Review: Olight S2A. With runtimes, battery comparisons, beamshots, and more.

mhanlen

Enlightened
Olight S2A Review (XM-L2, 2x AA)

Hey there, got another Olight review for you- this time the 2x AA powered Olight S2A. It's a nice EDC light for people who prefer a AA formatted light. I go over the UI, compare it to other lights in a beamshot section, and test the output modes. One of the cool things about the runtime section is that I compare lithium primaries, alkalines, and Eneloops. Anyway... all the talking is in the review. Going Gear provided this for review.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
once again an outstanding review you obviously put a lot of work into them. Think Ill give the S2A a pass. First that silicone sleeve is ugly. Does it have a super magnet in the tail like the S1 and S1A? Saving my pennies for that awesome copper S2 you reviewed

mhanlen

Enlightened
once again an outstanding review you obviously put a lot of work into them. Think Ill give the S2A a pass. First that silicone sleeve is ugly. Does it have a super magnet in the tail like the S1 and S1A? Saving my pennies for that awesome copper S2 you reviewed

Nope... No magnet! Here's the thing- I like the moonlight being saved into mode memory on the S2A... I wish the s2 copper did this. At least it's has a shortcut to moonlight though.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent review! I appreciate the effort you put into it.

Where was it you said you get your "regular" batteries? ... Oh, never mind, that was your viewers, not you. (lol...)

I still have not settled on the right AA flashlights for storage in my vehicle. I like Lithium primaries and/or low self-discharge NiMH batteries for that purpose, because I don't want to leave Li-ion batteries in my car. Right now, I have a cheap 1xAA headlamp and an older 4xAA StealthLite incandescent stowed in back. Neither is my favorite, so they are relegated to emergency use. (I have been meaning to start a thread about the intrinsically-safe StealthLite, but that is another subject.) I also usually have an 18650 flashlight in my daypack.

The Olight S2A flashlight would probably make a good vehicle light. So might the Olight H05S Headlamp.

Last edited:

mhanlen

Enlightened
The h05 headlamps and tanks are both good options for people not into the lithium ion thing. The runtimes are great on both.

I don't mine carrying lithium ion lights in my car. Although I park in a garage at work. I wish the moonlight was a bit lower, like on the s2, but it's still a decent light. I don't own a lot of 2x aa lights, because of the form factor, but this doesn't actually feel bad in the pocket. It's not too big in diameter.

Latest posts