Sapphire Mule = Walking in the Moonlight

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys... (and Hi Don!)

I`m offering this thread to everyone who bought a Sapphire Mule from Don. I was one of the fortunate purchasers.

I ordered two Sapphire Mules...one for myself and a second one that will be given as a gift to my wife. They both arrived safely today.

My first impression: WOW! :thumbsup:

I`ve bought and sold *several* :green: flashlights over the course of my years as a CPF`er. The Sapphire Mule, though, is without a doubt one of the nicest flashlights that I`ve had the pleasure to own and use.

You turn this light on in a dark room, and voila...the whole room is illuminated in a glow of light that can best be described as a bright version of the light from a full moon.

If you want "throw" this light is not for you. If, however, you wish to gently navigate and subtly light up your path and surroundings...as opposed to using brute-force high-intensity lumens...this is the light!

As an added bonus, the high CRI of the LED allows you to see that part of the world that is close to you in its true colors. The best color rendition occurs when you hold the light about 3-4 inches away from whatever particular item you`re focusing on (remember...this light is not at all about throw). The areas of your world that are further away don`t have the same sunlight/CRI advantage, but are well lit up with the light akin to a bright moon as described above.

All in all, I consider this light to be one of Don`s home runs. Extremely well made....with a beam of sunlight up close and moonlight afar.

Thank you, Don, for at least making a few of these lights. If you make more of them in the future, I`ll gladly buy some more of them from you.

Kudos to you for another job well done, my friend.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to agree with the OP's thoughts. I used to be a tint snob but nowadays I just want tints that are not too far warm or cool. The moonlight decription was coined when the first wave was released and I really like it. It is bright enough to light my way walking my dog and it is so small and light it dissappears in my pocket. I was contemplating getting the mule sapphire but I just bought a Lunasol 20 so I had to hold off. Actually the Sapphire helped me with the decision to buy a LS20 because AFAIK it uses the same emitters for the three low level LED's and so would have a similar tint.

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi Carpe! :wave:

Thanks for taking the time to post and thank you for the kind words as well as your perceptions on the Sapphire Mule.

I think the two versions of Sapphires have their relative strengths and weaknesses but whether these differences are significant is certainly up for debate and likely a function of intended applications as well as personal preferences. By virtue of its higher lux, I think the "stock" Sapphire is more versatile. By virtue of its comperable flux and lower lux coupled with better color rendering, the Sapphire Mule is better suited in applications where these features have merit.

As for moonlight, I have likened the light from the Nichia 3 mm LED's to moon light for a number of year and specifically in my fixed lighting designs and landscape fixtures. The Luna of the LunaSol is again in reference to these 3 mm LED's. However the light from the Sapphire Mule might be better representation of moon light than even the 3 mm LED's but I think it is getting close to splitting hairs.

Candidly, I designed an 8 mm Sapphire lens similar to the SunDrop lens that would work in the Sapphire with the 1/2 Watt Nichia High CRI LED and this design (not that it will ever happen) would get the name of Sapphire MoonDrop, from me.

I don't want to muddle or confuse this thread with my ramblings but I did want to at least comment and certainly express my appreciation to all of you guys who have add a Sapphire to your lighting quivers.

Thanks! :bow:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
...As for moonlight, I have likened the light from the Nichia 3 mm LED's to moon light for a number of year and specifically in my fixed lighting designs and landscape fixtures. The Luna of the LunaSol is again in reference to these 3 mm LED's...

Sorry Don, I stand corrected.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Oddjob,
I am the one who is sorry. I wasn't contesting when the phrase was coined but trying to chime in in agreement with you and Carpe.

Here is a thumbnail image I used for an intro to an installation I did a number of years back:

rln-thumb.jpg

I think the notion of moonlight is appropriate and that is really what matters. :shrug: :eek:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Got mine yesterday.

Bravo Don! :thumbsup:

Rant on: I have simply got to the point where I am not carrying my cool tinted lights, with these new warm [High CRI (all warm emitters arent high CRI!)] emitters. My addiction is so bad, I sent my Haiku to Milky for a emitter swap! Before I get off this tangent, if I could switch my LunaSols to warm emitters on the wide and far, I would be in flashlight heaven. :tinfoil:

Rant off!

The Sapphire Mule is perfect for a keychain light, if you need more throw or brightness, you should have another light for that fool! :nana:

The wide flood that is warm to boot is fantastic. And yes! There is a small hotspot believe it or not.

And for you perfectionists, bewarned:

My sample has a piece of lint going right accross the front of the emitter epoxied in with the Norland 61. This reminds me of the one man show that builds these masterpieces that is Don McGimzo McLeish. :nana:

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
And for you perfectionists, bewarned:

My sample has a piece of lint going right accross the front of the emitter epoxied in with the Norland 61. This reminds me of the one man show that builds these masterpieces that is Don McGimzo McLeish. :nana:

Mine has a hair sandwiched between the emitter and the sapphire window.:nana:

I must say I LOVE my Sapphire mule, Don your AAA torches are a real winner in my book.:bow:

-Mayo

sunsync

Newly Enlightened
Usually I go for max throw in a tiny form factor and actually did not expect to appreciate the Sapphire Mule beam (me being a relative newbie), but thought this light was worth a try. It's good to experiment, right? Moreover, you can't go wrong purchasing a very limited (at this time) production McGizmo. Plus I could always resell such a rare item, right? I think not, this is a keeper! I am truly surprised by the utility of this flashlight, especially walking the grounds around my home at night, where the super wide spread of the beam provides the optimal illumination for my use. Moonlight says it all; I'm pleased the subtlety of this design was not lost on me after all.

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
This conserves teh McDNA, so that in a far distant future, the man might be recreated to inspire awe :p

Ah...yes! A whole new venture.

The sale of "McGizmo Clone Lights!"

:thumbsup: :D

Sorry, Don...I just couldn`t resist! May you be producing the original McGizmo`s for many decades to come! :D

Last edited:

DM51

Super Moderator,
Supporter
Mine has arrived, and I will echo Carpe Diem's poetic description in post #1... It is an absolutely beautiful little light, with a lovely wide beam, and all colors appearing exactly as they should. The design and execution are flawless. I'm delighted!