Rolex or Omega or Breitling or Panerai

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, tough choices. I have a 16 year old Rolex Datejust and a 6 mos. old Breitling SuperOcean (Steelfish).

I love them both. My Rolex has been troublefree and makes me smile every time I put it on. It will be a family heirloom. It is a dream come true.

My wife bought me the Breitling last year as a 15th anniversary gift. I've always wanted a diver's watch and she obliged. This is a heavy duty piece of equipment, with capabilities far exceeding mine. The helium gas release valve generates so many questions. It is another family heirloom to be.

I never even considered a watch an investment, but when I found out recently what my Rolex appraised for I was stunned. I would go Rolex, Breitling, Omega, then Panerai.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Rolex Submariner Date and the Panerai. But my favorite Rolex is a white gold Daytona with black mother of pearl dial with diamond hour markers. :)

helios

Newly Enlightened
Yes, the Submariner is my choice for heirloom quality and 'makes you smile' when you wear it watch. However, my everyday wear watch is a Ball GMT. It is shock resistant, anti-magnetic, waterproof to 100m, and has a quality ETA Swiss movement. Best of all it has 54 tritium microvials for night-time visibility. A true flashaholics watch!

cy

Flashaholic
for long term value, Rolex is the way to go.

for pure performance, I know it's not on your list but go with TSAR or GSAR

tsar sub.JPG

Last edited:

Bucky

Enlightened
Omega PO.

Personally, although the Sub and the PO both have bold timeless looks, I like the look of the PO better than the Sub. If I was going to get a Rolex though, I would consider the SeaDweller instead. On the SD I like the white date wheel, lack of "fisheye," overall look, increased depth rating, and the fact that it is not quite as common as the Sub.

Remember that the PO will probably run you half of what the SD or Sub will cost so if it is close, I would think the PO would warrant strong consideration.

Bucky

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having had a few watches in that price range over the years, and a few from several of those companies, and having sold them all off and enjoying other much cheaper watches just as much if not more because of the less worry factor of scratching etc... I would if buying another in that price class buy one that at least might save my hide some day. The Brietling Emergency Mission transponder watch. I like it better than the Emergency because of no digital display.

http://www.finestwatches.com/breitling-page-10.html

product-detail-breitling-10882.jpg

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
What is your price range by the way? If you are looking for a super quality sport watch you should probably take a look at the Jaeger Master Compressor series and the Audemars Piquet Royal Oak series. Both are sport watches that are a major notch up in quality from the watches you mentioned. A Master Compressor (depending on the model) will not be much if any more than a Panerai or a Rolex, but again, are on the very top tier of watches. The Royal Oaks are as well but will run more by a couple grand. The Royal Oak is really THE sport watch. Rolexes, Breitlings, Omegas and Panerias are not on the same level as the Jaegers and APs or for that matter Vacheron Constantin and Patek Philippe although the Pateks in particular have nosebleed prices.

cy

Flashaholic
Patek Philippe, IWC and Rolex comes to mind as heirloom grade watches. Solid gold watches of any mfg will hold value.

My dad left me a plain rolex that monetary value is of little importance.

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have indeed considered a BALL hydrocarbon before, but after serious considering I strike it off my list for now. I do wish to get it later in spirit of a true flashaholic :eek:

But for now I will keep my piority option to the 4 listed.

I regard fine watches as the only piece of jewelery that I will ever put on.

Ladies will have all sort of "bling bling" to spent on and parade with.
We, MEN, deserve a good watch at one point of our lives :nana:

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
The very exact reason this thread was made. :)

I wanna be a good granddad one day, and my first grandson will appreciate and be bias of the one fine watch that I ll leave behind for him.

mossyoak said:
I must explain that the reason for my bias to panerai is that my grandfather gave it to me so for me nothing is better.

Woods

Newly Enlightened
I love my SuperOcean and I'll never sell it but I'm in the market for a nice used SMP as well. Rolex and Panerai just don't do anything for me.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
Perhaps my dream sportwatch....

Any suggestions on numbers for lotto :)

They have it here:
http://www.alanfurman.com/noframes/apiguet1.html

It is model:
Tourbillon
25969PT.OO.1105PT.01

And what a deal, $113,000 or so off list. Hard to turn down. :)

In general love the Royal Oaks, most are a lot closer to Rolexes or Breitlings in price. I have a Breitling Navitimer and like it a lot, but the Royal Oaks are top dog with the possible exception of the Patek Nautilis, but I just dont like the looks of those particular Pateks.

I would still go with the Omega of your choices, get it for what you like. Not for someone not born yet. They will like it because it was yours, not for any other reason.

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Perhaps my dream sportwatch....

Thanks for the words :)

I just returned from the watch store and the prices:

Panerai Luminor Marina = $5950

Rolex Sub with date = $4555

Omega Planet Ocean = $2640

Breitling Superocean = $1920

Others that caught my attention:

Rolex GMT = $4555

Rolex SeaDweller = $4710

Omega Seamaster GMT = $2640

Breitling Chrono Avenger = $2880

I guess I m striking out the Panerai since it doesnt got enough good mentions here.

GadgetTravel said:
I would still go with the Omega of your choices, get it for what you like. Not for someone not born yet. They will like it because it was yours, not for any other reason.

guncollector

Enlightened
If value-retention is a concern, then you're only sure bets are Patek Philippe and Rolex. And, yes, Panerai is also up there, but they are a relatively-speaking a newer player--and 15-20 years down the road...who knows?

No other production watches over thier "range of offerings"--as opposed to the stratospherically-priced tourbillons from a variety of manufacturers or super-limited editions--will retain value like the aforementioned makers.

I think, GhostReaction, you need to buy what makes you happy. This will make an heirloom that much more valuable; not that anyone is going to sell something with so much sentimental value anyways, right?

guncollector

Enlightened
mossyoak said:
green bezeled submariner is a 50th anniversary rolex submariner nothing else is different

Not quite correct. I am wearing the Submariner 16610LV (50th Anniversary edition), right now. This model debuted the new larger hour indices, so that makes it different that previous Submariners. However, IIRC, this new dial configuration will appear on all Submariners made after the debut of the 16610LV.

The "LV", btw, stands form "Lunette Verde", or "green bezel". It is a "Special Edition" as opposed to a "Limited Edition"--meaning that there is no (no matter what you may read elsewhere) finite number of production units. It is a regularly catalogued item by Rolex; though made in far fewer numbers than the standard Submariner.

I like it because to those "in the know", it has a special appeal. However, on the street, while eye-catching, the green bezel doesn't scream Rolex...as much...simply because most folks don't associate the green with Rolex.

The "LV" used to command quite a premium...selling for $1000-2500 over list. Don't know if that's still the case, but its definitely still a highly desireable model because of its fewer production numbers.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
Oh and by the way. Dont pay list for an Omega or Breitling. Rolexes and Panerais dont get discounted much. About the most I have seen is 5%, typically closer to 3% off list. You might be able to get Breitling and Omega for more like 25% to 30% off list. This has more to do with marketing and supply and demand than quality or in the case of the Panerai, trendiness. But dont pay list, Ive even seen slight discounts on Panerai.