GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
I m getting another watch.

Should it be the :
-Rolex Submariner
-Omega Planet Ocean
-Breitling Superocean
-Panerai Luminor Marina

It will need to last till I m old and be handed down to my grand children ;)

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
GR - buy what YOU really like. One of them must speak to you more than the others. They are all fine watches. Your grandchildren will cherish it coming from you even if it is just a Timex. Its most important that it serves your needs, and besides, you may well get hooked on mechanical watches and *need* to get several, I know I got hooked for quite a while. Feel free to PM me, I can answer specific questions for you. :)

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Omega PO in orange really screams at me for attention, but i m still considering.
Among these watches which will most likely to drop much in value after say 40 years down the road?

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Rolex GMT Master II and I suggest the Omega. Nothing wrong with the Rolex, but I think the Omega is the same quality but at about half the price.

FWIW, they make an Omega Seamaster in titanium, which sounds pretty trick. I also like the Seamaster GMT with the white dial. Very classy.

-john

Edit: Regarding the value - my guess is the Rolex would retain resale value better, but I don't think that is a useful way to look at it.

Last edited:

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
John N said:
Edit: Regarding the value - my guess is the Rolex would retain resale value better, but I don't think that is a useful way to look at it.

John - I certainly believe holding its value is a facet of the equation which should be considered. Perhaps not the most important factor, but not unimportant either. My son will probably appreciate that his old man had the forsight to seek out a Red Submariner :naughty:

helios

Newly Enlightened
Great choice in watches!

I have a gold/steel Rolex Submariner and it's by far the best watch I have ever owned. Nothing holds its value like a Rolex. I also have an Omega Speedmaster and its definitely not in the same league as my Rolex. The Rolex gains about 2 seconds per day and the Omega losses about 12 seconds per day. I also have a Breitling Aerospace and the caliber failed on it after 6 years. So I'm pretty disappointed in Breitling but my experience is limited to that one watch. The Panerai seems like a nice watch but it also seems like a fad watch (big is in now but will it be 20 years from now?). You need to go to a fine watch shop and try each one on since comfort can be huge factor. My vote is for the Rolex with its proven reliability, resale value, and comfort.

Any way you decide, you can't really go wrong with any of these great watches.

nethiker

Enlightened
I have a Breitling that I've worn for the last 15 years. I chose it over the Rolex way back when to avoid the prejudice that can come with a status brand. you might avoid the leather band as I found they wore out quickly with my hard use. It has been an excellent watch for me, only now being replaced with a Marathon GP because I was looking for something lighter for everyday wear. If you are interested in the Breitling, I would recommend checking it out at Costco.com. They seem to be almost $200 cheaper than watchesplanet.com.

Flea Bag

Enlightened
It depends if you're after just the external looks or the technical excellence of the watch.

I'm sorry to say this mossyoak but I was going to advise GhostReaction against the Panerai. Its looks are unique but the Panerai technically isn't that good anymore.

If you want timekeeping accuracy, the Rolex is really good. I can't speak for the Breitling you chose but I know the Breitling Chronographs are good and solid because of the movements they use. Some Omegas are really good value for money but some should be avoided. I dont' know anything about the Planet Ocean model.

Overall, I'd say the safest bet is the Rolex if you want it to last and last.

I also wouldn't expect any of these watches to increase in price.

Flea Bag

Enlightened
GhostReaction said:
What about the Green bezeled rolex? I saw it a while ago at a jewelry shop.

Were you asking me? Sorry but I'm not familiar enough with the Rolex range to know them by colour. Got a model name or picture I could refer to?

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
GhostReaction said:
The Omega PO in orange really screams at me for attention, but i m still considering.
Among these watches which will most likely to drop much in value after say 40 years down the road?

Buy the one you like on your wrist. It isnt an investment, it is something you will wear most days. There isnt any sake in buying something that will be worth a hundred dollars more in 40 years compared to buying something you will like wearing more for 40 years.

I would say that in terms of being overpriced for the quality I would rate the ones you mentioned as Panerai, Rolex, Breitling and Omega. In other words I think there is more hype added to the price of Panerai than to Omega. All are fine watches though that will last and you will enjoy. I generally prefer Breitling of those 4, but the Omega PO is really a stunner in my opinion.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chicks love an Omega man...:lolsign:
Maybe one day I'll be able to afford one. I'm wondering where NikolaTesla is on this thread, I bet he'd have lots to say about this situation.

Last edited:

dbedit

Newly Enlightened
With the watches you have listed, I think you have presented a good question so here is my opinion. First, these are not watches these are all pieces of jewelry that tell time so the value is relative. A Rolex will hold more of its original purchase price because it is a very recognizable brand, and as such it also becomes a target for would be thieves. If you travel to an area where that my be a concern look for one of the less recognizable brands. From the time you put a Rolex on you can see and feel the quality. Also from a reputable dealer a good used Rolex will retain most if not all the price you pay for it today. The others have not proven that fact at this time. For an everyday watch I do not think you can go wrong with the Omega the quality and looks of the watch are equal to the Rolex just not the brand recognition or the price. The other two are both quality watches and have the "in" factor today as being very sought after by those that want something different. I have 3 of the four watches listed above. If they all had to go but one I would keep the Rolex because I know it may be passed on by family members who may not understand quality watches but I know will understand the brand name.

Last edited:

stockae92

Enlightened
i would go with the rolex

and unless you dive (then go with the sub), i would go with the GMT II

rolex has inhouse movement, rich history and craftsmanship, and hold its value pretty nicely

yoshman

Newly Enlightened
My Opinion...

1. Rolex Submariner
2. Panerai Luminor Marina
3. Omega Planet Ocean
4. Breitling Superocean

If you want a watch that retains it's value - don't buy one that Costo or Sam's club sells. That ruins the reputation of that watch. It would no longer be considered an "exclusive" watch. Anyway, just my opinion.

Lynxis

Newly Enlightened
GhostReaction said:
I m getting another watch.

Should it be the :
-Rolex Submariner
-Omega Planet Ocean
-Breitling Superocean
-Panerai Luminor Marina

It will need to last till I m old and be handed down to my grand children ;)

I am a Swiss-trained Watchmaker.
ROLEX is the way to go for many reasons.

CLHC

Flashaholic
The "green bezel" Rolex Submariner is a special limited edition one if I remember correctly, with Rolesor.

Nice choice of watches I must say and the comments already given are sound ones. I had Rolex Datejust that I wore for 11~12 years. When the winding mechanism did break (my fault) the cost to repair was in the $700.00USD~$800.00USD range. The synthetic crystal sapphire had a small chip and the cost to replace was $350.00USD. I decided to sell it to a local jeweler here. He offered me $2500.00USD (paid $4500.00USD brand new from Tourneau) for it in the condition that it was and with the knowledge that it had to be repaired. That was 7 years ago when I sold it. So I'd say that the Rolex does hold its value even after more than TEN (10) years of ownership!

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
green bezeled submariner is a 50th anniversary rolex submariner nothing else is different

i must explain that the reason for my bias to panerai is that my grandfather gave it to me so for me nothing is better. but yes rolexes are probably the best of the bunch my dad seems to like his. and if im not wrong i would say the breitling is the most accurate but might not be the most durable of the four