• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Reviews - Oveready / TorchLAB

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Review - OVEREADY Custom Hosts and Accessories

Received my red HAIII 6P from Oveready last week - same tail cap / zero rez - only difference being a copper bezel ring. I didn't need it - but I couldn't pass it up. I've got the parts to do everything else you have as well. When Dan first came out with the Moddoolar line I thought "I don't need to get into another "system"" - I'm glad I did. My favorite setup is the TL50 body & shorty tailcap setup for 2x18350 batteries. I also have a clip on it that goes on just before the tailcap - allows me to run a lanyard round / through it. Great stuff - nice review.

The Ti version of their battery capsule is nice (Ano done by Matt in England). Sorry about the tilted photo...

IMG_4660-M.jpg

Figured I'd throw up a "legacy" photo of Oveready / Torchlab's triples - the head on the decoy is an M2-50 (fantastic!!)

LS3K8769-M.jpg

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Come On; Let's see some current photos of your Oveready collection. Red body and copper bezel ring? Sounds great. And if I am not mistaken, you've got that sweet GITD host as well. (Just adore the battery case)

Received my red HAIII 6P from Oveready last week - same tail cap / zero rez - only difference being a copper bezel ring.

IMG_4660-M.jpg

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oveready Hosts
GITD Cerakote 6P & extender
Orange Cerakote 6P & extender
Red HAIII 6P
Black HAIII 6P
Natural HAIII 6P (second run)
2 complete Moddoolar setups (multiple body tail possibilities)
2 "M2-50" heads, one an XM-L

Yeah I obviously need to take some new photos & yes I do like the 6P !!

I also acknowledge I have a problem with flashlights....

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow! Great review and thanks for the runtime graph. Nice reference to HKJ's battery tests, I read that stuff religiously ;)

My Torchlab Triple is probably my favorite light

Thanks for the runtime charts. Great dropin with amazing performance.

Thanks! HKJ's tests are awesome and a great resource.

. . . When Dan first came out with the Moddoolar line I thought "I don't need to get into another "system"" - I'm glad I did. My favorite setup is the TL50 body & shorty tailcap setup for 2x18350 batteries. I also have a clip on it that goes on just before the tailcap - allows me to run a lanyard round / through it. Great stuff - nice review . . .

Thank you. The Moddoolar "Shorty" discussed above was my first experience with one of the TorchLAB bodies and I have to say I'm on my way to being hooked. I haven't bought any others yet but I know I will. I can see a lot of possibilities in that system.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast

Next up is a mini-review/demonstration of the SureFire E to C adapter from OVEREADY. This is a genuine SureFire part that isn't normally available by itself as it is typically sold as part of the SureFire LU60A Incandescent Lamp Module (along with a P60 drop-in and Black HA Z32 bezel). However, OVEREADY comes to the rescue of SureFire fans everywhere by making these pieces available individually, without the rest of the kit.

Dan loaned me one for review but the E to C adapter isn't new to me since I've owned one for quite a while, but of course I had to purchase an entire LU60A to get mine! The photos below are from the mini-review I published at FlashlightGuide.com.

If you're not familiar with the SureFire adapter, it is constructed entirely of aluminum and has a matte black hard-anodized finish. The adapter has very prominent knurled ridges at its base to facilitate installation and removal and an O-ring provides a weather tight seal between the adapter and bezel.

FlashlightGuide_3270a.jpg

Installation is as simple as changing the head on your light. The E to C adapter screws directly onto the E-series body and readies it to accept any P60 drop-in and Z44 compatible bezel.

FlashlightGuide_3276.jpg

One thing to be aware of is that P60 drop-ins that don't use an outer spring (think TorchLAB triples, Malkoff, etc.) will require a spring washer to be installed to make contact with the flashlight body. OVEREADY has a beryllium copper spring washer available for this very purpose (shown below).

FlashlightGuide_3284.jpg

All done! Aside from just using another E-series head, there's probably no quicker and easier way to upgrade an old E-series light. (Note: The stock tailcap and CR123 batteries aren't rated to operate the TorchLAB Triple at its highest output mode. To use a drop-in that is this powerful some additional upgrades would be required)

FlashlightGuide_3279.jpg

Of course, an adapter like this is just as useful for making a temporary change to a light. Case in point, back before I bought my first diffuser for the old E2D LED Defender, I kept a Malkoff M61 assembled with an E to C and Z44 bezel in my bag. If I ever needed a wider or more general purpose beam than provided by the E2DL, I just made a quick swap and was back in business within a minute. Of course it introduces some less practical (but fun) LEGO opportunities as well!

