Riverrock/Aurora/Stormlite 2AA anyone modded this ?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Just to update this thread, I thought I'd post my experience and pics in turning this light into the a "space invader"

Aurora1.jpg

Despite earlier difficulty in getting the head opened, I happened upon this method which worked best for me: secured the body in a Dremel-brand table-top vice (with nice soft plastic grip areas), and gave the head a good yank counter-clockwise with a fairly large rubber strap wrench. Surprisingly, it came off rather easy. I had no success using my old smaller strap wrenches and vice-grips (with heat) - but this worked like a charm

Here's a few shots of disassembly, to compliment StefanFS pics:

Aurora3.jpg
Aurora4.jpg

Aurora5.jpg
Aurora6.jpg

After removing the old LED (needed to cut, grind and polish it off the aluminum base), and enlarging the hole in the reflector, I attached a dealextreme.com Cree P4 WD star (trimmed the same as StefanFS). I put a dab of arctic silver under the centre of the emitter, and used arctic alumina epoxy around the edges of the star.

And now the beamshots. I didn't realize just how sharply it would project the Cree die, even at great distances. It's an amazing effect!

First shot is at 5 meters (~16.5 feet), at the middle of a door (you'll see the shiny doornob as a reference):

Shutter speed: 1sec, F:8.0
Aurora7.jpg

The next shot is at 15 meters (~50 feet), same target

Shutter speed: 4sec, F:8.0
Aurora8.jpg

In real life, the "space invader" is even more distinct than the picture shows! And that's at 50 feet away ...

Of course, if you want to smooth that die image out without losing too much output, I've found a small bit of Glad press-n-seal works well on centre of the lens:

Aurora9.jpg

Shutter speed: 1sec, F:8.0
Aurora10.jpg

This last image is directly comparable to the first beam shot. Gives you a fairly even square spotlight effect.

Enjoy! :thumbsup:

spider-cricket-hater

Newly Enlightened
great.. great light.. I also modded it and have the "space invador" effect. I like it, but I liked more that smooth, moon shaped throw. I wish I could have it also with the cree..

maybe some genious would come up with an idea on how to do it ? Or is it impossible from the technical point of view ?

spider-cricket-hater

Newly Enlightened
also, there are MINI version of this light - that take one AA. Has anyone tried to mod it as well ? Would the cree light up in that torch without messing with the circuits ?

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have never been able to remove ANYTHING with a strap wrench.
All it ever does is slip no matter how tightly I try to wrap it around.

Is there some trick to it?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
AndyTiedye said:
Depends on the wrench. I had 2, and one was useless for everything. Bought a new one at walmart for $5, with a thicker & wider strap and a larger "heel" region for leverage, and it worked like a charm.

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes there is. Use a makeshift setup. I put flashlights in my tabletop machinist vise (which has rubber protection pads on it), then I use sticky tape, sticky on both sides, on the part that I want to take off. On the sticky tape I put a piece of heavy duty nylon baggage strap that I turn with the BIG wrench in the desired direction (strap needs to be held as tight as possible with the wrench). Works for me every time.

It's possible to get the moon beam effect with Cree/SSC. It depends on emitter height in relation to the lens. You just have to experiment a bit.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

i actually could remove the head by hand. seems there was some residue from glue. i had a battery stuck in it so i was hitting it on the carpet to get it out the head separated from the body. probably have to glue it back together.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I though I'd ressurect this thread to point to my runtime analysis of the Aurora Cree-mod on my single-stage 1AA/2AA review

In that thread, I've compared a number of the inexpensive Cree/SSC DX/Kai lights to a few classic mod jobs. As you'll see from the results, the "pre-modded" lights typically don't offer anymore than the DIY jobs.