[Review] Olight S1R Baton II

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
A question I'm sure has been answered before: I like the idea of the external charging, even if it means a proprietary battery. But, with the 2 external contacts -- if I drop the light in a puddle, 1. nothing happens, 2. the battery shorts. (pick one) :)
with the improvement done to S1R Baton II, nothing will happen to the S1R Baton II, except maybe a small scratch or dent... can't say the same about the puddle tho... :whistle:

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love my S1R II Spring edition in titanium.
(Neutral white LED).

The USB charging is really handy,since I can plug it into my PC's USB port and let it charge up.

revilo951

Newly Enlightened
Can I charge an ordinary 16340 in this light? If not, what modifications will I need to make to one to allow it to charge in the light?

fyrstormer

Banned
Can I charge an ordinary 16340 in this light? If not, what modifications will I need to make to one to allow it to charge in the light?
Impossible. The light needs a battery with a secondary negative terminal on the same end of the battery as the positive terminal. The modifications necessary to charge a normal 16340 in this light would be far more effort than it's worth. If you must use this light with 16340s that don't require a dedicated 16340 charger and you don't want to buy the special Olight 16340s designed for charging in this light, then get 16340s with built-in USB charging ports and use your phone charger to charge them.

Last edited:

revilo951

Newly Enlightened
Ok, thanks for the comprehensive reply. I think I'll still get the light. I'm more likely to have access to a USB charger than a 16340 charger.

Do you know if it can be used while charging (lower modes only obviously)?

Last edited:

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
Ok, thanks for the comprehensive reply. I think I'll still get the light. I'm more likely to have access to a USB charger than a 16340 charger.
Do you know if it can be used while charging (lower modes only obviously)?
unless the 16340 with built-in USB charging port is an IMR battery (the ultra high discharge battery type that comes with S1R Baton II), else, you will not be able to enjoy using the Turbo mode (either very short-live or the light will abruptly switch-off).
using the included MCC II charging cable, all modes are available for use while charging (however, I humbly do not recommend doing this).

Harpua

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the review. I ordered the raw copper version. Debating on ordering the desk charger.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
Received a surprise from Olight today... wow... :kiss:
PDmlnkF.jpg

xgoKuy2.jpg

A757DfC.jpg

:santa:

thegreatgrackle

Newly Enlightened
rookiedaddy,

Thanks for the excellent review! I am currently trying to decide between the S1R Turbo S and the S1RII.

I saw your posted charge time for the S1RII at about 42 minutes.

Could you tell me about how long the S1R Turbo S took to charge when it was similarly new?

I have tried to find another review before bothering you with the question, but I am new and cannot find it.

bartonjd

Newly Enlightened
Is the friendship edition available for purchase somewhere?

Last edited:

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
...I saw your posted charge time for the S1RII at about 42 minutes.
Could you tell me about how long the S1R Turbo S took to charge when it was similarly new?
I tested the older S1R Turbo S using the included MCC charger, it takes approximately 1 hour 15 minutes to fully charge the battery from a fully discharged state (battery protection circuit tripped).
however, do note that from my testing, the new ORB-16C05-10C included in S1R Baton II does have lower capacity than the older ORB-163C05 included in S1R Baton Turbo S. Couple with the higher charging rate of the MCC II (included in S1R Baton II), these factors affects the charging time.

Is the friendship edition available for purchase somewhere?
I honestly don't know, the box that it came in says "not for sale"...

I must know more about the Friendship edition. Is that heat treated Ti? What colour temperature is marked on the bezel?
I think it's the same PVD coated as other limited Ti edition. The colour temperature is 6500K.

bartonjd

Newly Enlightened
I like the color better than the the other editions (except winter) too bad it's not one they will be distributing for fun purchase.
EDIT:I heard frm Olight, this edition is only for their employees.

Last edited:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my Spring version in Titanium of the S1R Baton II and it is an awesome light with an excellent CRI. Also got the standard black aluminum version which is whiter and of course brighter by a little bit. Love these lights. Still on sale for about 8 more hours at the Olightstore dot com for $69 versus regular $99 ! Aluminum one is on sale too for even less.

kimloris

Newly Enlightened
I received my Winter and Spring today.
I did not received my free bonus gift though, I emailed customer service, we'll see what they say about that.

There was more stuff in the box than I expected such as the battery plastic storage box, the carrying pouch and the lanyard.

The winter led color temperature is indeed very warm, almost incandescent bulb warm.
I think I prefer the neutral white from the Spring edition.

On both, you need to unscrew and remove the plastic tag on the battery (proprietary) and the threads were very grippy as you can expect from titanium.

One thing that I may not like so much is the magnet. It is very powerful and lighter steel objects (spare battery, keys,...) come flying to the light and stick to the tail.

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
If Olight would offer the S2R in Copper with a neutral white LED option..

I'd be all over it.

(I love my S1R II,but the shorter battery life is a little annoying when you crank up the brightness...)

Rwilliam

Newly Enlightened
Nice review! Thx. Bought one for Xmas, for my wife for edc she is very happy! The UI was easy. Goes well with her Brous silent soldier box opener.

Latest posts