• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired SALE: JM-PhD-D1 PWM Hotwire Regulator

Roland

Newly Enlightened
These are really good.

If you could enhance them to run incans and LED's there will be a big number of people waiting for these drivers.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't tell you how pleased I am at how well received these have been. I've gotten side tracked by another project or 2, so I haven't had time to get the X1 finished.
But there WILL be a 2nd run.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm happy to finance the second run, cover cost for supplies, demos, etc.

Linger's request:
1) multi mode
(low / med / high; or the minimalist low / high)

2) multiple bulb settings
-Can be implimented just like the 4 levels in wquiles's M6 phD.
-Accessible trim-pot with calibrated detents (e.g. one rotation = raise max one volt) similar to pots in JM-PhD-D1 would be perfect too.

Last edited:

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm happy to finance the second run, cover cost for supplies, demos, etc.

Linger's request:
1) multi mode
(low / med / high; or the minimalist low / high)

2) multiple bulb settings
-Can be implimented just like the 4 levels in wquiles's M6 phD.
-Accessible trim-pot with calibrated detents (e.g. one rotation = raise max one volt) similar to pots in JM-PhD-D1 would be perfect too.

Very generous. Thanks.
Item 1 is no problem.
Item 2 is a bit of an issue. That would take a board redesign, unless I can use programming and one or 2 of the remaining "extra" ports.
Adding a DIP switch to the board is out of the question. There are a few options along the programming route I can consider.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok. Yes multiple settings could be all soft-ware side, like George (TaskLed)'s multi-function UI.

The backing offer remains opens, allow me to help if I can.

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
These are the sh!t (in new or old form)....Glad I grabbed some while there were some still left from the first run.

I love the way these protect my cells.

Interesting ideas Linger...and V- generous offer.

Starlight

Enlightened
I only have 8-10 of the ones from the first run. That means I could use more from the second run. Really, Jimmy, these things are wonderful. I use them in Mags, and I also use them in Big Beam type lanterns. In the lanterns, you can use LiPo batteries and sealed beam bulbs. You can use 100W to 250W bulbs, and still get over an hour runtime. Make more!

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok. Yes multiple settings could be all soft-ware side, like George (TaskLed)'s multi-function UI.

The backing offer remains opens, allow me to help if I can.
I do appreciate the offer. I've got financing for the X1s and will begin the order process shortly. The next batch of D1s would have to wait a little while any way.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Understood.
Any further quantification of 'a little while any way?' :)
My read of that is 'beginning of 2011'

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Understood.
Any further quantification of 'a little while any way?' :)
My read of that is 'beginning of 2011'
Possibly. Depends on how well the X1's sell. I don't want to make too many promises then not come through.
I WILL be doing a 2nd run of the D1s after the X1s. It's just a busy time right now. I have to get the X1s out. It's their turn. Then the D1 can have their day in the sun again.

secondtimearound

Newly Enlightened
I'm in for 4 D1's or D2's :thumbsup:

Low on funds last time around, but locked and ready now :twothumbs

Thanks Jimmy. I hope you can make this happen soon.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in for 4 D1's or D2's :thumbsup:

Low on funds last time around, but locked and ready now :twothumbs

Thanks Jimmy. I hope you can make this happen soon.
Glad to hear. The X1s look like they'll be ready in early January. So the 2nd batch of D1s won't be ready until after the X1s have sold. The "profit" of the X1s will be part of the investment into the parts for the D1s.
Be patient. They'll come. Not tomorrow, not the next day. But they will come.

The D2s are a slightly different animal. They would (if I end up building them) be adjustable by programming only. No pots.
The FET would be bigger to handle higher current. Probably still only 40V capable. I may be able to get 45V out of it. I'd probably still base it on the Tiny44 since I like it's >8bit PWM capabilities and 4mm^2 package. It's a real PITA to solder correctly though. In any case, I do have a schematic and PCB design that I work on from time to time.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many parts have already shipped. Still waiting on a few on back order. The onboard regulator that I was going to have to wait until January for has already shipped. But have to wait a few more weeks for the FETs. I should have the majority of the parts next week or the week after.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see many posts here have been dumped by the crash. Oh well. No new real news regarding a second run just yet, but I have created a new thread regarding something that goes hand in hand with these regulators. KIU sockets in which to mount them.
See this LINK

jellydonut

Enlightened
Hey JimmyM,

I remember I posted, noting that neither the Kiu sockets nor an alternative were available.

Of course, this situation continues. :( But I have personally managed to get a hold of a D Mag with the Kiu socket already in place. That being the case, I'm very interested in the second run of these regulators! :) (just to let you know that you have one more customer ;))

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey JimmyM,

I remember I posted, noting that neither the Kiu sockets nor an alternative were available.

Of course, this situation continues. :( But I have personally managed to get a hold of a D Mag with the Kiu socket already in place. That being the case, I'm very interested in the second run of these regulators! :) (just to let you know that you have one more customer ;))

Thanks, Jellydonut. I still have some X1 to sell. And I AM working on getting more information on resolving the KIU base issues. With any luck we'll be calling them Jimmy-Bases.