FlashlightGuide_3297.jpg

The E to C Adapter is nothing new but being able to purchase it by itself makes it a better value and more accessible to a lot of users. Since I'm such a SureFire nut I consider it to be an absolutely essential piece of gear even if I'm not regularly using mine. It's just one more thing that makes my SureFire E-series lights more versatile.

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great reviews of all the products, I love some Oveready goodies! I keep checking the website for either a neutral XPG2 drop in or Moddoo head. Are there plans for a 219B triple? I'm really liking that emitter in my HDS, I would like it three times as much in a triple.

KeeblerElf

Enlightened
Re: Oveready / TorchLAB - Reviews

Oveready-Bored Elzetta Bravo Review

I just wanted to share some feedback about the Oveready-bored Elzetta Bravo. This brief review is necessarily about both the Elzetta and Oveready's boring service. I ordered the Oveready-bored Elzetta Bravo with crenellated bezel and high/low tailcap, along with a 2 x 123 sleeve, a 1 x 123 shrink-wrapped aluminum spacer, 2 x IMR 18350, and both the flood and the throw optics.

First, a brief mention of the versatility of the light: Elzetta's AVS head will run in regulation at around 9V or at around 6V, with different outputs depending on which voltage is provided. This is designed to work with either 2 x 123 in the Bravo body or 3 x 123 in the Charlie body. But the light will also run beautifully on 1 x 18650 (see my unscientific runtime test results here), and on quite diminished but very useful output on 1 x 123. On 2 x IMR 18350, the AVS head runs at about 900 lumens - in a package only slightly larger than a Malkoff MD2!

The throw optic is interesting: it produces a beam with a bright hotspot, on par in size with that of the Hound Dog. The interesting part is what I like to call a secondary hotspot: it's another distinct section of the beam, just outside the center hotspot, that is very bright (but not as bright as the center hotspot). After the secondary hotspot comes some generous spill. Overall, the output is impressive, and the beam is quite warm. I'm typically not a fan of warm tints (and I'll be on the lookout for a cool version of the AVS head), but I quite like the light.

The flood optic is another beast altogether, offering a very, very wide beam. It's not quite mule territory, but it puts the V4 Wildcat's spill to shame. It's a smooth, beautiful illumination of a very wide swath.

Naturally, I wanted to compare the AVS head running on 2 x IMR 18350 to some of my heavy hitters, such as the Malkoff Wildcat V4 and the Malkoff Hound Dog XM-L2. In terms of the throw of the throw optic, my eyes tell me that we have the following ordering: AVS secondary hotspot < Wildcat < AVS center hotspot < Hound Dog. Surprisingly, I'm finding that the AVS head is in the same ballpark as these high-powered lights. I think a significant advantage in this comparison is the tint - were the AVS head as cool as the Wildcat or Hound Dog, I could see the AVS head coming much closer to the throw of the Hound Dog, and much closer in total output to both of the Malkoffs.

Overall, the AVS head has output that's in the same ballpark as the Malkoff V4 Wildcat and XM-L2 Hound Dog. Though I've focused on the high output, the high/low tailcap offered by Elzetta is not to be underrated, as the switching mechanism feels reliable, and the output itself is a nice, useful amount of light with a long run time. The compact package and arguably better electrical versatility - available due to Oveready's excellent boring services - as compared to the Wildcat or Hound Dog makes the Elzetta a very attractive package. Add to that the ability to swap out for a flood or throw optic, and I think the Elzetta is an extremely flexible light. Finally, its build quality - as has been documented many times - is right up there with the best lights available.

IsaacL

Enlightened

Props on the excellent photos (in addition to your fantastic reviews). I'm a very visual person and I appreciate the good photography :)

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just got one of their 6P's and thought I'd try to add some more photo's to the thread. They are not nearly as good as the one's already seen, but I hope they encourage you all to send more of your money to Oveready:)

This is the Natural HA 6P with the black steel bezel ring and Zero Rez Tailcap. Sporting a Nailbender 4 speed Nichia 219.

