RRT-0 or Jet III M??

boloson

Newly Enlightened
this forum has truly been a blessing & curse at the same time. blessing that i can come here & research lights & cursed because the voices tells me to buy buy buy :devil:

i've done the research on both lights & really think that i can't go wrong with either but i can only choose 1 since i also will be buying an M1X.

i like the RRT-0 for its size & would me ideal for weight saving reasons. i like the jet IIIM for its programability (switching between 2 modes quickly), runtime & the size aint bad either.

what would be the more efficient (long term cost & runtime) when using rechargable batteries between the 2 lights?

it's for my LEO duty belt (EDC type)

thanks again for all the help

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have both lights, the M lll is warm tint though. jet M lll is my most used light at work, and my RRT-0 is my favorite edc. ill carry at least 2 lights at work and switch around with my quark as well.

if your going to use the M1X as your primary duty light i say get the RRT0 as a backup. its selector ring makes it really fast and easy to change outputs. plus its a great way to conserve battery power because its so fast to lower output.

the RRT-0 uses only 1 battery, and can take li-ion rechargeables.
the jet M lll can use 2x cr123a, or 1x 18650 for best runtimes. if you are getting the M1X ill assume you will be using either 2x18650 or 2x18500 w/o extender. so sticking to 1 type of battery for both lights might also be a good idea.

i think you should chose what would work best for you. you should also check out the Jet lll pro st. its similar to the jet M lll, but smaller.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The RRT-0 has pre-selected light levels which may decrease its flexibility just a wee bit as the selections are pretty decently spaced. The Jet III M is a tough light and without a control dial, it may be more durable as there is one less component that MIGHT fail (i'm not sayin it WILL fail just that the more parts there are, the higher the probability that something MIGHT go wrong).

Also, i'm all for commonality of cells, i'd rather carry spare 18650s all the way instead of different cells (of course bearing in mind that the M1X can also use CR123s/RCR123s but using them with 18500s/18650s makes more sense).

IMHO, i'd probably go the M1X with extender to run on 2x18650s for maximised runtime and the Jet III M, the size of the Jet III M may also make it easier to hold and use when wearing gloves.

But whichever choice you do make, these are all great lights.

Hen

Newly Enlightened
Sorry not trying to jack your thread.

Which one has better throw?

ToNIX

Enlightened
IMHO, I wouldn't get the RRT-0, but would stick with a real tactical light with a simple 2 modes UI. You wouldn't want to have the light turn off to a lower/higher mode when using the light.

The Jetbeam Jet-III M would be a great light! Also consider the Fenix TK11 and the Eagletac T20C2.

I know that the TK11 is a light that is used by a lot of LEO and has proven to be reliable.

Brigadier

Enlightened
I have the M1X w/ extender, Jet-III M, and the RRT-1. I would leave the RRT-1 at home. I am NOT a fan of the control ring. It is NOT a tactically designed UI, IMHO. The simple UI of the M1X and the Jet-III M make sense for tactical applications.

mpkav

Newly Enlightened
The Jet III M is a great light. Feels good in the hand a solid build. Not only can you have your second level a low but also several forms of strobe and SOS.

boloson

Newly Enlightened
i was considering the RRT-0 mainly for its size alone but almost all who responded appears to not like the selector ring? i read 1 review here and they said the ring is solid & built pretty firm. the jet III M does seem more durable especially since it's geared towards the military but i just can't seem to decide. might have to get both of these lights....RRT-0 in my pocket, III M on my duty belt & M1X in my bag? seems to be a great solution

i was considering the RRT-0 mainly for its size alone but almost all who responded appears to not like the selector ring? i read 1 review here and they said the ring is solid & built pretty firm. the jet III M does seem more durable especially since it's geared towards the military but i just can't seem to decide. might have to get both of these lights....RRT-0 in my pocket, III M on my duty belt & M1X in my bag? seems to be a great solution

I like the ring. I can see someone overly inspecting their light, feeling alittle bit of play in the ring, overthinking the whole thing, and verbally trashing the light for being weak with too much "play". In the real world I have no doubt it will hold up just fine. I also like the stiffness level - just enough. Very nice clicks, but soft enough that if I wish I can "throw" the ring from lower low all the way to turbo with a flick of the thumb.

