Saturday mods, Okluma

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
Working on an idea. Not ready to discuss further, but it could be interesting

20160416_201216.jpg

I did get to use my new expanding collets. Makes life (and safety) much easier!

20160416_201149.jpg

20160416_201121.jpg

** edit, images weren't embedded correctly when posting from my phone.

Last edited:

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
alas, not as far as I'd hoped. Because I chopped the pill in half to fit the optic, I greatly reduced its ability to wick away heat. I put a pretty straight-forward 3amp driver on it, nothing too extreme. The LED is an XML-2, a nice warmer tint than the standard Okluma offerings.

It does have a more pronounced hot spot. I did it more as a proof of concept. If the head was made about .375" longer, we could push it a lot harder by using the full-size pill, and even better use the copper version.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, you are definitely right about the heatsink portion. But its a cool mod, nonetheless.. I wish i can own a lathe in my place to do these things.

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
CMAG, I purchased a small set of collets from Breakheart Tool. Barry/ Precision Works recommended them to me, and they work great.

A quick cell phone image of the pill and TIR optic cage. I had it out to put some blue glow powder/ clear epoxy onto it. Gotta have glowy stuff!

20160426_184248.jpg

CMAG

Enlightened
Looking good, thanks for the info very reasonable price may have to order a set.