Review: ThruNite TN40 Rechargeable LED Searchlight

druidmars

Enlightened
Firstly, thank you for taking the time writing and documenting this. You did a fantastic job. That along with the pictures left me wanting more! Moreover, wanting to own one!

ThruNite TN40 Rechargeable LED Searchlight

I love this light! Massive amounts of throw and OTF lumens. It beats it's closest competitor, the Nitecore TN16GT, hands down! For the time being, this is the best thrower of 2016. Build quality is superb, finish is superb, performance is superb...it was designed to be king of its class and it succeeds in that role. For LEO, SAR, and drivers, the built in charging makes it convenient to charge and go. This is not a budget light by any stretch but the fact that it is competitively priced plus has the battery pack and charger makes it even more appealing for both first time high-performance light buyers and seasoned pros alike.

I only have one question for you. You mentioned it's the best thrower of 2016. What about the Acebeam k70 (which I don't own btw)? I know it's another concept; It's XHP35 HI. Still, it's rated for 1300m throw. Care to express your opinion on this, even if you don't own one as well? I think I will choose one of those two to retire my Olight SR90. I confess I like the battery pack. I've had the SR90 for six years and zero problems and therefore anticipate the same for Thrunite.

drummer132132

Enlightened
Firstly, thank you for taking the time writing and documenting this. You did a fantastic job. That along with the pictures left me wanting more! Moreover, wanting to own one!

I only have one question for you. You mentioned it's the best thrower of 2016. What about the Acebeam k70 (which I don't own btw)? I know it's another concept; It's XHP35 HI. Still, it's rated for 1300m throw. Care to express your opinion on this, even if you don't own one as well? I think I will choose one of those two to retire my Olight SR90. I confess I like the battery pack. I've had the SR90 for six years and zero problems and therefore anticipate the same for Thrunite.

Just to add my own 2 cents on which one to get I'd probably choose the TN40 over the k70 for multiple reasons. First being the TN40 should have the bigger hotspot which means more being shown when looking off into the distance and in my opinion more usable. Second is the spill will also be brighter and again more usable. I made a video awhile back comparing some throwers I own. Two of the lights in the video, the k50vn and tk75vnq, are very comparable to the k70 and TN40 but both of my lights throw less though not by much. The distance the lights were lighting up (they could go further) was around 450 meters which is more than you will likely need since people at that distance are tiny. Any further and you will need binoculars. I found the tk75vnq (just like the TN40) had the much larger hotspot hence more usable. One thing though to consider is that the k70 will probably run cooler than the TN40 when either is on max output since one emitter vs multiple though if the TN40 is anything like my TN36 MKR the high mode is very heat efficient (probably turbo mode too on the TN40 since mkr will be hotter than xpl hi) and can be run for a long time before the battery pack runs out of juice. Also consider UI. The TN40 being operated by a button on the side vs a control ring. Personally I'd go for the button since with my k50vn I have to use two hands to change output. The k70 control ring is different now which made it easier to change outputs but overall I prefer the button. Not sure if the k70 has it or not but it's VERY convenient to have a shoulder strap to sling the light on a shoulder for walks/hikes. Nowadays if a large light I'm interested in buying doesn't have it I won't look at it. I hike with hiking poles and having the light strapped on the shoulder while using the hiking poles I still have easy access to it (tk75vnq).

Personally I think the TN40 is a very good light. You don't get this kind of range much unless you buy a modded light but in this case thrunite did a great job.

JohnnyMac

Newly Enlightened

I don't own a K70, either but I have reviewed Acebeam in the past and found my numbers pretty much matched with theirs for throw, so I'm comfortable saying the throw distance will be the same between the two. The sheer amount of light and super compact size (aside from the width of the head) of the TN40 gives it the edge in my opinion. I'm happy to be proven wrong and it wouldn't be the first time. There is still less than half a year left for things to change and something better to come out. In truth, I know for a fact that better is going to be released very soon by at least one manufacturer and eagerly await it. This is why also prefaced my original statement with "For the time being..." ;)

In the end, what is best to one person could be the worst to another and it's all a matter of personal opinion. It's hard enough to see something a kilometer away and I prefer the biggest center spot available. I don't care for laser-like throwers with their pencil beams. Too hard to find something. Again, just my opinion.

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does this light have the ability to externally charge a second backup battery pack while the light uses another?