Last edited:

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast

. . . I'm a very visual person and I appreciate the good photography :)

I appreciate the kind words. I'm a hack photographer but as I learn more I'm moving slowly from hating to take pictures to at least tolerating it!

I just got one of their 6P's and thought I'd try to add some more photo's to the thread . . .

That natural HA is sweet!! Nothing wrong with those photos :twothumbs

Stockhouse13

Newly Enlightened

Brasso,
Sweet Surefire 6P/Oveready. I was tempted to pull the trigger on one and now your pics are getting me to "add to cart." ...... What are your thoughts on the Natural HA color? Is it grayish green or gray?? Any feedback would be great.

I blame 880ARM for my Oveready 9p Fire Red/Torchlab H3 4K purchase....and its a light I would never sell. Thanks 880! A classic. 880 got into my wallet on that one..

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Brasso,
Sweet Surefire 6P/Oveready. I was tempted to pull the trigger on one and now your pics are getting me to "add to cart." ...... What are your thoughts on the Natural HA color? Is it grayish green or gray?? Any feedback would be great.

I blame 880ARM for my Oveready 9p Fire Red/Torchlab H3 4K purchase....and its a light I would never sell. Thanks 880! A classic. 880 got into my wallet on that one..

It is best to ask the Oveready team directly, what the specific tint of an item is you wish to purchase. Recently I got a medium silver/grey Triad tailcap that is unlike anything from a flashlight maker I have seen. It is really cool; very smooth and different. The 6Z body that was also in that order looks at times to almost have a gold tinge to it, but it is hard to describe, other than Very Nice. The Smoothie bezel is darker, with more of a dark green cast. It is interesting to have flashlights other than the same, mono chromatic black. (But I respect those who do want that)

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic

HA natural color is complicated. Many variables go into it but even done, there is no one opinion on the result. Lighting also emphasizes different colors, sun, Incan, fluorescent. To me eye, the last batch (including 6P and smoothies) are a dark neutral gray (like SFs last C2 batch) with no obvious green but can be seen if you go looking for it. Perhaps it depends if you consider green to be desirable ;)

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast

HA natural color is complicated. Many variables go into it but even done, there is no one opinion on the result. Lighting also emphasizes different colors, sun, Incan, fluorescent. To me eye, the last batch (including 6P and smoothies) are a dark neutral gray (like SFs last C2 batch) with no obvious green but can be seen if you go looking for it. Perhaps it depends if you consider green to be desirable ;)

Agree

Like LED tints, it seems different people see different things. I would add to that: I'll see different hues at different times from the same emitter!

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mine looks green. Just about a perfect match to the Surefire greenish HA that you get on E2L's, etc. At least that's how I see it. I think that the photos of them look a bit gray just because of the way the light reflects off of them.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have fallen way behind on adding reviews to this thread so I will start catching up with one I finished tonight on the bored Elzetta bodies from OVEREADY. I bought a bored Charlie body for my personal use a few months ago and Dan was good enough to let me borrow a bored Bravo body for use during the review.

OVERVIEW

KeeblerElf already did a fine job of describing his experience with the bored Bravo body so I won't go into all the same details. Suffice to say that these bored tubes are just like everything else I have received from Elzetta or OVEREADY with quality machining throughout. You can go to my site to read the full review if you want all the boring details, no pun intended!

DSCF1843-800x547.jpg

Everything fits together like it should and the bored bodies work with all of the other stock Elzetta parts with the exception of the Rotary tailcap (press for momentary, twist for constant-on). This is due to the fact that the Rotary tailcap uses a narrower contact disk than the click-type tailcaps and the narrower lip of the bored body (shown on left) will not allow reliable operation.

DSCF1829-800x486.jpg

The battery compartment has been enlarged to 18.75mm versus the 17.33mm of the stock Elzetta body and AW 18xx0 cells fit with ease. The Bravo can now be used with 1x18650 or 2x18350 and the Charlie can handle 2x18490 cells comfortably. Protected AW 18500 cells are a bit longer than 3xCR123 and make for a really tight fit (lengthwise) in the Charlie. Everything will go together but, in my opinion, it's too tight and really compresses the springs all the way.

DSCF1841-800x507.jpg

As with other custom bored hosts from OVEREADY, the Elzetta bodies incorporate a retention lip near the head that will keep the batteries in place when changing heads.

