Review of 3 different shake lights

AusKipper

Enlightened
I did a review of 3 different shake lights (i have copied the reviews in one after the other so I apologize in advance for duplicate info)

main.php

Nightstar II pictured center with Viatek left and PowerPlus Woodpecker right

Product: PowerPlus Woodpecker
Cost: Around AU$20 on ebay
Details/Features:
Waterproof
Doesn't need batteries
Duel recharging coils
Lanyard hole
Constant on and flashing modes

main.php

Torch/Flashlight Review Checkpoints
Output Max: Not specified, Decent amount for a shake light, probably a little more than 12 lumens. Significantly more throw than my other two shake lights
Runtime Max: 20 minutes according to the box (after 60 seconds of shaking). NiMH storage. I actually had it run for over 45 minutes :)
Tailstanding: No
Knurling: None
Beam Profile: See image:
main.php

Beam Tint: See image, slight blue tint
Reliability so far and predicted: Flawless thus far, and I believe it will continue to be flawless though I am a little concerned about durability of the switch
Waterproof: According to the packet it is waterproof to 2 meters. haven't actually tested it.
Ease of use: easy to use, 2 modes of operation, flick the switch to the left to get constant on, flick to the right to get flashing mode. Middle is off.
General size: Micro/Keychain/EDC-Pocket Carry/Regular Handheld Carry/Very Big

Of my 3 shake lights, this one definitely throws the furthest. With its duel coil charging system it does also appear to be the fastest to charge. The beam is a little messy with lots of rings (as per beam shot above) but for utilitarian purposes it really doesn't matter that much. Unlike my other two this light has an NiMH battery for energy storage instead of the capacitor. Because I believe the capacitor should be longer lasting in the long run I would have preferred if this light had capacitor storage.

The switch on this one is not a magnetic type like the other two shake lights I own, but a mechanical switch which will probably be less reliable, and is also a possible point for water ingress (though I didn't have any which I did a quick bucket test). That said, the switch does not feel flimsy or anything, and it certainly hasnt failed me yet (though I haven't used it extensively either).

If this light had capacitor storage and the magnetic switch like the Nightstar II I think it would be the perfect shake light, however, even without I still think its a very good option.

Stealing from the review of the Nightstar now:
If your looking for a light that will still be working when you have been out in the woods for 20 years living off snared rabbits and blackberries after the zombie apocalypse I think this is the light for you. If reliable and durability is less important, then i'm tempted to recommend the Woodpecker instead because of the increased throw and lower cost.

As a word of caution, shake lights have very strong magnets so you have to be a little careful about what you do with them. You may not want to throw one in your backpack next to your expensive laptop or compass.

Product Rating
8 Stars out of 10
*---------

Product:Nightstar II shake light
Cost: Around AU$40 on ebay
Details/Features:
Waterproof to 200ft
Doesn't need batteries
Lanyard hole

main.php

Output Max: Not specified, usable amount (i would guess around 10 lumens) for indoor use but you wont be lighting up a trail
Runtime Max: 20 minutes according to the box (after 30 seconds of shaking). Capacitor storage
Tailstanding: Yes
main.php

Beam Tint: See image, blue green color, not the best
Reliability so far and predicted: Flawless thus far, and I believe it will continue to be flawless
Waterproof: According to the packet it is waterproof to 200ft. I have tested it in a bucket and swimming and had no issues.
Ease of use: Very easy to use, shake it then turn it on (switch on the side)

Of my 3 shake lights, this one certainly feels like the most durable and it does have a usable output. The only downside is that it was twice the price of the other two. Unlike the other two it has magnets at each end of the "shake tube" so it shakes much more quietly and smoothly than the others. It also has a magnetic switch (as does the Viatek) which is supposed to be ultra reliable. I haven't broken it yet.

The light also features a glow in the dark switch which can be handy, though typically it doesn't stay "glowing" for long enough to really be useful (ie, by the time you have forgotten where you left it in the dark it has gone dim)

I have a friend with one of the older models, that has seen quite a lot of use and is several years old now and its still going strong.

This light has noticeably less throw than the "PowerPlus Woodpecker" but the overall light output is only marginally less.

