Rewrapping a battery

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
How did you heat it? It makes a difference if you used a good hair dryer or a lighter

I make the main shrinking with the dryer and then work the creases with a BIC lighter. fast and not very close, if you overdo it the transparent wrap will tear on the crease.

I only used a good hair dryer. You never had the hair dryer remove the crease, only with the use of a lighter?

HKJ

Flashaholic
Saw your link...What noozle type do you use and do use the high or low mode? What is its advantage compared to a hair dryer? I can't seem to remove the crease with the hair dryer...

You get higher temperature with a real heatgun, this is better at shrinking the wrap.
On a hair dryer you can also partially cover the air intake to raise the temperature, you will not get as high temperature as a real heat gun and you might damage the hair dryer.

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
You get higher temperature with a real heatgun, this is better at shrinking the wrap.
On a hair dryer you can also partially cover the air intake to raise the temperature, you will not get as high temperature as a real heat gun and you might damage the hair dryer.

Really? I even thought that the heat from a hair dryer's was too much! Ok....

Heads-up: The black shrink-wraps that I got from FT are really bad. It does not shrink evenly..not even properly. Never had any 'successful' finish with it.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Really? I even thought that the heat from a hair dryer's was too much! Ok....

No, hair dryer is at the lower limit. The reason I uses a hair dryer in the above tutorial is because I expect most people has easy access to one.
Usual when I uses heat shrink I uses a real heat gun or sometimes a lighter (It can be a bit tricky).

Heads-up: The black shrink-wraps that I got from FT are really bad. It does not shrink evenly..not even properly. Never had any 'successful' finish with it.

It might be because you do not have enough heat.

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, hair dryer is at the lower limit. The reason I uses a hair dryer in the above tutorial is because I expect most people has easy access to one.
Usual when I uses heat shrink I uses a real heat gun or sometimes a lighter (It can be a bit tricky).

It might be because you do not have enough heat.

Using the translucent and even the ordinary blue ones yield good results. The black ones I have are really of poor quality material.

Olympus620

Newly Enlightened
I bought some pre cut heat shrink a few months ago and now I am almost out of it. I cannot find anyone anywhere selling pre cut pieces. Anyone out there have a supplier? Sorry for posting on this thread but it seemed like an appropriate place.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast

then there are dair dryers and Hair Dryers. With a good (nominal 2000W) one I have managed to over shrink a wrap in the front of the battery

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had a few rips in the insulation. Most rips are from getting the cell in and out of poorly designed lights. So, alot just comes down to learning how to workaround lights with too tight battery compartments.

Obviously, this should be a big part of a flashlight review.

That said, is there a super tear resistant heat shrink? What about double heat shrinking to preempt rips? I hear bedliner spray is tough stuff. What does the fenix arb l2 2600 cells do that we could learn from to better protect their cells?

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The batteries that are a tight fit will be even tighter if they are double wrapped. I think one just needs to keep extra wrap on hand to deal with each battery tare as you go.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
The batteries that are a tight fit will be even tighter if they are double wrapped. I think one just needs to keep extra wrap on hand to deal with each battery tare as you go.

I think the scariest was when I tried to put a brand new Trustfire into a tight holder, where the protection circuit sheared off causing a short and the battery to heat up and a sprint to take the cell outside. I still am a believer in protected cells, since once I figured out how to insert properly (or modify holder for more flexibility), the problem should go away in theory. While, a short in the light, water penetration, cord short, or over/under discharging, in real world is more likely, actually a certainty.

The incident does make me appreciate the need for some JB weld to reinforce things and make this near impossible. I sounds like the fenix cells arb l2 may do something like this at first read.

I do wonder if several thin coats of some epoxy over a bare protected cell would offer more "cut" and impact resistance than vinyl tubing. It would be easy to test if I had the time, materials, and cell that really needed repair... As far as epoxy paint goes, there are some good ones, but I am guessing a glue would be better where cost per gram is less an issue.

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe you could try and use some very fine sand paper and smooth out rough spots and enlarge the opening a little? I have a few hosts that will only accept unprotected cells. Only my Solarforce hosts will accept the double wrapped protected 3400 mAh cells.

LAMPARITA

Enlightened
Old thread but maybe somebody can respond to my question since I'm not familiar with batteries and how they work.

My question: Will like to know if batteries will discharge or get damage if I wrap (using shrink wrap) two CR123A Lithium batteries, one on top of the other, for an easy carry and faster replacement?

HKJ

Flashaholic
Old thread but maybe somebody can respond to my question since I'm not familiar with batteries and how they work.

My question: Will like to know if batteries will discharge or get damage if I wrap (using shrink wrap) two CR123A Lithium batteries, one on top of the other, for an easy carry and faster replacement?

No, except they may be to thick to fit in the light.

Some companies does sell CR123 batteries wrapped like that, I once got some from foursevens. The foil used was very thin and clear.

rc4u

Newly Enlightened
most local hobby shops should have or can get withing two days like my store the battery shrink wrap in various diameters..we stock it for lipos and sub c cells in various sizes...its not expensive and shrinks nice..of course the regular more rubber like shrink does work fine just not as many sizes..but for the most part i guess here the batteries are cr123 or 18650 ect...but just letting you know where to get it and if you need or want WAY better chargers than the wallwart go there also...jeff