Sanyo CR123A's - what's the new best option?

C

csa

Enlightened
I bought several hundred Sanyo 123s back when they were $1/ea, and have just recently run out of them.

I was extremely happy with the performance of the cells, and would like to get more that are similar.

Now I'm looking to buy another 100 or two, but I can't seem to find them in bulk at a decent price. Are the top-grade cells simply not available for that cheap anymore, or am I just not looking in the right places?

The best I can find in bulk is the Rayovac cells which were (last I time I messed with them) not as good. Botach has the 100 pack for $99, which isn't a bad price if I do decide to go that way.

What are your favorites right now?

Kestrel

Kestrel

Staff member
Regarding purchasing CR123 primaries:
  • LightHound is a good online retailer that offers decent quantity discounts on CR123's. (In addition, $75 orders get free shipping in the U.S.)
  • BatteryJunction has excellent prices on CR123's (particularly in bulk), as well as having a very wide battery selection in general.
Either provides great customer service, and don't forget to request the CPF discount. :)

My two lumens, I'd go with any of these U.S.-made cells (all are manufactured by Panasonic in (one of those odd southeastern states ;-) )
  • Streamlight
  • SureFire
  • Battery Station
  • Energizer
  • Duracell
  • Rayovac
  • Panasonic

Last edited:
P

paulr

Flashaholic
If you're using THAT many 123's, maybe you want to think about rechargeables and lights that can use them.

Burgess

Burgess

Flashaholic
My two lumens, I'd go with any of these U.S.-made cells (all are manufactured by Panasonic in NC IIRC)
  • Streamlight
  • SureFire
  • Battery Station
  • Energizer
  • Duracell
  • Rayovac
  • Panasonic

Close, Kestrel . . . .

Panasonic CR123A cells are manufactured in Columbus, Georgia.

:cool:

Battery Guy

Battery Guy

Enlightened
You may want to take a look at the comparison plot here. This plot was made using discharge data from SilverFox.

You can see that the performance differences are very dependent on discharge rate. If you are looking at low rate discharge (around .5A), then Sanyo, Panasonic, Duracell and Streamlight are the top performers. If you are looking for high rate discharge (around 2.5A) then Tenergy is the top performer. If you are looking somewhere in the middle (1.4-1.5A), then the differences between the cells are very small.

Cheers,
Battery Guy