Review of / Measurement on SysMax i4 charger

shadowjk

Enlightened
It's interesting how it's most accurate with "big" and "well regarded" cells, and ends up lower voltage and lower charge with "less well regarded brand" and small cells... Is there a conneciton between battery internal resistance and the charger's behaviour?

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
The final CV stage feeds the cell 4.2V at whatever current it's willing to absorb. If the internal resistance is higher, then the current it can absorb will be lower, resulting in a lower termination voltage.

I think, anyway. There's smarter people here who will know for sure. I have some brand new cells that terminate in this charger at 4.2V. Older ones terminate between 4.16 and 4.18V. Bigger cells generally have lower internal resistance than smaller ones. My 14500 usually terminates at a lower voltage than my 18650's.

I have some IMR 18650's that need a charge. I'll see where they cut off, as they have lower IR than ICR cells.

Cypher_Aod

Enlightened
this just sounds terrifying. i would have thought that Jetbeam and Nitecore's parent company would have produced something a little better! :eek:

Still getting on well with my Xtar WP2 which i bought thanks to HKJs' review :) :D

fyrstormer

Banned
this just sounds terrifying. i would have thought that Jetbeam and Nitecore's parent company would have produced something a little better! :eek:

Still getting on well with my Xtar WP2 which i bought thanks to HKJs' review :) :D
They make great battery DISchargers ;), but going in the opposite direction requires a different kind of expertise. I'm sure they'll get it sorted out eventually; this product is crap, but we only know it to be so because other companies have already made their own mistakes and learned their own lessons and now offer much better products.

theix

Newly Enlightened
One of my i4 chargers (3) just went :poof: while charging 4 x Jetbeam 18650 2300mAh (220VAC). I pulled the plug out quickly. The i4 was dead :confused:. The charger was very hot at the time.
Wouldn't leave this charger charges unattended any more :sick2:.

HKJ

Flashaholic
One of my i4 chargers (3) just went :poof: while charging 4 x Jetbeam 18650 2300mAh (220VAC). I pulled the plug out quickly. The i4 was dead :confused:. The charger was very hot at the time.

What kind of voltage was you running it on? 110, 115, 220, 230, 240 or with external power supply?

domx

Newly Enlightened
Hi SantaClawz, What charger do you have now? I have the Pila but looking for better or should I get another Pila?

pageyjim

Enlightened

I almost had the same thing happen to me with one of mine. I noticed it runs very hot with 4 18650's being charged. I was told it was a somewhat common problem. It is better if you charge 1-2 batteries in it. This was with 120v. Needless to say I tend not to use it and I wouldn't leave it unattended if I did. I received this one as part of the package TM15 deal and it was more cost and trouble to return it.

domx

Newly Enlightened
I have a Pila charger and many different types of 18650 batteries, including AW, Ultrafire and EagleTac and I'm still waiting for others to arrive, that I have yet to try. I have decided to get the Xtar S2 charger to complement my Pila charger and this will allow me to charge 4 X 18650s at once.

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Pila charger and many different types of 18650 batteries, including AW, Ultrafire and EagleTac and I'm still waiting for others to arrive, that I have yet to try. I have decided to get the Xtar S2 charger to complement my Pila charger and this will allow me to charge 4 X 18650s at once.

This review is about the v1, check for the review os the v2.

Check one of my threads were I post some issue charging three 18650, the manufacter claim to dont charge 4 18650, I test it with a external power supply and the charger do his job just fine.

Sent from my phone with camera with flash and internet on it... :D