Review: Olight R50 Seeker Compact 2500 Lumen Flooder (XHP50, 26650)

mhanlen

Enlightened
Thanks for the awesome review. UI looks like a blend of ZL + M43, very practical.

BTW do you plan to review the ZL SC600Fd III Plus when it comes out? Thanks.

Probably not. I'm really happy with the Zebralight HI. I've found tint is a really hard thing to convey on video... Especially CRI. I don't know... I haven't followed it closely but it's basically a different emitter with a frosted lens and a high CRI right?

I'll probably review a Zebralight in the future when a big, new revision comes out but I'll be skipping this one most likely.

TCY

Enlightened
Probably not. I'm really happy with the Zebralight HI. I've found tint is a really hard thing to convey on video... Especially CRI. I don't know... I haven't followed it closely but it's basically a different emitter with a frosted lens and a high CRI right?

I'll probably review a Zebralight in the future when a big, new revision comes out but I'll be skipping this one most likely.

Recently ZL spread sheet reveals that the high CRI version has one more mode than the rest of its siblings. Probably a one minute-ish 2000+ lumen burst mode, we dunno.

You are right about CRI though, no videos and photos can do it justice, you gotta see it to believe it.

Lumenwolf

Enlightened
Hi guys, am new to this but am becoming hooked on flashlights. I currently use a Thrunite TN4A but am looking for a similar sized more powerful light.
I am looking at the Olight R50, does anyone know how this compares as I like a mixture of spill and throw by the throw on the TN4A looks a little better on paper.
Thank you.

mhanlen

Enlightened
Your TN4A has more throw but less lumens. It also has more modes. The R50 steps down fairly quick, but it has a much higher burst mode. It all depends on what you need... more lumens? The beam pattern... just going by the numbers on the TN4N will have a slightly higher contrast between the hotspot and the spill than the R50 seeker... although the R50 seeker will have a brighter overall beam.

Lumenwolf

Enlightened
Thank you, was looking to get a brighter flashlight but with good spill and hopefully better throw in a rechargeable format but not much bigger. Maybe I'm just asking too much [emoji16]
Thanks again for the advice.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
The video demonstrates a reason to wait for the Pro version if it comes out ever: tail charging port rubber cover does not hold in place.

Lumenwolf

Enlightened
Yeah I think I prefer the look of the pro with the charging dock if it comes out. Looks
Like 3000 lumens plus so should have more throw than my TN4A, Just hope it doesn't have the 2 minute step down but we will see.

kj2

Flashaholic
Think it will have. I'm also working on a review on the R50 and it gets hot quickly. So with even more output, it will hurt even quicker.

Lumenwolf

Enlightened
I suppose in use 2 minutes is quite a long time but better if left a little longer. Maybe when it steps down you can switch it down then back to turbo unless it also has thermal regulation.

mhanlen

Enlightened
Yeah. Even 1000 lumens on a light this size would heat it up fast. Until LEDs get more efficient and produce a lot less heat per lumen, then many lights will suffer from this. Mass is really the only thing that helps.

Last edited:

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah. Even 1000 lumens on a light this size would heat it up fast. Until LEDs get more efficient and produce a lot less heat per lumen, then many lights with suffer from this. Mass is really the only thing that helps.
+1
Who knows what might be down the road in technology, but for now we have reached a limit of heat reduction or its management in a small mass.

mhanlen

Enlightened
+1
Who knows what might be down the road in technology, but for now we have reached a limit of heat reduction or its management in a small mass.

Yep. Bigger, brighter emitters are nice- but they basically just make the lights hotter. Now if they came out with an emitter that ran much cooler, then that would be a big deal.