Samsung 5000k HiCRI good news and bad news

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hogo, my EDC for many years now has been an Executive 170N (Nichia). Any idea how this will compare for throw? Hopefully the extra output will make up for the wider beam and at least maintain its throw compared to my current HDS.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hogo, my EDC for many years now has been an Executive 170N (Nichia). Any idea how this will compare for throw? Hopefully the extra output will make up for the wider beam and at least maintain its throw compared to my current HDS.

I really don't know. I had a 170N at one point many moons ago...
It has a lot more lumens coming out the end, so that is definitely a plus, but anything I would say comparing throw of these two would about as accurate as CNN... which isn't saying much.

JKolmo

Enlightened
Agreed! The 170N is really awesome, beautiful neutral. One of my workhorses.

Sos24

Enlightened
I just received it today and took it outside. I think this has the potential to become my new favorite for edc.

The tint is very similar to the 3 o'clock high which I love and was hoping. The beam is wider like Hogo said which I think will be very useful. It seems like the throw is about the same as the 3 o'clock high.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received it today and took it outside. I think this has the potential to become my new favorite for edc.

The tint is very similar to the 3 o'clock high which I love and was hoping. The beam is wider like Hogo said which I think will be very useful. It seems like the throw is about the same as the 3 o'clock high.

Any dark rings in the spill?

Msf

Enlightened
Received mine last night and have to say it is probably the best balanced of any HDS I have been fortunate enough to experience. I have always liked Hi-CRI, but the Nichias and the SST-20s produce a fairly tight hot spot without a lot of spill. Thus, I always went back to my HDS with the warm XPL for its larger hot spot and spill. The Samsung's hot spot and spill are what I always hoped for with a Hi-CRI HDS. Hi-CRI and enough spill and throw to satisfy me at the same time. That's an accomplishment.

Msf

Enlightened
Two pictures. One from my new HDS with SAMSUNG 5000k and the other from my HDS XPL 4000K. My asphalt driveway. The white can is about 40 feet out. In each case the light is parallel to the ground at about three feet off the ground. Each one is on setting 19. You can tell the XPL by the tritiums in the bezel. Worst job posting images ever, but they get the point across. The hotspots and spill are almost identical.
6B477724-5080-4381-8ACB-BC1E592F48CD.jpg33A60331-EC48-4A05-A5BF-4DB33AEE35E8.jpg

Anyone willing to take some outdoor beamshots?

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two pictures. One from my new HDS with SAMSUNG 5000k and the other from my HDS XPL 4000K. My asphalt driveway. The white can is about 40 feet out. In each case the light is parallel to the ground at about three feet off the ground. Each one is on setting 19. You can tell the XPL by the tritiums in the bezel. Worst job posting images ever, but they get the point across. The hotspots and spill are almost identical.
View attachment 12559View attachment 12560

Gotta love the XPL 4000 - Nice comparison.

LuxTacGear

Newly Enlightened
The Samsung is really nice, high cri and 300 lumens, it has a nice flood and broader beam which illuminates the surrounding area better and because of the output bump it seems to illuminate the tree better than the Nichias. Thanks for the beamshots.

Msf

Enlightened
Probably the Samsung. While they are extremely close in use outdoors, I like the idea that the Samsung should provide a little better contrast, given the higher CRI rating. Always nice when lighting up a trail at night.

Thank you both for all the pics. Very nice!

MSF: which do you prefer, the xpl or the samsung. They look so similar.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of the beamshots make the Samsung look a bit green. Is that how it's looking in real life?