Russian nightvision...scopes, what do you think???

Jefff

Enlightened
decent prices .. but 1st gen intensifer tubes suck IMHO .. also there has been rumors of the lower end russian NVG's messing up your eyes.. I almost bought that Gnome a while back and went with a ATN on ebay for less than what they are selling for .. used but new to me ..

Jefff

Enlightened
I read on a now unrecoverable web site that it has been discovered that some of the Russian NODs that are being marketed may pose a danger to the user through dangerous emmisions through the eyepiece. I think there might be some validity to this as we had to turn in our AN/TVS-4's back in the 1980-81 timeframe to have filters installed due to the same problem. Anyone else hear about this?

Jefff

Enlightened
and here too.. on the subject of russian NODS, i wouldnt use any of the 1st or 2nd gen stuff. when i was in the army we got to use a few of the warsaw pact stuff but all of us complained of headaches after using them for a while. a message from Aberdeen Proving Ground came out finally on the potential hazards of using Warsaw Pact NODS in training because of the unfiltered tubes. dont ask me what sppectrum of light they emitted, but i can assure you the headaches were a major a**kicker. as far as the "new" russian surplus, i cant tell you anything about that.

Frangible

Enlightened
Re: Russian nightvision...scopes, what do you thin

If there is not proper shielding in the design, your eye and head are going to be eating x-rays. That said, I doubt x-rays would give you a headache -- that's probably just eyestrain from looking through small optics that close to your head.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast

It was thought that the Soviet Gen I equipment tended to emit X-Rays. If you do get one you should test it with a piece of dental film.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast

It is thought that the Soviet Gen I equipment tends to emit X-Rays. If you do get one you should test it with a piece of dental film.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast

It is thought that the Soviet Gen I equipment tends to emit X-Rays. If you do get one you should test it with a piece of dental film.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Jefff said:
wow lol

[/ QUOTE ]

What's worse, the pesky thing refuses to let me delete any of them 8-<

X33

Enlightened

Must be a new record! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Topper

Flashaholic*

Ken, let me guess...You sell dental film, right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a gen 1 scope from Bushnell (Russian I believe). No problems with headaches here! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif (I only used it for a period of about 3 hours at once though)

Nice Ken. 8 in a row! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Latest posts