If your looking for a light that will still be working when you have been out in the woods for 20 years living off snared rabbits and blackberries after the zombie apocalypse I think this is the light for you. If reliable and durability is less important, then i'm tempted to recommend the Woodpecker instead because of the increased throw and lower cost.

As a word of caution, shake lights have very strong magnets so you have to be a little careful about what you do with them. You may not want to throw one in your backpack next to your expensive laptop or compass.

Product Rating
8 Stars out of 10
*---------

Product: Viatek Shake Light
Cost: Around AU$20 on ebay
Details/Features:
Waterproof (untested by me)
Doesn't need batteries
9.5 inches long
Lanyard hole

main.php

Output Max: Not specified, but terrible, probably less than 3 lumen
Runtime Max: On my example... about 30 seconds. Uses an inbuilt capacitor for storage.
Tailstanding: No
main.php

Beam Tint: See image, blue color, unpleasant
Reliability so far and predicted: First one I ordered arrived non functioning, this one sort of works see more details below.
Waterproof: According to the packet it is however I have not tested it.
Ease of use: Very easy to use, shake it then turn it on (switch on the side)

Of my 3 shake lights, this is by far and away the worst. My first one arrived dead, it would illuminate while shaking but go completely out as soon as I stopped shaking. I requested a replacement which was sent (so I am happy with the seller, just not the light) to me straight away. On arrival the replacement worked, but while the box says "30 seconds of shaking provides 20 minute of light" I have found that 10 minutes of shaking gives about 30 seconds of light (ok, maybe a slight exaggeration, but 2 minutes would not be). The light output from this is easy the worst of the 3.

Additionally the switch can be unreliable, sometimes you have to turn it off and turn it back on again to make it work.

Also, due to design quite a bit of light comes out the back of the head causing glare which is not particularly desirable when your trying to see where you are going with the minimal amount of light it puts out as it is.

Definitely not a recommended product. See my reviews on the PowerPlus Woodpecker and Nightstar II if your in the market for a shake light.

Product Rating
1 Stars out of 10
*---------

Last edited:

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
Thanks for the review, I've been interested in a "shake" light, but most reviewers were farly negative about pretty well all the ones they had tried.

If they are robust enough, maybe they would be good as a younger child's light (doesn't matter if it is left switched on, as there aren't any batterioes being wasted).

As a suggestion, if you add the dimensions of each light we will know how big they are (length, body & head diameter, weight).

Last edited:

AusKipper

Enlightened
Thanks for the review, I've been interested in a "shake" light, but most reviewers were farly negative about pretty well all the ones they had tried.

If they are robust enough, maybe they would be good as a younger child's light (doesn't matter if it is left switched on, as there aren't any batterioes being wasted).

As a suggestion, if you add the dimensions of each light we will know how big they are (length, body & head diameter, weight).

Well I can see the other reviewers point, compared to battery powered flashlights the output on all of them is pretty dismal, and none of them are what you would call pocketable either, so you get a big light with the same output of a keychain light on low :)

If I was going to pick one to give to a kid I would have to pick the nightstar, basically be cause of the way the switch is it would be darn near impossible for them to break it :)

believe it or not I do not own a single 30cm ruler, and measuring them with a tape measure would be an inexact science, i'll get back (if i remember) with the dimensions of the lights once i go and buy myself a 50c ruler :)

dzzavid

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for this review, you just saved me 20 bucks on the Viatek for my kid. Nice work

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the higher quality shake lights are really cool. It would be hard to envision a better emergency light that could take more neglect or abuse. Great in salt water environs.

AusKipper

Enlightened
As requested:

Woodpecker
Dimensions (as measured by me): Length: 20cm Width: 5cm

Nightstar II
Dimensions (as measured by me): Length: 19cm Width: 4.5cm

Viatek
Dimensions (as measured by me): Length: 24.5cm Width: 5.5cm

silver_bacon

Newly Enlightened
Nice review.

What is the actual usable runtime on the Nightstar II? I purchased the Nightstar 4. I am pretty impressed with the performance but the usable runtime isn't 20 minutes. It is definitely a lot better than my cheap hybrid one I bought several years ago.