Saving pennies . . . literally . . . for the P61L

jefflrrp

Newly Enlightened
So I've got a giant jar of change waiting to be converted to green for the P61L supposed to be released in late summer/fall from SF. Is anybody else salivating over this upgrade? I know I am. Last count: $38.93 in change. IM EXCITED ! ! ! ! ! !

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Have you considered going door to door in your neighborhood to collect donations for night blindness research?

Ninjaz7

Enlightened
or stand next to the highway with a sign,"will work for flashlights"...but with all seriousness,have you tried a malkoff?

jefflrrp

Newly Enlightened
or stand next to the highway with a sign,"will work for flashlights"...but with all seriousness,have you tried a malkoff?

Nope. But I want to. Really do. Its hard being a flashoholic when youre unemployed. My prime reason for getting a job is because I want so many lights :broke:.

Bryan

Enlightened
I can't wait for the P61L either. I'm just hoping it doesn't have the blue tint that the P60L has.

bigfoot

Enlightened
Yes... it will be nice to get a P61L. I think it will be going in my 6PL and then I'll move the P60L over to my G2.

Best of both worlds. :D

dmz

Enlightened
Last edited:

cfromc

Enlightened
I can't wait for the P61L either. I'm just hoping it doesn't have the blue tint that the P60L has.

I have two P60Ls and they are beautifully white, although I have heard some are blue. Guess I just got lucky. I can't wait for the P61L and will probably buy one immediately when they come out. I just wonder how much...?

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast

My P60L lamp assemblies are both perfectly white, so I wouldn't label all P60Ls as having a blue tint. Just about any LED product will be prone to tint variations, as has been the case for years. In my experience the tints of LEDs become less noticeable the greater the output is, so I wouldn't worry about the P61L.

If the tint is unacceptable to you then you can always contact SureFire and arrange a replacement lamp assembly.

Regards,
Tempest

GPB

Enlightened
I too am anxiously awaiting Surefire's high output LED, but it concerns me that they don't have a firm release date, burn time or price on it yet, despite it being in thier 2008 catalogue. It appears as though they have run into some sort of technical problem and don't know how to solve it. Hopefully they won't go to market with it until they've got the bugs worked out.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I'm not concerned about the apparent lack of info from SureFire on the P61L compared to several of the other new products where there is some info, even if it is sketchy.
I consider that SureFire are working on higher priority projects than the P61L and I'd much rather they did so.

dougie

Enlightened
Al,

I'm not sure I'd agree with you on this one. From a business point of view making a new product that can be retrofitted to part of your existing product range and which would allow you to compete easily with competitors at a minimal investment in R&D costs compared to making a completely new product appears sensible.

As Surefire's 2 cell lights are numerically the most popular lights they produce and are carried by a huge number of LEO's, military etc it follows that a high output module would provide their existing customers with an opportunity to upgrade their lights by buying from them and in quantities which are likely to be very large (and therefore profitable). Judging by the number of people who wish to upgrade their Surefire's and who have bought into competitors products to achieve this there is an undoubted market which Surefire are apparently missing out on?

Doug

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking forward to the P61L as well. I haven't got around to picking up a P60L yet, I probably will one of these days, but its output isn't terribly overwhelming compared to the standard incan bulbs (although its runtime is much better), for my needs the P61L should be a big enough step up that I'll get one or two when they are finally released.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not concerned about the apparent lack of info from SureFire on the P61L compared to several of the other new products where there is some info, even if it is sketchy.
I consider that SureFire are working on higher priority projects than the P61L and I'd much rather they did so.

Me Too. Where the heck are those new U2's :crackup:

Bill

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think I'll be in the market for a P61L for my SF's. I already have 200+ lumen drop-ins in them NOW, and by the time the P61L comes around I may well have something even brighter in my SF's. Maybe Cree R4 drop-ins, or SSC P7 drop ins. :)

Size15's

Flashaholic
Al,
I'm not sure I'd agree with you on this one.
Doug
I see your point of view but it does not appear to be the direction SureFire are heading in. If they felt that a P61L was so important to their business - if their customers were screaming for it in great numbers then why didn't they show any proto-types, or even photos of it at SS2008?
Bottom line is that SureFire's customers are not aware of the aftermarket 'high output' drop-ins available over the internet.

What did SureFire do instead? They made quite a few important changes but the most important in my mind is move to raise the technology and innovation bar again with their UA2 and UB2.
SureFire have taken this approach many times before in the past and it works. They bring out products with innovations and technology that no other flashlight company can: The A2, the L1, the L2, the U2, the K2 for example.

The competitors to SureFire that CPF members tend to see are not the same competitors that SureFire see. This is a whole other discussion. Whether SureFire's perspective is right or wrong there is a difference and recognising this helps gain a better understanding of SureFire.

I agree that updating their existing products [to LED] is an important aspect of progress but I believe SureFire are rightly concentrating on ensuring their flagship products constantly push forward what is possible.

Al

dougie

Enlightened
Al,

It would be hard to argue that Surefire are not at the sharp end of hand held flashlight development? Their forthcoming new lights should certainly create loads of interest and presumably sales?

I'm not privy to the company psyche and can't second guess their rationale for not pushing on with development of the P61L but as I said it seems a missed opportunity to not develop a better option for their existing product range other than the P60L. However, on the plus side at least folks like Malkoff have been given an opportunity to provide a product that Surefire aren't pushing themselves?:thumbsup:

Doug

Size15's

Flashaholic
SureFire can't do everything they'd like to, and they can't do everything all at once. Even with their expansion they have to decide which things they should do from the pool of things they could do. They then have to decide which order to do these things.

It's tough and it may not make sense sometimes and we may each of us agree or disagree with SureFire on some or other things.

Al

Last edited:

jefflrrp

Newly Enlightened
I have read on this board that the P61L starts at 200 lm for only a short time then goes down to 100 lm.

Why not get a DX or Solarforce R2 if you are low on $? The DX or Solarforce R2 are over 200 lm.

DX R2:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11836

Solarforce R2:
http://www.silver931.com/showroom.cfm?tid=4&gid=31&curr_code=USD&Show_Type=W

http://cgi.ebay.com/Solarforce-CREE...yZ106987QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Its all good. 200 lumens for short bursts is fine. Im gonna put it in a gunmetal gray 6P and it will be a purely just for fun -- amaze the friends type of light.