Scanners...

• Thread starter PoliceScannerMan
  • Start date
CLHC

CLHC

Flashaholic
Re: Any scanner enthuisast's???

I don't know anything about scanners. . .but was wondering if these just receive only or are there ones that can double as walkie-talkie for lack of a better word?

Jumpmaster

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Typically, "scanners" are receive only. There are some amateur radio transceivers that have transmit capability on limited frequencies with wideband receive, but lack much of the functionality of dedicated scanners...and you would need a license to transmit as well but as they seem to be giving the licenses away these days, it shouldn't be a big deal.

JM-99

CHC said:
I don't know anything about scanners. . .but was wondering if these just receive only or are there ones that can double as walkie-talkie for lack of a better word?

D

dbedit

Newly Enlightened

AOR 8000 for me!

Now if I could just find a SCOUT for It<SMILE>

If you enjoy the scanner get a Ham ticket the VHF and UHF are great to listen and talk on also is a useable band for MARS Military Amature Radio Service. Many repeaters also patch to HF frequencys to tune around the world

Last edited:
hburner

hburner

Enlightened

I have used scanners for years and still enjoy them. I currently have a Bearcat handheld 900mhz but I'm waiting for the digitals to come down in price. I used to love it when they would pick cell phones, Boy I heard some DOOOZIES!!!!!

B

*Bryan*

Enlightened

My dad listens to scanners all the time. When I was young (mid 20's) my dad bought me a scanner for my truck (radio shack) to keep with my cb. Man, when 9/11 happened (and I lived in NYC) that was a valuable piece of equipment. You heard everything on the scanner. Some things you didn't want to hear......Now it sits in my garage. I live in NJ now and my town is kinda like Mayberry...............

was_jlh

was_jlh

Enlightened

dbedit, i ran a scout with my icom for a while, a lot of fun.

bigcozy

bigcozy

Enlightened

Very good thing to have. I bought one in a pawn shop for mostly listening to weather reports since I live in Tornado Alley. Never thought I would use it much, but it turned out to be a great purchase. I would leave it on by accident sometimes, and learn my neighbors were being busted for drugs and things like that. Also learned to listen to the PD when weather hit, the boys in blue spot the twisters first. Gives you a much better picture of what is going on in your town. In the event of natural or man made disaster, it would be very high on my priority list.

I have a NON trunk tracking model, and you can use these even with a trunked system. You will pick up bits and pieces of info, it has been enough for me to get by on. Now, my town of 50K people has purchased and implemented a digital system, so my scanner isn't worth much except for listening to civillian stuff. I live in a condo, and if I didn't block them I would pick up every phone conversation (cordless phones) in the area. I seriously want a digital model, but it is steep.

Question: Can anbody find streaming audio like we had during the NOLA disaster?

Drop some links on you:

http://radioreference.com/forums/index.php?
http://radioreference.com/
http://radioreference.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

jtice

jtice

Flashaholic
Anyone here into HAM Radio or Scanners ?

I am thinking of getting into some HAM and Scanner stuff.

Was thinking of getting the Icom ic-r5 handheld Scanner.
Anyone know anything about it?
or any other good ones?

Anyone here do any HAM stuff?
I was thinking of getting into it,
till I realized it would cost at least $500 for the Transceiver ! :green:

~John

KDOG3

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Anyone here into HAM Radio or Scanners ?

I would like to get a scanner but am unsure what brand to get, i just want good reception (duh) and good freq coverage....

RA40

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've got a Yaesu VR500 receiver. The interface is a bit clunky, though it has some very nice features...a balance. Would like a digital trunking one though. :D (Another hobby to help drain $$. :p )

Some places I have been recco'd:

http://www.strongsignals.net/index.cgi
http://www.lentinicomm.com/index.asp
http://www.javiation.co.uk/ (Back in the day, some of the online group would buy full coverage receiver. The hobby has changed since then. Shipping is quick. I haven't bought form him just relaying what has been posted.)

Last edited:
A

AJ_Dual

Enlightened

It's on my eventual "buy" list. I just like hearing what's going on around me.

Not real high priority, but just leaving my FRS/GMRS talkie on "scan" and listening in as I pass by construction sites, stores where the stockers/personell have radios etc. has been fascinating, and is threatening to get me "hooked". To be able to pick up police/fire/EMS, HAM, aircraft, all sorts of other stuff would be great.

Just what I need, another hobby/gear addiction. As if guns and flashlights weren't enough. Thank God I'm not a full-fledged "knife guy". I seem satisfied witht he handful I have now...

That Icom looks nice. I assume that with the PC programability, one can get lists of good channels and text info for your region off of Internet forums devoted to HAM and upload it into the scanner?

S

Screehopper

Enlightened

I've been licensed for over 10 years. I currently have a General Class license.

John, you looking for a handheld, mobile or base station? You can get a 2m handheld (~140-144 Mhz) for about $110. A dual band (2m/70cm) mobile for around $270-400. HF is where the gear starts getting expensive.

Scanner websites:
www.radioreference.com
www.strongsignals.net

For a scanner you have to decide if you want analog or to get a digital scanner capable of trunking (more common in the city).