DSCF1836-800x476.jpg

PERFORMANCE

Of course the big motivator for boring a flashlight body is to use larger and more powerful batteries so performance is a key consideration. To start off let's take a look at some baseline tests with some rechargeable options that can be used with a stock Bravo body.

Stock-Elzetta-Bravo-Runtimes.jpg

These results are a little bit disappointing as I expected better results from the 16650 and 17670 batteries. The K2 Energy LFP123 cells did well but only ran for about 35 minutes before they crashed. So what happens when we try some bigger batteries?

Bored-Elzetta-Bravo-Runtime.jpg

Now this is more like it! The AW IMR 18650 and protected 18650 (3400mAh) made a noticeable difference in both regulated and total runtime. The big 3400mAh 18650 pretty much stole the show with its good regulation at full output followed by an extremely long taper as the battery was depleted. Although it's not shown on the chart, the 3400mAh 18650 ran for over 3.5 hours before output dropped to 10% . . . That's just crazy.

Of course when the Bravo is used with two lithium-ion cells (16340, 18350, etc) output jumps up to the full 900 lumens but these small cells can't maintain that level for long.

Elzetta-Bravo-2-cell-runtimes.jpg

Stepping up to the Charlie body allows the use of some larger batteries with a corresponding increase in runtime.

Bored-Elzetta-Charlie-Runtime.jpg

The 18490 and 18500 cells did a terrific job, much better than the CR123 batteries, and maintained the maximum output level for about an hour. The overdischarge protection circuit tripped on one of the 18500 cells after about 68 minutes of operation. With the 18490 IMR cells I ended the test soon after output dropped to the "lower" 650 lumen level. The 18490 cells measured 3.20V at this point (with no load) so they could have likely powered the light for a bit longer.

CONCLUSIONS

These bored bodies work exactly as advertised and really expand the capabilities of the Elzetta lights. I was particularly impressed with how well the AW 18650-3400 worked in conjunction with the Bravo body and AVS head. Although its output dipped slightly below that of the CR123s for about 30 minutes, the overall increase in runtime more than makes up for the difference. As far as the Charlie body is concerned, you can't beat the performance of the AW 18490 cells with the way they maintained the full output for almost an hour. The downside to the multiple cell set-up is that output drops really fast, without much warning, when the light drops out of regulation. As I mentioned earlier, the protected 18500 cells can be made to work but I wouldn't really recommend them due to their length.

As happy as I am with the performance of the rechargeable batteries, I feel obligated to point out that Elzetta specifies the use of CR123 cells for a reason (or even multiple reasons) for use in critical situations. Rather than type it all again, I have copied and pasted what I wrote in my review . . .

This is why Elzetta specifies the use of quality USA made CR123 cells for critical use. It's not because they make their own batteries (they don't) or because they are stuck in the past (they aren't) but rather for the advantages these batteries offer. For one, quality is more consistent across the USA made brands which introduces very little variation in performance. Also, the CR123 battery format is well established and has proven itself to be reliable in hard use situations. Add in their long shelf life and gradual decline in output as they are depleted and the primary batteries have a lot going for them. These are all things to consider before making the switch to rechargeable batteries.

I agree with their reasoning but for the more mundane uses that I normally encounter, the bored bodies are just what I needed and I love 'em! Aside from that I believe the Bravo body with an unprotected 18650 would be about as reliable as you can get with a rechargeable battery.

If you want to get caught up on reviews of other OVEREADY products (until I get them posted here) you can check out the OVEREADY Reviews section on FlashlightGuide.com

Thanks for reading! :wave:

Peace Train

Enlightened

Jim, this is a really nice complement to your website reviews and the Oveready site itself. Your posts along with everyone else's comments are helping to answer a lot of questions I had, and provide other options I hadn't considered.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice review. :thumbsup:

Thank you sir

Jim, this is a really nice complement to your website reviews and the Oveready site itself. Your posts along with everyone else's comments are helping to answer a lot of questions I had, and provide other options I hadn't considered.

It's interesting you mention that. Back when I first discovered all of the aftermarket stuff that was available from OVEREADY and other places I had trouble visualizing all of the different possibilities and how they would work. I'm fortunate to have the opportunity to play around with some of this stuff now and hopefully can help others come up with their own ideas.