Review/Overview: LumensFactory E Series XPG Head Unit

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm i like this :)

you could shave the reflector so it fits the e head..... or how big is just the pill and use the e series reflector just mill down the tower tube ?

Last edited:

naked2

Enlightened
It doesn't have a "tower tube" to mill; to use the LF module with an E series body, you must use the LF head.

mdocod

Flashaholic
I think that if someone had a spare E series head they were willing to destroy, it might be possible to get a workable solution from the pill of the module into an E head... Though I'd want to know I had a spare head to mangle and quite possibly make non-serviceable.

The reflector in the incan stock head has a tube that reaches down over the lamp assembly, that would have to be machined down till an optimal mounting point was found for the pill. Also, the pill diameter is a big too large to fit up in the stock E series head, so the head would either have to be separated and loaded from the front after some careful machine work to make it fit, or some thread engagement would have to be machined away from the rear.

Such a mod might be possible. I wonder what the little XPG would look like in a stock E series reflector?

naked2

Enlightened
I guess anything's possible, but why go through all the trouble and maybe render your E head useless, when you can buy a custom tower module to fit right in, and still be able to use your stock/hotwire incans as well? The whole point of this LF system is to bring lego-ability to the E series, just like its big brother P/C/Z/G series has enjoyed for years; I think LF has accomplished just that! I can't wait for an XM-L module to drop right in!

22hornet

Enlightened
Hello,

I got mine from Lumens Factory this week. It is the 3-mode 3.0-3.7volt warm tint.
I like it a lot and the warm beam-color is quite incan-like. On low, which is listed as 5%, the beam is somewhat comparable to an MN01, though the MN01 has a broader spill.
The head fits quite well on any of my 4 E-series bodies and, contrary to mdocod, mine fits well over the O-ring without problem.

Does someone have an idea how many lumens this warm tinted led produces? I don't believe it is 280 but it compares well to a P90 or a Fenix T1 on high. Any clues?

Kind regards,

Joris

22hornet

Enlightened
I did a runtime test (under the shower so the light gets cooled) and managed 27 minutes out of a fresh AW 16340. This makes me feel kinda uneasy 'cause I fear premature cell-wear. I guess when you only run the module on low and medium (5% and 30%) things would be easier on that poor AW cell.

Kind regards,
Joris

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I seem to be the one not to like the head in original state.
I got one like the one tested in Post #1.
low - med - high.

My primary "problems":
1st: it is not watertight.
When testing runtime, I put my lights into a small bucket of water to cool them. Here immediately a considerable amount of water came in. Imho from the front glass side
2nd: the mode selection does not work when hot.
when run on max for enough time to feel the heat when touching the light, there is no other mode possible than max again. It will not switch!
To get to the lower modes the light has to be switched off and wait for it to cool down.
3rd: the beam color is awful!
I have a cheapo P60 XP-G insert with a "cool" led, which is considerably nicer (warmer) in color.
The nailbender 6000 K XM-L insert is much more on the white than the LM, so my unit is more to 7000-8000.
4th: the cheapo P60 XP-G insert is brighter ... but thats what I considered be4 purchasing the good value head.

But: in fact I got the head to use with the fivemega SS 18650 E-series body. Because it is the sleekest and deepest one I know of atm.
And they fit together, as if built for exactly that purpose.
:)
I would have been surprised if it were good enough to use, but it offers most of the initial goodies to put in a real good individualized insert.
Just have to get it watertight ...

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
sorry to herar your not happy, mine is perfect id contact lumens factory they will sort it for you asap.
fyi, when i unscrew my bezel there is more than one o ring under there on the threads on my example.
mine is fully waterproof
mine is a normal model but is my warmest xp-g by far
it works as it should regardless of heat.

good luck

mdocod

Flashaholic
Hello Yellow,

That's terrible. Where did you order the unit from?

I'm not even aware of a cool LED from LF. Every module I've ever got from them was a nuetral tint, with the exception of the high CRI warm tint XPG in the E series head.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not even aware of a cool LED from LF. Every module I've ever got from them was a nuetral tint, with the exception of the high CRI warm tint XPG in the E series head.
LF once said they don't use cool tint, only neutral tint at best.
Also said they could only secure a small batch of high-CRI Q5 XPGs, so quantities of these warm white modules are probably limited.

BTW, anyone tried this head unit on a VG body? I come to realize that it may not work on such body using the most current AW RCRs. I find that these cells are 1-2mm longer than the usual ones (even the older batch AW RCRs are a bit shorter) and that the cells' combined length may exert too much pressure on certain contact springs (not sure if the switch side is affected) such that electronic contact is broken somewhere. However, with CR123a and 17670 (even of AW variety) there's no contact problem on a VG body and the head module will function without problem.

That said, I'm not exactly 100% sure of that, since I only got to test just one unit so I'm not sure if the other units will behave the same. (LF did however once claim that their modules are guaranteed to function on SF bodies but not VGs). Has anyone had this experience?

Last edited:

Shurefire

Newly Enlightened
I bought one for my E1E. Overall I am pleased with the light, however I will have to upgrade to a 16340 IMR cell. This light just eats batteries, and gets ridiculously hot, more so than any other light I own (all surefires and a Malkoff MD4/MD2/M61). With that being said, it has the best mode selection rate of any I have tried, and has a nice tint to it (although I have never really cared about tint, I have a purple surefire L7). For the money, I wish I would have gone the m31/VME route from Malkoff.