Ryobi 35W, 18V HID

oldspice10

Newly Enlightened
I just got one of these lights with the intention to modify it to use with an AC power supply. I have an inverter in my truck, so I would be able to simply plug it into the outlet under the dashboard. However I dont know what I need to install in the light to knock down the 120v to 18v to allow it to be plugged in. can anyone offer some insight? I know some people on here have done this mod before with other spotlights... thanks!

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got one of these lights with the intention to modify it to use with an AC power supply. I have an inverter in my truck, so I would be able to simply plug it into the outlet under the dashboard. However I dont know what I need to install in the light to knock down the 120v to 18v to allow it to be plugged in. can anyone offer some insight? I know some people on here have done this mod before with other spotlights... thanks!

You'd need an 18v power supply of about 4 or 5 amps. I'm not sure if that could handle the startup surge or not. You would be much better off to find a 12v HID light and plug that directly into the cigarette lighter. (It's possible that this Ryobi light could run directly off of 12 volts)

Bright+

Newly Enlightened
A running car is more similar to a 14.4v battery. The "12v nominal" system runs at 14 to 15v with the engine on.

kramer5150

Flashaholic

IMHO you are better off buying the battery pack(s) + charger and plugging that into your 120V inverter. Charge the cells in your truck and just power the light with the charged packs.

I was at walmart this weekend and they had a dozen Stanley HIDs on the shelf. At $69 it includes a 12V lighter cord... thats a better option I think than trying to mod the Ryobi.

The big question mark is how well the Ryobi ballast runs at voltages as low as 12.5V, and is it worth the effort... when plug & play solutions are readily available.

Patriot

Flashaholic
IMHO you are better off buying the battery pack(s) + charger and plugging that into your 120V inverter. Charge the cells in your truck and just power the light with the charged packs.

Kramer nailed it! This is far better than trying to bring 120V down to 18V. The optional car charger charges in one hour, so you'll be recharging one battery at about the same rate that the other in the light depletes. Two batteries would likely be sufficient while three batteries would provide a substantial buffer.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Kramer nailed it! This is far better than trying to bring 120V down to 18V...
oldspice... you can do what you're asking but you need a step down transformer 120V in => 18V out. And you'll need a rectifier circuit to convert the 18AC to DC.

I spent months looking for a 120V=>26V/5A step down transformer for a tube amp. I eventually found one at a military surplus www retailer, so odd voltage transformers are out there if you hunt and peck for them.

IMHO it doesn't seem like its worth the effort.

Brlux

Enlightened
I picked one up today. I have two of the smaller Li-Ion packs with a lot of use on them. We will see once it gets dark how this light performs. So far playing with it inside I am very impressed.

Jazz

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have any pics of the ouput? I have my Thor with an HID mod and I'm running a modified Bosch automobile ballast which gets the output to ~50W, but it weighs a lot. This sounds like a nice little torch to carry around.

Jazz

Newly Enlightened
I bought one -- And took it apart.

IMG_0005 by justin030698, on Flickr

IMG_0006 by justin030698, on Flickr

IMG_0007 by justin030698, on Flickr

IMG_0008 by justin030698, on Flickr

IMG_0009 by justin030698, on Flickr

IMG_0010 by justin030698, on Flickr

IMG_0011 by justin030698, on Flickr

IMG_0013 by justin030698, on Flickr

IMG_0014 by justin030698, on Flickr

IMG_0015 by justin030698, on Flickr

As for output, my modded Thor is brighter when I have it running in the 50W mode. But this spotlight is sweet!!! For the size and the battery swapping capabilities, I'm happy. I think you could put a 55W slim-line ballast in this and really make this perform.

deeuubee

Newly Enlightened
I have a lot of Ryobi One stuff, so this was a no brainer for me.
It was the best $50 I spent on a light yet. Instant on, well balanced, and bright.

I was tempted to take it apart, so thank you Jazz. You did a much better job than I would have. Looks like a car ballast and D2S bulb.
I'm gonna have to try and find a 4300K bulb to swap in there. I think it will be much more pleasing to look at then. Although the bright white output is pretty cool.

I'll try and get some outdoor shots tonight compared to my Xenide 20W and Generic Chinese 35W.

Brlux

Enlightened
I like that it has such a wide input voltage range. I took an old battery and removed some of the cells and added a power cable coming out so that I can operate the light on a 12V source in needed.

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
I have to wonder if the beam could be made tighter by centering the actual HID bulb better in the reflector.

What do you guys think?

Brlux

Enlightened
I have to wonder if the beam could be made tighter by centering the actual HID bulb better in the reflector.

What do you guys think?

Perhaps that is an illusion due to the angle of the camera or something, Mine is properly centered and makes a great beam.

deeuubee

Newly Enlightened
:oops: Sorry about the night shots. I got called out of town. I'll put them up in the morning.
I have shots of the Ryobi, Xenide 20W, and my chinese generic 35W.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good looking spotlight, would buy one if I had more ryobi tools. battery packs are bit expensive imo.

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
Well, you've certainly tempted ME! Kathleen gave me a Ryobi One+ set last Christmas, so I already have two batteries, charger, drill, trim saw, recip saw and basic incand work light. This will be a really nice addition. And if/when I get one, I will be very interested in where to pick up an affordable 4200K bulb. :thumbsup:

deeuubee

Newly Enlightened
Well, I changed my mind about posting the beamshots of the P716 Ryobi HID because I can no longer recommend it to anyone.

Since I originally bought the first one, I have been through THREE! of them. They seem to work OK for the first day or two then they no longer want to start up. I tried 2 or 3 different charged batteries. It will flicker and try to start a few times and then nothing at all any more. Same problem with each one. Maybe just my luck of the draw. I will call to see if there is a recall or know problem with them.

I bought it with my Home D card, so returns have been painless. This last one is going back today for a refund, I quit. To bad... it was a bright light and really was what I was looking for. Doing power outage service calls would have been a breeze with these. Also, you drop a $50 HID off the balcony and get pissed at yourself, but you can get another one right away. You drop a $300 20W Xenide off the balcony, and you didn't make any money that day.

JHCANDLEPOWER

Newly Enlightened
:mecry:
DAMN!!! I was looking forward to adding an HID. This was the closest one based on cost/power/weight. Stanley's SLB design is too heavy and short running with storage drain. I was going to pick up a Ryobi based on your beam shots. Now I'll have to keep searching...:(

Appreciate you taking time to share your experience with other CPFers.

Well, I changed my mind about posting the beamshots of the P716 Ryobi HID because I can no longer recommend it to anyone...