ROP 6CBP vs 7aa vs LE/large vs 6CBP spring mod (ceiling bounce) & tailcap twist

Delvance

Delvance

Enlightened
I was curious as to how much a ROP on 7AA outperforms a 6AA CBP ROP and how my 2S2P ROP compares to the AA version so i conducted a few ceiling bounce tests.

Each light/test used the same reflector (not model but the physical unit) to keep variables down.

2D ROP
7AA consumer grade rechargeables
Stock switch
Tailcap was NOT used, i used a copper wire to short it out to turn the light on
Result: 15.9 Lux

2D ROP
6 CBP1650
Stock switch
Tailcap was NOT used, i used a copper wire to short it out to turn the light on
Result: 15.0Lux

Now here's an interesting one
2D ROP
6 CBP1650
Stock switch
Tailcap was USED, no copper wire this time
Result: 14.5

2D ROP
6 CBP1650
Switch now contains the solderwick spring mod (but only this fix)
Tailcap was USED
Result: 17.2

3D ROP
2S2P 18650 LIon
Full switch fix
Tailcap was USED
Result: 20.3

Notes: The 7AA ROP could've performed better, the batts weren't full charged but near (i'd say they were about 85%). Interesting to see how much resistance the [email protected] tailcap imposes on the circuit.

Conclusions: 7AA consumer grade beats 6AA CBP ROP. The cells i used weren't great so a 7AA good brand ROP (Titanium's or Sanyo etc) should perform even better than this test would suggest.

Considering how the 6CBP1650 with spring mod demolished the 7AA stock switch ROP. Certain users of the 7AA config. may actually be able to mod the switch for lower resistance, although i'd caution the better brand your 7AA config. is, the higher chance you will have of instaflashing with each resistance reduction implemented compared to someone else with a inferior brand 7AA config.

Hope this helps all us ROP owners and anyone interested in building one of these fine lights.

Edit - A simple solderwick spring fix resulted in a large output increase due to the high current requirements of the ROP hola bulb. On fresh cells, this bulb can pull 4.1 amps+ easy. Circuit resistance doesn't affect high voltage/low current setups nearly as much as a low voltage/high current setup.

Last edited:
Blindasabat

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: ROP 6CBP vs 7aa vs LE/large vs 6CBP spring mod (ceiling bounce) & tailcap twist

Good info. I just got my ModaMag 6AA to 2D adapter and fired up the ROP low with consumer NIMH AA's. Not entirely a worldbeater with the batteries I have, so I put it in the 3D with a D cell underneath. I know, Big NO-NO mixing batteries, but to just try it for a minute to see what a 7-cell would do, it worked. I need to get me some higher current capacity batteries and do the switch mod. I'm going to try some proGold contact cleaner on the contacts too.
<edit> OK, a few seconds later I dropped in the ROP High bulb and yeah, that's brighter.... Cool.

Last edited:
Y

Yellobie

Newly Enlightened
Re: ROP 6CBP vs 7aa vs LE/large vs 6CBP spring mod (ceiling bounce) & tailcap twist

Good Job Delvance!! Thanks for the comparison.

I had the original ROP-LE, running 2 X 18650 on a 2C, with contacts all pro-golded. The resistance on the stock "C" switch seems to be much lower than the stock "D" switch from the readings of my lowend DMM.

I wonder how does the original 2s ROP-LE compares to your 2s2p 18650 version thou. I believe the original 2s should be slightly lower in output since its drawing about 2c while 2s2p are less than 1c.

Lips

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast

Anybody have the Switch Mod and Spring Mod bookmarked. Couldn't find them. Thanks

Delvance

Delvance

Enlightened

Yellobie,

Thanks. It would be interesting to compare my ROP to a 2C LE model or even the 4D SubC model. It obliterates my 2D with CBPs and spring mod though.

I've heard that the C switch is better made than the D switch, hrmm interesting...i'll have to get a C [email protected] and muck around with it :).

Edit - How's your 100+ watter [email protected] coming along ? :)

Last edited:
Lips

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thank you Sir :)

Is there a mod for the tail spring to reduce resistance?

Delvance

Delvance

Enlightened

Welcome Lips.

Not that i know of :(. I contact cleaned the spring itself and also where it sits into the tailcap itself. I also contact clean battery carriers, the end of the [email protected] body and also the part of the tailcap that connects to the end of the body. If you clean and progold them, that should help.

If you can find a higer quality spring that fits, please let us know :D

Note - As an example, i just cleaned my ROP LE large earlier today, and output (measured via ceiling bounce) increased by ~5%.

