Review of ThruNite Scorpion V2 with outdoor beamshots

molon_labe

Newly Enlightened
Have you tested the AW protected and non-protected IMR?

Ok, here are my results on 2xCR123A on max, on Titanium Innovations CR123As and Panasonic made-in-USA CR123As, with and without external cooling:

Scorpion2-HiCR123A-cool2.gif

As you can see, cooling didn't make much of a difference on the Panasonic runs - I got ~5 mins to step down without it, and ~6 mins with it. :ohgeez: The only real difference cooling seems to make is in the rate of the recovery phase.

So it seems the Panasonic cells can't handle the current load and heat up faster than the Titanium Innovations cells. This is turn either triggers some sort of stepdown circuit/resistor, or causes some sort of battery hiccup.

Interesting .... I've just posted a synopsis of the situation in the batteries/electronics forum. Let's see what the experts there think!

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on the amperage, any idea on lumens for the max output setting on the neutral XM-L ? I know they will be using T5 bin.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Based on the amperage, any idea on lumens for the max output setting on the neutral XM-L ? I know they will be using T5 bin.

The T5 led is about 7% less lumen compared to the T6 led, it does not matter if it is cool, neutral or warm white. If the T6 is 750 lumen, then the T5 will be 700 lumen

SkyPup

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for this great review, it led to me ordering one of these with the Turbo Head from Battery Junction and now this light is on my carbine rifle for hog hunting, really really nice throw and light weight, excellent infinite brightness adjustment, this is a high quality piece and will pay for itself in short order!

bc5000

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for this great review, it led to me ordering one of these with the Turbo Head from Battery Junction and now this light is on my carbine rifle for hog hunting, really really nice throw and light weight, excellent infinite brightness adjustment, this is a high quality piece and will pay for itself in short order!

I bought one to mount on my AR but it won't work with my mount. My 1" mount won't spread open enough to slide over the tail end. Going to have to find a two piece mount that clamps over the body.

Helmut.G

Enlightened
Measurements.png

In the above table I have collected all modes. I have also included off as a mode, because the light uses a small amount of power. All the estimated runtimes are with a 2600mA LiIon battery. The estimated lumen is scale from the specified maximum. The brightness is a relative measurement from a lux meter.
All the values are measured at 3.7 volt. The battery warning was observed in infinite mode at 2.7 volt.
HKJ, thank you very much for these measurements, very useful! :thumbsup:
But are you really sure the light uses over 10 W in firefly and nearly 10kW in max? ;)

Last edited:

gsteve

Enlightened
Hi All... I have one of these cool lights and am trying to decide if i should get the turbo head. Ive seen the beam shots and if i really sqint i can see a bit of a difference. Those who have them.. can you see and actual improvement?

1jono

Newly Enlightened
I originally bought a V2 with the extra Turbo head a while back and would say that selfbuilt's review is pretty spot on as from my usage experience I would estimate you get about an extra 50 yards throw with the turbo head.
I was so impressed with the amount of light the V2 puts out in a small package that I ordered another one last week so I have one with the standard head and one with the turbo head fitted all the time.
My reasoning for this (Not that I need reasoning with the illness this site and LED flashlights have caused! :shakehead) was that it would probably take at least 20 seconds to change the head from standard to turbo so I am now saving a considerable amount of time not having to change heads!
Oh and also there is no chance of dust getting into the head either!

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/member.php?16087-selfbuilt

BenF57

Newly Enlightened
Hi, HKJ.
Thanks for this usefull review.
One question... does the Scorpion with Turbo Head fit in the holster ?

Helmut.G

Enlightened
Hi, HKJ.
Thanks for this usefull review.
One question... does the Scorpion with Turbo Head fit in the holster ?
No, it doesn't.

The supplied holster doesn't even work properly without the TurboHead.
In my opinion it's completely useless, a waste of natural resources.

eh123456

Newly Enlightened
I like everything about my Scorpion V2, except that the low voltage warning doesn't seem to work with my Panasonic non-protect 3100mah cells, the light will go dimmer and dimmer, but no flash warning. Is this normal ?
Sorry, I don't have a multimeter to test the final voltage.

Helmut.G

Enlightened
As you can see from HKJ's great testing results in the first post, it's completely normal that the low-battery warning doesn't activate until the battery is nearly completely dead.

I'd recommend you to change the battery as soon as you notice a decrease in output.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I like everything about my Scorpion V2, except that the low voltage warning doesn't seem to work with my Panasonic non-protect 3100mah cells, the light will go dimmer and dimmer, but no flash warning. Is this normal ?
Sorry, I don't have a multimeter to test the final voltage.

The Panasonic cells can be safely discharge down to 2.5 volt and if you look at the "voltage sweep" graph, you will see that the light just about turns of at 2.5 volt. As long as you remove the battery, when the light is very dim, you are safe.

eh123456

Newly Enlightened
I wanted to see how the low voltage warning works, so even the light was dim already, I waited, waited, and waited, eventually, the voltage was low enough and the light started flashing every few seconds :)
Thanks guys.