REVIEW: Olight i3s (XP-G2 , 1xAAA)

realista

Enlightened
YTTauTR.jpg

First impressions:
Shipped from: GearBest for review purpose

With its upgraded led XP-G2 it's an efficient flashlight and i ordered it mostly for the short lenght.
In second reason because it's shipped in several colors and my attention was taken by this "gold" one :)

vn5geng.jpg

jmvTQkw.jpg

ZbnO6jT.jpg

TPerCM1.jpg

FGLSgqu.jpg

Modes and estimated lumens:

Switch type: TWIST
There are " 3 " modes in the following order:
Med – hi – moonlight + 1 hidden STROBO if you cycle 6 on/off
My estimated lumens are 80 on nimh and 300 with my Efest IMR 10440.

Compared with my Lumintop TOOL aaa (XP-G2) the olight is slightly less bright on nimh, but equal with 10440. Olight tint is a little more warmer but i prefer cooler tints on low lumens flashlights, giving the appearance to eyes to be brighter.

>>>LIGHT >>> The angle of refraction:
ln3djV5.jpg

Weight and dimensions measurements (made myself, not by specs):
This flashlight weighs precisely 11 gr
Height 6,9 cm (fully screwed - on) 7cm (a bit unscrewed - off)
Diameter 1,4 cm
Head diameter 1,4 cm

Construction quality:
It seems well machined and the threads are SQUARED and anodized with the same flashlight color.
I can't tell much other things, except it's really lightweight at 11gr!

Lanyard hole: PRESENT (one)

Threads came NOT GREASED, but this is not a big con, i used my grease.(mine isn't an high quality one, but you can buy a top notch if you prefer) and there are 2 additional o-ring included

lV3Rdph.jpg

wVtXwy2.jpg

3vzl6Lx.jpg

5U2gxcA.jpg

Q8gI7Xw.jpg

jm0IGRX.jpg

ipVdQ7K.jpg

Led Tint, reflector and lense:
The led is well centered and its tint is pure white, tending to warm
Reflector made of: ORANGE PEEL – not tested if made of plastic or aluminum
Lense made of: GLASS
XvulAdz.jpg

vKeq9qQ.jpg

mrIiRjY.jpg

Outside beamshot at 25 meters, only at FULL power (same place for all my reviews)

B5QGsj9.gif

Wall beamshot at 250 centimeters, from lower to higher power (same place for all my reviews)
LX1eBXP.gif

Ceiling bounce test with LUXmeter:
cvJSNRu.jpg

ALZVwja.jpg

Nv6BuPm.png

PROS:
- really lightweight
- good amount of lumens
- hidden strobo

CONS:
- sometimes modes are stucked on first Med, getting troubles to change to Hi and Low

Final thoughts and why you should buy it:
Being not a clicky one, imho it's less comfortable to be used, BUT in a keychain the lack of the rear switch "could be" a pro, where the rubber switch is more likely to be spoiled/ruined .

Thanks for reading.....
….and if you notice some bad written phrases, feel free to correct me suggesting the right way to write it!! :)

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the review
my Olight i3s has the smoothest threads of any of my AAA twisty lights. the MLH sequence is very practical, and the 0.5 low a very useful nightlight with low battery drain. It is also my lowest weight AAA light. Highly recommended.
IMG_6569.JPG

IMG_8750.JPG

green814

Newly Enlightened
Realista,

Great Review!!!

TY!!!

Jon,

How does the i3s compare to the Fenix E01 concerning the light output, beamshot, run time, etc.

TY!

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does the i3s compare to the Fenix E01
the i3s has 3 modes, so is much more versatile without the angry purple beam of the E01. Runtime is based on brightness, the Olight has brighter and lower levels than the E01. The Olight comes with a reversible pocket clip.

Lights have evolved several generations past the technology of the single mode E01, no comparison really. Read more of my feature by feature comparisons of a number of Single aaa lights in my signature link.

this may help, the 3 modes of the Olight next to the E01, iphone kitchen table style
IMG_6573.JPG

IMG_6574.JPG

IMG_6575.JPG

Compared to the E01, the i3s will be a significant upgrade in every way.

green814

Newly Enlightened
Jon,

TY for the pics!!! Great comparison. I am impressed with the pic Realista posted of the wall shot. Extra modes aren't big deal, just looking for a nice, ultra compact light option. Thinking about something that could be either clipped to my snowmobile jacket, or maybe in the sleeve pocket.

Hard to beat for the money though...

TY again!

realista

Enlightened
THank you to all... it's important to me that someone do think that this is a nice review.
Of course i can't speak/write "so much"..... like a native english person..... but i do my best.:twothumbs
my review are just not too short not too LOOONG........ i could upload a thousand of pics but i think most time would be RIPETITIVE.....

Mill321

Newly Enlightened
Realista, thanks for the thorough review. One of the best reviews that I have been able to find on this light. I particularly liked the High beam shot powered with the 10440.

green814

Newly Enlightened
Realista,

You are doing fine! English is a pain to learn, being one of if not the toughest. When we have different ways to spell a word based on the meaning, it makes it very difficult to learn overnight: ex- by, bye, and buy. All three sound the exact same, but all have different meanings.

Just keep doing what you're doing, and keep up the great reviews!!!

TY again!