Y

Yellobie

Newly Enlightened

Delvance said:
Yellobie,
Edit - How's your 100+ watter [email protected] coming along ? :)

Still working on it.. Am taking it slow thou, coz am broke at the moment :p Looking forward to my payday! I got a dual function MOP from FM thou, and the opening should fit the 623 nicely.

Y

Yellobie

Newly Enlightened

Hmm I did a mod of the spring I used for my ROP-LE last week. I soldered a wick to both the top and the bottom of the spring, such that the wick now looks like a "clamp" on the spring. I got this idea from the switch mod by awr. Not sure whether how much this helps since I cant measure the resistance, and worse still, I cant remember how bright is the light before and after the mod! *cry*

Edit- Oh I'm not using the stock spring thou. I got a smaller, thinner spring which I can bend easily, thus giving the wick some support

Last edited:
Delvance

Delvance

Enlightened

Yellobie,

It sounds like you soldered a piece of solder wick onto the ends of the spring itself. The solderwick should be soldered to the caps that cover both the spring's end.

Haha yeah, before i had a lightmetre, the only way i could tell a mod improved output was by the whiteness of the beam.

Let me know how you like the 100+watter when you finish building it :D

Last edited:
Y

Yellobie

Newly Enlightened

Ops! I forgot to mention that the spring I was refering to was the spring at the tail end, which links the -ve end of the last battery and the cap where the inner part is de-anodised. I was looking for a solder wick with a "springing" property :p Sorry bout the confusion!

Delvance

Delvance

Enlightened

Ahh gotcha Yellobie!

I actually had a similar setup on my 3D ROP. As two stacked 18650s were nowhere in length of a 3D tube. I didn't use the stock [email protected] tailcap spring, instead using a long connecting steel spring. I also had some copper wire soldered to the end of the spring and the bottom of the "D" plate that connected to the batteries. It eventually twisted off though and i didn't notice much difference if any, with the beam, so i have left it since then.

The tailcap resistance, i suspect, would be partly due to the cheapie spring that [email protected] supplies and also the contact part where the tailcap connects to the end of the tube...hard to get around that one :(

Y

Yellobie

Newly Enlightened

Yup I agree with u Delvance. I suspect there are some resistance between the tailcap and the body. Wonder is there are any soft/flexible material which can be placed between the 2 contact points to improve conductivity... I had pro-gold this contact area before, but doesn't seems to help

DreamScape

DreamScape

Enlightened

Nicely done Delvance.
Just shows how much a difference the simple spring mod makes!
Interesting to see the effect the tail spring has on the circuit too.
Would be interesting to see the results for the modded switch with no tail cap, just copper wire!
Thanks for sharing Delvance ;)

lexina

lexina

Enlightened

Thanks, Delvance. Good to know that 7 consumer AAs beats 6 CBP 1650s. Initially, when i ran my ROP-high on 6 Sanyo 2500s, i was kinda disappointed. After reading that it was ok to run 7 consumer grade cells, i tried it today on 7 Sanyo 2500s and i can see a world of difference! Now for that spring mod!

mattyg

mattyg

Newly Enlightened

Can someone explain how you fit 7AAs in a 2D tube to me? I just can't picture it. I get the 2D -> 6AA, but I'm having trouble imagining how that 7th one fits in there.

LumenHound

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast

Use ever so slightly smaller diameter cells that are known to fit in the 8AA to 2D adapter or use a quad bored 2D Mag host.

lexina

lexina

Enlightened

mattyg said:
Can someone explain how you fit 7AAs in a 2D tube to me? I just can't picture it. I get the 2D -> 6AA, but I'm having trouble imagining how that 7th one fits in there.

I use modamag's 8AA-2D adaptor with 1 dummy cell. I managed to fit the 7AAs (Sanyo 2500mAh)+1 dummy cell in a stock black Mag2C but others have reported difficulty doing so and needed to resort to lower capacity cells such as Rayovacs 1800s.

missionaryman

missionaryman

Enlightened

Just an update for all who have read this thread, Delvance & I compared ROPs at the first Sydney meet, mine is a 2C 2x18650 (AW's 1.5C rated cells at the time).

The 6 CBP1650 was yellow compared to the two lithium units.

The 2 x 18650 in the 2C and the 4 x 18650 in the 3D put out the same light as each other only difference being that the 2C ran out of puff after 30 minutes. The C cell Maglites must have far less resistance in the switch, I have measured a steady 4.3AMPS before