Rexlight, DX X.1 & X.V, Jetbeam MkIIX & CLE, Fenix L1DCE review: RUNTIMES + BEAMSHOTS

gunga

Flashaholic
Re: Rexlight, DX X.1 & X.V, Jetbeam MkIIX & CLE, Fenix L1DCE comparison review - RUNT

Thanks Selfbuilt!

A low runtime is totally cool and much appreciated!

:thumbsup:

Most of the time I use the lights on low during outdoor use anyways!
:candle:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: Rexlight, DX X.1 & X.V, Jetbeam MkIIX & CLE, Fenix L1DCE comparison review - RUNT

Here you go gunga ... just updated the Low graph to include DX X.V on low. Very impressive at just under 29 hours, but only a third as bright as the Fenix L1DCE on low.

FYI, my C-LE is about 20% brighter than the X.V on low mode (i.e. CLE is ~3 on my output scale, vs ~2.5 for the X.V). I suspect runtime will be roughly comparable, but haven't tested yet. I'll keep you posted ...

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: Rexlight, DX X.1 & X.V, Jetbeam MkIIX & CLE, Fenix L1DCE review: RUNTIMES + BEAMS

Just updated main post with beamshots on Hi with NiMH. Enjoy! :D

FYI, I had planned to post a beamshot for a Low mode comparison, but the PWM on most of the lights seems to have distorted the outcomes (i.e. due to the long exposures that were necessary). I would have thought it might average out, but instead the PWM lights randomly seemed brighter or dimmer in successive shots taken at the exact same exposure settings.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Re: Rexlight, DX X.1 & X.V, Jetbeam MkIIX & CLE, Fenix L1DCE review: RUNTIMES + BEAMS

Great comparo selfbuilt. It just keeps getting better and better. Thanks.

Geoff

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thank you very much. This is a great answer to "Which AA light should I buy" questions/posts.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Just updated the low run time graph with C-LE, very interesting. I'm glad you talked me into it gunga. :p

Time to 50% was just under 20 hours for the C-LE, consistent with other reports for this light. So, in this case, the DX X.V considerably outperformed it with just under 29 hours to the same point.

But there's a catch - the X.V. dropped to zero almost immediately once it fell out of regulation. the C-LE dropped into a long "moon mode" of slowly decreasing light.

Personally, I always prefer a moon mode feature on a light, but the X.V certainly exceeded my run time expectations. And when you consider that on medium the X.V automatically dropped into the regulated low state when the battery was nearly exhausted, there's at least some protection for you. Very interesting circuit!

wischi

Newly Enlightened

Very detailed review :thumbsup:

But could you please find out how long the DX X.1 lasts in the 5% mode on 14500'ers and how bright it is in the 5% mode (e.g. bright enough to read a book or bright enough to find something in a drawer etc.) ?

Thanks,
wischi

KnOeFz

Enlightened

Great comparison!
Awesome to have all these aa sized light in a row.
:twothumbs

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast

+

selfbuilt
Thanks for your time on all these lights,
super info.....
:thumbsup:

+

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

But could you please find out how long the DX X.1 lasts in the 5% mode on 14500'ers and how bright it is in the 5% mode
Ok ... the Rexlight on low has just finished, so I'll update the graph tonight. Currently doing the Fenix on Medium, will do the X.1 on 5% on 14500 after that. Then I plan to do the X.1 on 5% on alkaline for comparison. Of course, each of those types of runs take a day to complete ...

So much for my plan to not do any more runtimes! :laughing:

UPDATE: The X.1 on 14500 at 5% ran an impressive 6 hr 21 mins regulated until the low voltage protection circuit kicked in. Initial output was 7.2 on my scale, so roughly the same brightness as the L1DCE on low on alkaline. I'll update the graphs later, once I get a few more samples to make a separate low graph (otherwise, it skews the scale, making the rest of 14500 results hard to interpret).

Last edited:

wischi

Newly Enlightened

Thanks, but there are still some questions left:

In your graphs, is the scale (relative output) the same for all graphs ?

How bright is 7.2 (the DX X.1 on 5%) in reality, can I read a book etc. ?

