ROP/LE Big D low bulb question

CQB

Enlightened
Hi:

wondering if we can use the low output Pelican Big D bulb with 3x123's?

I'm having trouble getting a consistent connection with the newer AW 18650's... I must be doing something wrong. I'm even using the mag Ring kit from DownLoad. It's ok, I'm not in a rush or anything. I just want to make sure I have a nice high output light for my shift tonight.

So while I tinker away with the 18650's... will 3x123's work? Do I have to worry about a shorter runtime? anything else?

much appreciated!
CQB

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
The low bulb is not lighting up on AW's 18650's? Should come on in a single click. As for the 123's, on paper they should work but I think the current draw is too high :shrug:

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lips said:
I believe 3 x 123 is too many volts for that 6v bulb, it should instaflash...

Nahh, I hit my low bulb with almost 9v everytime. My cells are 4.3v hot of the charger. I have about 10 hours of runtime on it also.

CQB

Enlightened
tks guys!

I've turned it on using 3x123's for maybe 5-10 seconds with no insta-flash, whew!

Mr Light: negative sir, i dont have a magnet. But now that you mention it I recall reading somewhere these magnet thingies can help with completing the connection. Are these readily available?

[EDIT] I did manage to get my ROP/LE working with the AW 18650's in the beginning, but now I cant get it to work again! I knwo it's tricky getting a good connection between the cells. Will wait for suggestions for where to get me some magnets. I never knew magnets were good conductors! Guess I slept through that Science 5 class eh?

tks again everyone!

Last edited:

CQB

Enlightened
DUQ said:
I think the Source sells them. A hobby or craft store should also have them. Its the neodium ones you want.

Nice! Going to hit the mall today before my shift! Thank you much DUQ!

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
DUQ said:
Nahh, I hit my low bulb with almost 9v everytime. My cells are 4.3v hot of the charger. I have about 10 hours of runtime on it also.

Dang, never knew that.

Wonder what would happen to the Rop Hi with 3 x 18650's ...

Pokerstud

Enlightened
Pelican 3854 Big D LOLA is 11W at 1.9A, and I am running (2) Mag 2C mods with 3 x Cr123 batts and the LOLA, works great.

It's the HOLA that you should be careful with, it draws 4.3A, a little risky with these batts.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Wonder what would happen to the Rop Hi with 3 x 18650's ...

in series? the bulb would last for 0.0001 seconds, but it would be awfully bright for a little while there...

it being called "HI" doesn't make it a higher voltage bulb, it draws more current.

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HOLA would fizzle with 3 18560's. Four 18650's running in series/paralel is the best option, optimal voltage with increased runtime. Also drops the work load on each cell.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
CQB said:
Nice! Going to hit the mall today before my shift! Thank you much DUQ!
In the absence of magnets you could try a couple of different things.
a) A short section of desolder braid.
b) A small circle of 22 or 20 gauge copper wire.
c) A tiny (1/8") length of 10 or 12 ga copper wire hammered flat. It can be tricky to get the faces parallel. I place the side of a large open-end wrench and give it one good smash with a heavy sledge hammer. I've used these with CBP1650s.

You'll have to tape your cells together to prevent the space from falling out, but it'll do in a pinch.

Niteowl

Enlightened
If you got the cells from AW recently, check the packaging carefully. They should have been included and are tiny.

CQB

Enlightened
tks again for all the tips guys!

I received the cells from LightHound. I checked, no magnets. :(

Will try some suggestions from JimmyM et al. Much appreciated!

ps. tks to you guys I was able to use my modded 2C mag with the LOLA last night. Dealt with four teens drinking on property. They were trying to hide behind a vehicle. My partner and I snuck around them and my light was able to show me where the guy was trying to hide his vodka bottle down his baggie jeans. THe drink I didnt really care about. The fact I was able to do a threat assessment in an otherwise low-light situation was what I was more concerned with. No visible weapons, but still assuming they're armed. Aside from their odd outburst of profanity, all ended without incident. Back to my boring life. :)

Last edited: