run time question...

Brian R.

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I'm a newbie and this is my first post. I was ready to buy a Pelican until I read about SureFire. Now I'm reconsidering my purchase...thanks to this BB! Lots of good info here.

A couple of questions:

1) I was looking at the SureFire 6P and I read the following statement (from the SF website):

"Provides either 65 lumens for one hour or 120 lumens for 20 minutes, depending on which lamp assembly is used."

Does this mean that the bulb will only last for one hour (or 20 minutes depending on lamp assembly) before burning out?
Or is this a reference to how long the batteries will last before they are discharged?
I know this is probably a dumb question.

2) How long does the bulb last in the 6P (P60 model producing 65 lumens)?

Thanks in Advance,

Brian

Gandalf

Enlightened
Welcome to the forum! The general rule here is there are no dumb questions. The smart thing to do is ask them *before* you buy an expensive flashlight, which you have. You are a jump ahead of quite a few people, myself included, at times.

The run tme with a set of batteries is one hour, give or take a few minutes, depending on brand of batteries, with the P60 lamp. I believe the lamp is rated for 30 hours.

These high pressure, high output lamps don't have a long lifespan, unfortunately; and SureFire lamps are the most expensive, in general, on the market. Around $15 to $17 for the P60 lamp. The E2 lamp is around $10.

I own 2 SF 6P's, and an E2. I just bought one of the Brinkmann LX lights, and for $20, it a good value. It's not as refined as the Surefire, or as small, but light output is as bright, and the beam is adjustable. This light is so new, lamps aren't yet available, but they are a simple bipin, and could almost certainly be as little as 1/3rd the cost of a SureFire P60 lamp.
The lamps for the E2 are less expensive, as the reflector is not integral. The E2 is really a more refined 6P, and it's due for an upgrade in a few months. I'd recommend getting the E2 over the 6P, and you may want to wait for the upgraded model.
There's quite a long thread on the Brinkmann LX, for $20, it would be a good light to start out with; the $40 you save over a Surefire will buy quite a few of the relatively expensive lithium batteries that these lights go through so quickly.

Sounds like you are well on your way to becoming a flashaholic....
grin.gif
shocked.gif
grin.gif
shocked.gif

Brian R.

Newly Enlightened
Gandalf,

Thanks for replying to my post. Do you know when the new E2 is coming out? In one of the threads somebody said Jan. 2002.

Also, do you know where I can check out SureFire lights in person. I've seen them selling online but I don't know which stores in my area carry them. I live in Rochester, NY.

Thanks!

Brian