Royal blue Luxeons?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been kicking around the idea of building a Lux3 light in either royal blue or uh... regular blue. For some reason, I'm drawn to the royal blue version. I'm not so much interested in flourescing anything as I have a few UV lights, but I guess I'm wanting some reassurance that the royal blue Luxeon puts out a usable range of light.

I have no specific intended use for this light... just wanting something different, I suppose.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

L

LITEmania

3W RoyalBlue in Q-III
WebColumn_15_6~_beam.jpg

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, and I'm sure this is a total newb question, but why do they rate the royal blue Luxeons in mW and all the rest in lumens? Have something to do with being too low of a wavelength to measure in an integrating sphere?

Also, looking over the specs on royal blue vs 'blue' vs cyan, it's amazing the difference in rated lumens.

Cyan (and green) is 64 lumens @ 700mA or 80 lumens @ 1000mA
Blue is 23 lumens @ 700mA or 30 lumens @ 1000mA
Royal is 340mW @ 700mA or 450mW @ 1000mA

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, on wavelengths:

Royal is 455nm
Dental is 460nm
Blue is 470nm
Cyan is 505nm
Green is 530nm

djpark

Enlightened
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but always wanted to get the answer. Please forgive me.

When I was modding an LSL, the led lens dropped out together with the yellow phosphorus material. Then I got a publish blue, it is more to violet than blue but nowhere close to UV. What could be this color classified?

cheap-blue-forensic-2.jpg

-- dj

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW, you are lucky, I had that happin too, but 1 of the gold leads broke. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. I was able to piwer it up with some small wires. it was a LUX I white, FWIR it was pretty clost to the royal blue color.
Jeff

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neat-o. Can this be repeated? Without the dome you should get a perfect flood. How does this affect the exposed die's life?

cy

Flashaholic
who's got an ARC4 forensic kit? it came with glases to see florencence. I think???

sure would like to find out if royal blue will track deer blood.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenled, intense blue light can be harmfull to your eyes. Don't focus a rb light and look into the beam.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, back to the issue of how they rate the 'Blue' in lumens and the Royal Blue in mW... can anyone comment?

Like I said, I realize the Royal is getting close to UV range and I know that UV is hard to measure in Lumens...

Basically, I'm thinking of building this Blue or Royal Blue LuxIII light direct drive on an R123 in a Legend LX with a dummy cell (or possibly a 14500 in an X1). If I had two otherwise identical lights but one Blue and one Royal Blue, would the Blue be radically brighter than the Royal Blue?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
It should look a lot brighter, if you can imagine, it would look more blue-white sort to speak. The RB would look deep pure color. The straight blue would be brighter, pale-er looking blue.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
The RB is no sloutch in brightness though. I have 1 LuxIII RB in my car dome light, with no optics, and the whole inside is lit up super bright. I can only imagine what one of these would do in a mag reflector, let alone a lighter (blue) colored one.

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am having "Chop" build an LE with Royal Blue LED; he stated that he builds lights for a "guide" in Alaska that uses same to track blood; perhaps contact Chop for confirmation.

jeffb