Rolled my own tooling--opinions?

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Getting more familiar with my new friend the Atlas by now, so I figured I better start making accessories for her. A boring bar holder was something I'd been needing. Patterned after one I saw being sold on eBay.

Any critiques of what I cranked out? Has holes for 1/2" and 3/8" bars, can be set for on-centerline or under-centerline alignment with that spacer next to the compound. Those stainless Army-OD cap screws will be replaced with hardened socket-head types when I next go to the store.

bbh1.jpg
bbh2.jpg

Still new at this for the most part, but boy is it fun. Slowly getting more of the included tooling into shape. Pretty little old beast, isn't it?

atnew.jpg

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
That looks great! I love the fact that in many cases one can look at a picture and say "Hey, I can do that!".

What did you use for the body of the holder? It looks like aluminium, but I'm not sure. The lathe sure looks sweet too.

Daniel

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's just a lump of steel. Actually it's from a 2.5x10" rod that my father found in the road years ago. Some kind of truck pin probably.

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
You asked for some critiques so here goes.
I would have like an easier way to move the boring bars up and down. Being able to exactly adjust the height for boring is more important than turning.
Just my observation. However its a great job and will work 100% if you stick to the same boring bars all the time.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. I have a large quantity of lantern-style tooling, so I haven't converted to an Aloris type toolpost yet. The old style boring bar holders don't give you much play, either.

CNC Dan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Anglepoise said:
I would have like an easier way to move the boring bars up and down. Being able to exactly adjust the height for boring is more important than turning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, and being a little above center is where you want to be.
A simmilar boring bar holder is sawn through so that the bolt that clamps it to the carrage also clamps the bar. The bar not being clamped by screws on a flat spot on the bar, is now free to rotate in the holder to set the center hight.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flat spot? These are normal round bars. I haven't had any trouble getting them set at the right position. Unless I ended up using a really off bar it all lines up with some tweaking.

CNC Dan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
ABTOMAT said:
Flat spot? These are normal round bars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some boring bars are made to be held via a set screw in a sleave.
the bar has a flat surface along the length for the end of the set screw to bear on. This also keeps the bar in the proper location.

In addition, if you dont have the flat area, and the set screw digs into the boring bar, it can be difucult to remove it from the sleave.