run time for different lamps in ROP

abinok

Newly Enlightened
Ive been gathering up some different 7.2 ish volt lamps for my ROP. I usually use the ROP HI lamp, but I can forsee the possibility of something happening where i might need more runtime. Ive got the ROP hi, ROP lo, Mag 6cell magnum star xenon, radioshack 6cell 500ma krypton, and radioshack 5 cell 700ma krypton. Is there any way to calculate runtimes and output of these lamps? any good lamps im missing?

English_Mart

Newly Enlightened
Can't help you much with run times as I'm not familiar with some of those bulbs and it will depend too on what capacity batts you use.

I'm under the impression that my 6D with 9500mAh D NiMH's might last 21/2 to 3 hours with the ROP high - but I've not tested it.

One bulb you'll want to look at is the WA01111, if you can find some potted ones. I'm not sure which are brighter though between those and the ROPs

Mart

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get a basic idea of runtime by dividing the draw into the capacity of the battery, but remember that some cells take a dive as you push the draw on them up.

For instance, even with 9500mAh cells, you won't get 2.5-3 hours from the ROP high. If they are good cells, you will get no more than 2.2 hours before significant dimming, and probably less. (I recall that the ROP high draws about 4.4 amps, divided into the 9.5 Amp hours of the cells and that equals 2.2 hours.)

The calculation though, is dependant on cells that will actually produce what they are rated at, and many of us know that only a few manufacturers of NiMH cells deliver the goods most of the time. The same for LiIon cells, where LG cells seem to be the cream of the crop in unprotected cells and Pila holds the boat for protected cells with AW producing a good product too.

If I were to choose, I'd run the ROP high (4.4A), then the ROP low(2.2A if I remember right), then the Reflectalite GH24 (1.7) for the best spread using the same voltage.

Bill