ToNIX

Enlightened

The ring is nice for an EDC flashlight, but I don't think it's adequate for a duty light.

Just my $0.02...

LupinIII

Enlightened
I have the Jet III M and an RRT-2 which I imagine has a selector ring similar to the RRT-0. I agree with everyone that the Jet III M is a solid light - simple UI that still gives users much flexibility with output levels.

At the same time, the selector ring isn't all that bad either. I too thought the resistance on the ring on my RRT-2 was a little soft, but I've tried accidentally moving the ring and I couldn't in the overhand grip.

Both are excellent choices, and you suggested getting both - the bug in all of us approves :twothumbs

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast

sounds like a plan!

the ring works great for me, and i love it. if the M1X will be in your bag, get the jet M lll for carry. much better runtimes, more light output, more throw, better forward clicky.

boloson

Newly Enlightened
is the III M 225 lumens? i thought i saw on lightjuntion's site that it was 250 lumens? are there newer versions of this light like the M1X v.4?

henry1960

Enlightened
I do not have the RRT-O but i do have the Jett III M and the RRT-2 and i have to say that the Jett III M gets used hands down more then my RRT-2 for runtimes on 18650 batteries and beam quality with two modes programable is a # 1 EDC light for me. :tinfoil:

And one more thing; Get the Tail Stand Bezel If You Get The Jett III M :thumbsup:

LupinIII

Enlightened
Just wanted to add that if you do pick up the Jet III M, take a look at the warm tint version. I've never been concerned with the tint of my LEDs, but my warm Jet III M is one of my favorites because the color is so much nicer than all of my other lights.

boloson

Newly Enlightened
According to JetBeam USA's site, it is 225 OTF lumens.

1 is a CREE 7090 XR-E (R2 bin) 250 lumens & the other is a CREE 7090 XR-E Q5 (Q5 bin) 225 lumens with the 2nd being $10 cheaper.

can someone please explain the difference?

boloson

Newly Enlightened
And one more thing; Get the Tail Stand Bezel If You Get The Jett III M :thumbsup:

the ability to tail stand seems to be very popular on cpf. any particular reason why asides from the ability to light up a room like a lamp?

Just wanted to add that if you do pick up the Jet III M, take a look at the warm tint version. I've never been concerned with the tint of my LEDs, but my warm Jet III M is one of my favorites because the color is so much nicer than all of my other lights.

warm tint is similar to a diffuser?

i am a noob if u haven't guessed

Brigadier

Enlightened
the ability to tail stand seems to be very popular on cpf. any particular reason why asides from the ability to light up a room like a lamp?

That's about it.

warm tint is similar to a diffuser?

No, closer to the color of an incandescent lamp. This gives much better color rendition and depth perception, especially with foliage.

i am a noob if u haven't guessed

Also, don't forget about the tactical advantage of having multiple lights with identical UI's. Having to fumble thru brightness settings in critical situations isn't ideal.

LupinIII

Enlightened
Unless I'm wrong about the function of a diffuser, then the tint is not the same as having a diffuser.

Quite simply, I would describe the tint of the light as its "color". Most of my flashlights are very white, or "cool."

A warm tint on the other hand will look more yellow, or "warm."

There might be a sticky that really describes differences in tints, but that's the gist of it.

A warm tint, from my experience, especially outside, helps to preserve the colors of whatever you're illuminating.

And don't worry about being a "noob," I would consider myself one as well. I've only recently (past few months) been really getting into lights, and you pick up a lot as you go along.

And if I'm way off base here, someone with more expertise please correct me.