Theodore41

Enlightened
I only have one question for you. You mentioned it's the best thrower of 2016. What about the Acebeam k70 (which I don't own btw)? I know it's another concept; It's XHP35 HI. Still, it's rated for 1300m throw.
...which K70 I measured some days before, and it was 590KCd!!!It reminds me a Lighthouse.

druidmars

Enlightened
Just to add my own 2 cents on which one to get I'd probably choose the TN40 over the k70 for multiple reasons. First being the TN40 should have the bigger hotspot which means more being shown when looking off into the distance and in my opinion more usable. Second is the spill will also be brighter and again more usable. I made a video awhile back comparing some throwers I own. Two of the lights in the video, the k50vn and tk75vnq, are very comparable to the k70 and TN40 but both of my lights throw less though not by much. The distance the lights were lighting up (they could go further) was around 450 meters which is more than you will likely need since people at that distance are tiny. Any further and you will need binoculars. I found the tk75vnq (just like the TN40) had the much larger hotspot hence more usable. One thing though to consider is that the k70 will probably run cooler than the TN40 when either is on max output since one emitter vs multiple though if the TN40 is anything like my TN36 MKR the high mode is very heat efficient (probably turbo mode too on the TN40 since mkr will be hotter than xpl hi) and can be run for a long time before the battery pack runs out of juice. Also consider UI. The TN40 being operated by a button on the side vs a control ring. Personally I'd go for the button since with my k50vn I have to use two hands to change output. The k70 control ring is different now which made it easier to change outputs but overall I prefer the button. Not sure if the k70 has it or not but it's VERY convenient to have a shoulder strap to sling the light on a shoulder for walks/hikes.

I don't own a K70, either but I have reviewed Acebeam in the past and found my numbers pretty much matched with theirs for throw, so I'm comfortable saying the throw distance will be the same between the two. The sheer amount of light and super compact size (aside from the width of the head) of the TN40 gives it the edge in my opinion. I'm happy to be proven wrong and it wouldn't be the first time. There is still less than half a year left for things to change and something better to come out. In truth, I know for a fact that better is going to be released very soon by at least one manufacturer and eagerly await it. This is why also prefaced my original statement with "For the time being..." ;)

In the end, what is best to one person could be the worst to another and it's all a matter of personal opinion. It's hard enough to see something a kilometer away and I prefer the biggest center spot available. I don't care for laser-like throwers with their pencil beams. Too hard to find something. Again, just my opinion.

I have the same approach. I don't care about lasers, aspheric nor pencil beams. The light has to have a usable spill. With such a large head, I thought that the K70 would not create such an effect. However, after having checked Selfbuilt's reviews on both lights, there's a noticeable difference in what spill and hotspot size are concerned. And also because in the real world one casual/enthusiast flashaholic like me doesn't use binoculars, so TN40 wins again (2 points for TN40).

About the UI, if the K70's ring is anything like the rotary ring, ACEBEAM takes the lead on this one. How's the button on the TN40? Electronic I suppose? (1 point for K70)

Battery stamina is usually favorable to battery packs, so final score: TN40: 3 vs K70: 1.

And finally, JohnyMac, can you lift the veil about the light you were referring to that will beat the competition?

JohnnyMac

Newly Enlightened
Does this light have the ability to externally charge a second backup battery pack while the light uses another?
Yes, if you purchased a spare battery pack you could easily charge that pack externally with the supplied charger. The problem would be having to unscrew the 4 screws that hold the contact plate to the battery tube. Not something I'd want to do in the field due to needing to carry a phillips driver plus the risk of losing screws. It could be done in a pinch, though.

JohnnyMac

Newly Enlightened
I have the same approach. I don't care about lasers, aspheric nor pencil beams. The light has to have a usable spill. With such a large head, I thought that the K70 would not create such an effect. However, after having checked Selfbuilt's reviews on both lights, there's a noticeable difference in what spill and hotspot size are concerned. And also because in the real world one casual/enthusiast flashaholic like me doesn't use binoculars, so TN40 wins again (2 points for TN40).

About the UI, if the K70's ring is anything like the rotary ring, ACEBEAM takes the lead on this one. How's the button on the TN40? Electronic I suppose? (1 point for K70)

Battery stamina is usually favorable to battery packs, so final score: TN40: 3 vs K70: 1.

And finally, JohnyMac, can you lift the veil about the light you were referring to that will beat the competition?
The switch on the TN40 is electronic but is quiet yet has a nice tactile "click" feel to it.

As for lifting the veil I'm afraid I can't at this time. If I break confidence I'd no longer be given info in confidence and that would help no one in the long run. Rest assured, as soon as I'm given the green light I'll spill the beans. I can think of two new lights in the works that just may surpass this light. One definitely will and the other may as well. Neither, however, will throw as fat a beam as far as the TN40. And no, I'm not talking about the K70. They will likely beat that as well. :)

JohnnyMac

Newly Enlightened
I'd also like to thank those who posted kind words in regard to the review itself. Knowing it is appreciated makes the time and effort worthwhile. ;)

nollij

Newly Enlightened
Great review, thank you. Was considering the Nitecore TM16GT and then I saw this! Seems that if I had a TN40 and a TN36 I'd be all set for close and far high output lighting!

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have on order fenix rc40vn flood, so I think I won't need this one. But stock, it's an impressive light.