ReviewTheLight: Olight R40 Seeker (26650 Cell and Built-In USB Charger, >1000 Lm)

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: ReviewTheLight: Olight R40 Seeker (26650 Cell and Built-In USB Charger, >1000 Lm

I am just reading this review for the first time. Thanks for a job well done!

At first, I thought there must be some sort of error with the spectral analysis. Most cool-white flashlights show a dominating spike in the blue range, a deep trough in the cyans, and a low hump in the green and yellow range. Typically, very little red is present.

In this graph, however, the center hump is higher than the blue spike! You don't even get that shape with high-CRI Nichia emitters.

My guess is that the "correction" I highlighted in bold is the explanation. I guess there is nothing wrong with showing the "corrected" data, but if that is going to be done, I think I would like to see the objective, raw chart as well.

Thanks, again.

You're right, the raw data would be great, however, my spectral analysis software gets its data from a webcam, which performs it's own corrections before it even sends the data to the computer. It's on my to-do this to calibrate my spectrometer to a standard source, but I haven't had time or money to perform this calibration yet, so I only have the manipulated data. Until then, this data is just useful for comparing between my own reviews.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: ReviewTheLight: Olight R40 Seeker (26650 Cell and Built-In USB Charger, >1000 Lm

hey its the R40 thread again! Still have and love mine save for the proprietary cell. I stuck a 4000mah King Kong in it fully charged and the light was noticeably brighter. Unfortunately the Kong was to long and squished the spring at the head pretty well. So keeping an eye out for a better cell.

BrightLignt

Newly Enlightened

I don't get much use out of mine anymore. I've been thinking about doing an emitter swap for XP-L HI. There are much smaller lights that out-throw the stock R40 now.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast

cool. Interesting post pics if you can. I like the good ol XML2 beam out the R40 I did not get the light for throw range so its cool with me. I really like the in hand feel of the light seems pretty robust to me. Ordered a new SoShine 5500mah cell for it even though I know HKJ tested this cell to "only" 5000mah it is still quite a jump in capacity and the cell is the right length. Will be nice to finally be able to have a cell for it that is better all around than the proprietary cell and that I can charge fully to 4.20v.