Rofis JR30 & ER12 (1xAA, XP-G R5) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

mactavish

Newly Enlightened
Re: Rofis JR30 & ER12 (1xAA, XP-G R5) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

The Rofis JR30 is a decent light, I only bought it because of the rotating head, I already have a Fenix MC-11, that head only tilts "down", and NO Lithium support like most if not all Fenix lights so far.

This Rofis on a 14500 bat, this is of course brighter. Be CAREFUL when twisting the head, the edges are very SHARP, to make the head blend into the body when in the straight position, but you can CUT your finger on these edges, not a big deal if you are aware of it. I've grown tired of my twisty's, as well as my lights that have rear & side buttons, as you have to change your grip on the lights. So after all the positive reviews and suggestions here, I broke down, and bought the latest ZebraLight SC52w. And indeed the interface with ONE button, is the BEST so far of all my recent 12 flashlight purchases, including the EagleTac 25A clicky, which is a one button on tailcap design. While I plan to keep and use all the others for various special purposes or just for fun, the Zebralight is as bright or brighter then all my others, and it's so easy to access all the modes with a simple one button interface that falls naturally under your thumb.

mike280z

Newly Enlightened
Re: Rofis JR30 & ER12 (1xAA, XP-G R5) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

Recently purchased the rj30 in hopes of finding a way of clipping it to me to and angle the head to light my way hands free at night.. I deliver food and showing up to the door with a head lamp wasnt all that cool. Well after some experimenting I found more than one way to do it... Clipped to shirt collar, chest pocket, or belt. Clip it upside-down and then just angle the head forward to the right angle. Good balance of flood and throw it seems..

I have the gen 2 that can use a 14500.. however I have cheapo protected cells that are to long to use. I can't screw the end back on.. and considering my rookie status with li-ion I probably won't be getting any unprotected cells. Especialy because I have a cheapo quick charger that I'm sure would only aid in me suffering a meltdown lol...

My first decent aa light.. yes more of a specialty light I guess.. but perhaps more people should give this light a go.. its not like you HAVE to twist the head. seams very under-rated to me. Or I could still be in honeymoon faze.

Side note. (I like that I have the options of the blinking stuff, but really love that its hidden.)
The sk68 blew me away when I went to 14500.. am dying to see the rj30 on it... Probably just like the sk68 I wouldn't go back to aa though.

Last edited:

mactavish

Newly Enlightened

Bought (2) of "AW14500P AW 14500 Protected LIMN Battery", they fit in the Rofis, as well as all my other AA lights.

BTW: "gramar" is spelled "grammar". :)

mike280z

Newly Enlightened

Bought (2) of "AW14500P AW 14500 Protected LIMN Battery", they fit in the Rofis, as well as all my other AA lights.

BTW: "gramar" is spelled "grammar". :)

Haha. Thanks! So do you agree the transformer / rofis line is a little under-rated.
And I'm dying to see what the jr30 is like on 14500... Is it brighter than a sipik 68?
I just hit the stage where I'm hunting down rechargeables and a decent charger.
Prefer to buy local.. but the only set of duraloops I found are 17.99 for 4.
Any recommendations on charger brands that could handle lithium and enloops? Then maybe a reputable site to get the charger and batteries. I hate getting knockoff products.. $50 for charger and a couple AA and AAA is what I have set aside

mactavish

Newly Enlightened

Haha. Thanks! So do you agree the transformer / rofis line is a little under-rated.
And I'm dying to see what the jr30 is like on 14500... Is it brighter than a sipik 68?
I just hit the stage where I'm hunting down rechargeables and a decent charger.
Prefer to buy local.. but the only set of duraloops I found are 17.99 for 4.
Any recommendations on charger brands that could handle lithium and enloops? Then maybe a reputable site to get the charger and batteries. I hate getting knockoff products.. $50 for charger and a couple AA and AAA is what I have set aside

The specs show an increase on the "high" mode from 130 lumens, to 210 lumens when run on a 14500, with of course less run time, heat, etc. Lights like the AA Zebra SC52W, actually step down from the highest setting in 60 seconds, to save the light from heat. Nice to have the extra brightness, as a short time option. My Rofis does NOT Tail sit that well, the rounded edges of the tail cutouts for your thumb or finger, are small and well, "rounded" so it rocks a bit, and is very unsteady unless placed on a perfectly FLAT surface, like a marble countertop. I also own another adjustable head light, the Fenix MC11, though it's NOT lithium compatible.

For my lithiums, I have a PILA charger, for Nimh I use a MAHA MH-C9000. Eneloops ONLY here, now owned and branded by Panasonic. I don't believe there is a dual charger, maybe some hobby charger out there, I'll let others chime in if there is such a charger?

For now I believe the Zebra is the BEST all around AA LED light, due to size, output, and features, but the Rofis has it's place for special purposes, though the rocky tail standing does detract from it's usefulness when you angle the head to illuminate something and you want to place it on a table, not hold it.