RIP Arc-aaa

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, after I don't even know how many years on my Keychain, my old Arc-aaa stopped working. It has survived countless attempts on its coveted edc role by smaller, bigger, brighter, flashier, cheaper, pricier a d prettier, but poop, man... That little fella just kept being the best at what it was. Damned shame Arc is gone now, as I would buy another in a heartbeat.

Now... On to a replacement. I want small (think original Aeon size or below). Durable as, well, as an Arc. One mode is fine, three maximum. The ONLY UI that is acceptable to me on a pocket edc like this is a l-m-h continual. No twist on twist off... Just twist more, get more light (like the original Aeon.... I would just get an Aeon if he hadn't ruined it with a clicky....still an awesome light, just not for Keychain duty).

Help guys! I've been really out of the CPF loop for a long time!

Sl1

Last edited:

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry about your Ark :mecry:

You just reminded me to check my Arc-P hanging on my keys, the pocket clip was just about to fall off , I left it on to protect the anodising a bit, It works fine :), Battery is still A OK.

I need to get a few lithium AAA and replace the Alkoleak.

John.

Last edited:

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Well, after I don't even know how many years on my Keychain, my old Arc-aaa stopped working. It has survived countless attempts on its coveted edc role by smaller, bigger, brighter, flashier, cheaper, pricier a d prettier, but poop, man... That little fella just kept being the best at what it was. Damned shame Arc is gone now, as I would buy another in a heartbeat.

Now... On to a replacement. I want small (think original Aeon size or below). Durable as, well, as an Arc. One mode is fine, three maximum. The ONLY UI that is acceptable to me on a pocket edc like this is a l-m-h continual. No twist on twist off... Just twist more, get more light (like the original Aeon.... I would just get an Aeon if he hadn't ruined it with a clicky....still an awesome light, just not for Keychain duty).

Help guys! I've been really out of the CPF loop for a long time!

Sl1
Get either a Fenix E01 or E05. That's been my EDC since I stopped carrying my Arc-AAA many years ago.

The E01 will most closely represent your Arc as it relates to tint, runtime and brightness.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get either a Fenix E01 or E05. That's been my EDC since I stopped carrying my Arc-AAA many years ago.

The E01 will most closely represent your Arc as it relates to tint, runtime and brightness.
Is there an old and new version of the Fenix E01, with the old version being not quite as bright but with a longer runtime, or did i just dream this. ??

John.

scout24

Flashaholic
Tinderbox- That transition was made a few years ago. The differences in both runtime and lumens are negligible unless you held both side by side. Both versions are bombproof.

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
As much as I cant stand Fenix I can recommend their E01. That is the only Fenix light I have that works. E05 absolutely not. Garbage. I have about four (4) E05 as I write this and they no longer work. Fenix gives me the runaround on warranty, I am basically out $80.
Better yet buy the Surefire Titan AAA with 2 levels. Thats what I did, is expensive at $60 but worth the money. Surefire will be there in case it breaks.

Last edited:

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Correct about the different versions of the E01. The E05 also changed in 2014 I believe, to a multi-level light.

I have both versions of both lights. All have been rock solid.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
While the EO1 is the natural equivalent replacement for an Arc AAA, it sounds like smokelaw might be seeking something fancier - twist more, get more light.

But since he's going to probably spend a lot more buying such a light, I think he should buy an E01 today in order to give himself plenty of time to shop for his ultimate keychain light.

The E05 also seems very solidly built. The modes are closer spaced than they should be for maximum versatility, and he specifically requested no twist-on, twist off, but it's still a useful design.

Thrunite T01 is a high-output, 1-mode alternative to the Fenix E01. The Thrunite Ti3 and Ti5 are twisty and clicky alternatives to the E05 with much wider mode spacings.

Billy Light

Newly Enlightened
R.I.P-- Thought and prayers sent.
21A01BQEYNL.jpg

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I have an old OD EO1 from maybe 2008 and newer black one from maybe 2016.
The older is dimmer though never compared runtimes. They live in PSKs with AAA lithium primaries. Getting an EO1 to replace the Arc would be a good option IMHO.

RGRAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was lucky to find these.
ARC original alm black AAA, ARC Limited Edition alm green AAA, ARC-P alm natural AAA, ARC-P GS alm black AAA, ARC alm natural AA

I was lucky to find these.
ARC original alm black AAA, ARC Limited Edition alm green AAA, ARC-P alm natural AAA, ARC-P GS alm black AAA, ARC alm natural AA

Oh! I say ol'-boy, not very sporting of you. smokelaw1 loses the use of his ARC aaa and requests advice on a replacement. However, you've chosen to use his thread as a venue to display yours. Bad show, ol' chap. Bad show, indeed. :ohgeez:

....... Perhaps you'd make amends by offering to sell smolelaw1 one of yours. :poke:

~ Chance :popcorn:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
It's the OP's thread, let him chastise a member posting his collection of Arc's, if he wants to do that. Let's follow CPF Rule 4 protocol, Chance.

Bill

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is the Olight i7R. It is AAA, 10440 with a rechargeable base. UI is low, twist more for high. The only part I am unsure if you would like is that it has a strong magnetic tailcap/Keychain attachment so when you need the light, you pull the light off its attachment and it is on, twist further for high(120 Lumens). If you don't like the "instant on", you just loosen the head a little more-it stays off until you twist it till it comes on and twist more for hi. As far as dependability, the light was accidentally dropped without me noticing. For three days, my Chrysler 300(that I parked on a gravel driveway) drove over the rocks and the light. Day 4 when I discovered it, the lens was cracked but the light works perfect. The titanium finish looked awful, but after a good cleaning & polishing it looked great. I bought a second one, but ended up using the original for a couple more years before changing to the Prometheus QR. They were originally $75, but I have seen them New for $40-$45.

Last edited by a moderator:

nbp

Flashaholic
If you like Aeons, why not just put up a WTB for an older twisty Aeon? The originals had two modes and the Mk. II had three modes, progressive twisties. Only the Mk. III has the clicky. Personally I love the clicky version but I don't fault anyone for preferring a twisty if it suits them better.