Review of Ultrafire WF-502B. First review and impressions.

M

mattw

Newly Enlightened
For submission in the reviews forum, if worthy!

Ok guys and gals, I am going to take the step of trying my first review. I have chosen the Ultrafire WF-502B, I purchased 2 of the as a set with red and green emitters. Basically I wanted the bodies and they were dirt cheap!

I am not testing any emitters with the light, only my impressions of the light.

Ok, this is the stock light. Coating actually looks good on the pair. All of the threads are triangle cut, but work fairly well after cleaning them with a stainless wire brush and a light coat of grease.

Stock smooth semi-recesed switch.

Down the throat, will talk more about that in the next photo!

I was very disappointed with the emitter engagement on this light, both had the same issue. My good light, a Solarforce L2M has 2mm less clearance for the emitter module. This light is way to loose of a fit. I would not recommend it for use with hot running modules, it was difficult at best to wrap a module for a tight fit!

This is the stock switch, not a great solder job and possibly will not take a lot of current.

I did not like the bezel and since they cannot be removed, I modified mine. This was with 400 grit paper on a bench sanders disk.

What did I like about the light?

1) Price
2) Overall build quality, I felt that a couple of more threads might have been in order on the tailcap end of the barrel and on the tailcap as well.
3) The switch, very positive forward clicky that still allowed for a half press when off to select modes.

What did I not like about the light?

1) The worst problem I found was that the emitter module chamber was very sloppy. It was 2mm larger than my Solarforce which only takes a wrap and a half of doubled aluminum foil to get a good tight fit.
2) The bezel, but I fixed that.
3) Threads were completely dry and a little rough. Nothing that a wire brush and grease could not fix!

Would I buy more of them? Yes, they would be great for a give as a gift with a basic Xtar charger and a good battery. This is provided that you do not include a hot running module. The light did work with a flat top battery, as I expected it would.

Thanks for your time.

Matt