick release located at the bottom of the T4K are well made. Nitecore T4K is truly an EDC to carry with you every day for any quick eventuality.
Like the thought of many, mine too is that of an intermediate level between the 4000 lumens turbo and the high 200 lumens level. Despite everything with 200 lumens I can see well the walk up to about ten meters.
Excellent operation and simple user interface. In conclusion an almost perfect usable EDC for many uses and activities (household, reading, camping etc).
Thank you for reading the review.

------ My YOUTUBE Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCI5j6yZ6oVR867k2KINs2qg?view_as=subscriber ------------------------------------------------

zoulas

Newly Enlightened
Nice review. My issue with flashlights that don't have are removable battery are:
You don't have a flashlight for 90 minutes while its recharging.
You need to have a charging source with you if you want to have unlimited use of the light.
At some random time in the future, probably a day after the warranty ends, the battery will die and this entire unit goes into the garbage .

Vemice

Enlightened
Very well done. I do think, however, we are really stretching the limits of what is called a "keychain " light. I have the TINI2 as a keychain light and really like it.

Tasky

Newly Enlightened
Very well done. I do think, however, we are really stretching the limits of what is called a "keychain " light. I have the TINI2 as a keychain light and really like it.
The same was said about the TUP.

Way I see it, it's got a pocket clip on, so that makes it a pocket light with the facility to also clip to/hang off something else.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, a very nice review, but gee whiz, an $89 disposable light. Seriously, that same $89 will purchase a very nice pocket light with MUCH more versatility, and which won't go into the trash when the battery wears out. No thanks!

Edit: I just wanted to add that I really do appreciate the thoroughness of your review. Top quality photos, nice video, and comprehensive beam shots, I mean you did a great job.

And one final thing, I do get the appeal of this light. It's very tech oriented, and has some intriguing features. If only they had also included a way to change the battery, and maybe given us another level between 200 and 4000, like 600 or 800 lumens, that would have made it worthy of serious consideration. Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to put together such a nice review. I'll look forward to seeing more, hopefully with lights that are more worthy of your time.

Last edited:

ro.ma.

Enlightened
Yes, a very nice review, but gee whiz, an $89 disposable light. Seriously, that same $89 will purchase a very nice pocket light with MUCH more versatility, and which won't go into the trash when the battery wears out. No thanks!

Edit: I just wanted to add that I really do appreciate the thoroughness of your review. Top quality photos, nice video, and comprehensive beam shots, I mean you did a great job.

And one final thing, I do get the appeal of this light. It's very tech oriented, and has some intriguing features. If only they had also included a way to change the battery, and maybe given us another level between 200 and 4000, like 600 or 800 lumens, that would have made it worthy of serious consideration. Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to put together such a nice review. I'll look forward to seeing more, hopefully with lights that are more worthy of your time.

Thank you for appreciating the review.

Ned-L

Enlightened
How many times can it be recharged before it won't hold a charge? Is it comfortable to carry in front pants pockets? Great review!

NetMage

Enlightened
I have to say I despise the lumen wars where shorter and shorter illumination periods are considered acceptable for the specified highest brightness - if this put out 10,000 lumens for 0.1 seconds, would you really think it should be called a 10k lumen flashlight?

Perhaps a standard minimum fraction of the battery life at that brightness, and a minimum time (15 minutes? 10 minutes maybe?) could work.

If I reviewed flashlights, I'd just say it is 200 lumens and be done with it.

sp5it

Enlightened
Thx for review.
That tint shift is really ugly.
No waterproofing is also big disadvantage.
Pretty useless light for me.
Mike