Why does the DX X.V last so much longer on low mode than the DX X.1 on 20% (ok the X.1 is brighter, but on 5% it is not much better - or is it the fault of the 14500'ers) ?

When I'm on say the 20% mode (for example) on the DX X.1 and turn it off, in which mode is it when i turn it on again ?

Is the DX X.1 modes system really so complicated ?

Is the DX X.1 suitable for every day carry ? (at the moment I have this one http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2089 but I want something more powerful)

Or is the DX X.V better for carrying on a keyring ? Now I have the one linked above on my keyring ..(I dont like twisties, but ...)

Is there a 2AA extension available (I do not know if its really needed when you can use 14500'ers ..) ?

I hope you can answer some of my questions,
wischi

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

In your graphs, is the scale (relative output) the same for all graphs ?
Yes

How bright is 7.2 (the DX X.1 on 5%) in reality, can I read a book etc. ?
I would say yes, plenty bright to read a book in the dark

Why does the DX X.V last so much longer on low mode than the DX X.1 on 20%?
The duty cycle of the 20% mode is likely several times longer on the low mode, hence the much shorter run time (i.e. the light is on several times longer). Of course, there's a lot of factors controlling efficiency, and I don't know what the duty times are exactly of the PWM on these lights

[EDIT: I can measure the duty cycle using my sound card as a scope, and have tested the JB versions of these lights. My CLE on low showed 7% on/pulse, vs 19% on/pulse for the MkIIX at 20% mode (i.e. the higher mode is on nearly 3 times longer). I would expect something similar for the DX lights, but haven't measured yet.]

When I'm on say the 20% mode (for example) on the DX X.1 and turn it off, in which mode is it when i turn it on again ?
Hmmm, not sure because I always physically click the swtich off before removing the exhausted battery. So it always comes back on at 100%, as I am still in advanced mode.

Is the DX X.1 modes system really so complicated ?
No, not in general mode. But it does take some getting used to if you accidentally find yourself in advanced mode, or want to switch back and forth.

Is the DX X.1 suitable for every day carry ? (at the moment I have this one http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2089 but I want something more powerful)
The X.1 is a great light, your call if the size is good for you for EDC. I have the powerlight as well, it produces an initial output of around 12 on my scale, for comparison. I keep a Fenix L0PSE on 10440 on my keychain, but the X.1 is a good pocket light.

Is there a 2AA extension available?
There's supposed to be one in the works, but no guarantees.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Just updated the 1st post with an additional "low" mode 14500 runtime graph.

The Rexlight just keeps impressing more and more in terms of runtime on 14500. Currently doing the Rexlight low mode run, and will update when it's done.

TOOCOOL

Enlightened

never mind found the answer :twothumbs

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Low mode 14500 updated. Excellent results for the Rexlight compared to the DX X.1 here as well.

1AA-AWLo.gif

Interesting little spike at the end of the medium and low mode runs on the Rexlight (i.e. just before protection circuit kicks in, output jumps back up to near initial values for about 1 minute or so, then shuts off).

gunga

Flashaholic

Thanks so much for your info Selfbuilt.

I think I should stop reading this thread, because now I want a Rexlight...

Cancelled my order for 2 because I didn't want to deal with the wait, now I regret it a bit...

:mecry:

How do you like it vs the Dexlight?

BT132435

Newly Enlightened

did they increase the price of a rexlight? It's $50 on the Kai site.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

How do you like it vs the Dexlight?
Build quality seems to be about comparable to my DX X.1 (which is to say, just a bit less than the MkIIX). Of course, mine has properly fitting o-rings, which the first batch didn't.

The 14500 results have convinced me of the relative merits of this light. But it's not really a suitable choice for gift giving to non-flashaholics (my original hope), given the lower runtime on regular batteries - and the fact that mine doesn't have the smart memory mode on regular batteries. That last point is a real PITA on regular batteries, unless you like being hit by strobe every time you turn it off in hi mode (or cycle past strobe/SOS every time you want to turn it off, to make sure it starts where you want).

As for availability BT132435, Kai is no longer selling them at any price. Supposedly Rexlight is looking for other dealers to pick them up, but I don't think they are worth a $50 price tag.

wischi

Newly Enlightened

Nah, the Rexlight was custom made for kai but only a limited quantity.

wischi