L

Lightbringer

Newly Enlightened

I was about to post the same question! I have been thinking about getting into HAM, just not sure about how much it would cost me. I already have a two scanners, an old bearcat and another radio shack digital trunking one (<--yea that one was a pretty penny, i still dont kno what drugs i took to walk outta the store with it).

I think i'd want to stick with a handheld unit, mostly because I'm a beginner and if I decided not to keep going with the hobby, I can still use it for emergencies. I'd appreciate some help also, thanks.

jtice

jtice

Flashaholic

AFAIK, the Icom r5 doesnt do trucnking...

But I am very "in the dark" about the trunking.
What IS truncking? using multiple freq at once?

Basically, I want to hear what the cops are up to,
emergancy stuff also.
Want it SMALL, and under $200

I have an OLD (50+ years) crystal scanner, and it picks up the local cops every so often, thats it.

Seems to me, that everyone is doing HF now, and dont even bother otherwise.
I was just thinking about it as a hobby, sit at home and use it.

~John

TomH

TomH

Newly Enlightened

Currently there are only two companies that make "scanners", they are Uniden and GRE. Everyone else (Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood, AOR, etc.), make "communications recievers". The major differences are that communications recievers don't "scan" as fast as scanners do, but the CRs typically cover a wider range of frequencies and bands. However, most short ranged communications (99% of what you pick up on a scanner), is covered in the 25-960 Mhz range.

For beginners looking to get into the hobby, I would suggest going with an analog scanner from RadioShack. The PRO-97 (http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...2032052.2032072&allCount=14&parentPage=family) is a great first scanner, and happens to be on sale currently for $149.99, which is $70 off of the regular price. If you decide this is something you like after playing around with something inexpensive, there are always bigger, better, more feature packed radios out there that will take away even more of your time and money. Don't ask me how I know! :grin2:

I wouldn't suggest jumping into the hobby with a more expensive radio like the Icom or Yaesu, for if you find you don't really like it, you will rarely if ever recoup the money you spend on the more expensive radios. Also, I can recommend a great beginners book on the topic of scanning. The link below will take you to more info on it.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_1/002-2290028-3590408?v=glance&s=books

The book is 10 years old, but most of the information presented is still valid, and it is a pretty interesting read.

was_jlh

was_jlh

Enlightened

http://www.radioreference.com/wiki/index.php/Trunking_Basics

the r-5 doesn't trunk. if you're gonna do trunking, you will want to find out if your local authorities use digital or analog trunking. also, the r-5 has a sma antenna connector, that's gonna be an issue when you go to hook another antenna to it. of course, an external antenna on your house may overload the r-5's front-end anyway. i love icoms ( had an r10 ), but it is more of a reciever than a scanner, imho. also, no keypad on the r-5, that would drive me nuts.

S

Screehopper

Enlightened

jtice said:
But I am very "in the dark" about the trunking.
What IS truncking? using multiple freq at once?

Trunking Basics [thanks to radioreference.com (scanner enthusiast forums)]
http://www.radioreference.com/wiki/index.php/Trunking_Basics

I'm in the big city so the majority of the police here have gone digital. On top of that many of them use encryption now so all you'll hear is whitenoise. Decryption of the tranmissions are against the law.

Best bet, look up your city at radioreference.com . Go to "RR Database" in the lefthand menu. Pick your state and find out if your local police is analog or digital and whatnot.

A handheld digital scanners with trunking sets you back around $500. The two most popular right now are:

Radioshack Pro-96 $500 (if you're lucky find it on sale around $425)
Uniden BCD396T $550

S

Screehopper

Enlightened

2m handhelds to get you started:

Yaesu VX-150 - $125 (I love mine, I got mine on sale for $105, I've noticed the price has gone up. It used to be $115 a 1.5-2 years ago. Rugged and water resistant)

Yaesu VX-170 - $150

Icom IC-T2H SPORT - $99

Alinco DJ-196T - $119

Kenwood THK2AT - $150

I used to have dual band Kenwoods (TH-78A, and TH-79A(D), but the construction did not hold up). I have a Yaesu now.

Dual banders are usually on the 2m (144Mhz) and 70cm (440Mhz) bands. 2m being the most commonly used. 70cm having more private frequencies owned by schools or clubs. Dual banders usually also come with more bells and whistles hence a factor in costing more than double of buying two 2m handhelds.

Last edited:
jtice

jtice

Flashaholic

Thanks ALOT for the info guys !!!

I went to RS today and looked at the PRO-97.
Seems really nice, I like how it has more buttons, and a keypad.
Looks easier to use.

My main, and really only concern with it, is the gaps in the freq, and its freq range.
25-54MHz, 108-136.9875MHz, 137-174MHz, 216.0025-221.9975MHz, 222-225, 225.025-405.975MHz, 406-512MHz, 806-960 (excluding mobile) and 1240-1300MHz

I want to eventually (might have to get a big antenna) listen to things like the space shuttle launches (6706.5, 6896.0, 7461.0)
Will the PRO-97 pick those up?
Also, I want to be able to listen to HAM stuff also, will it do well for that?

Sounds like the PRO-97 would be a better "scanner" for just setting it up, and letting it scan. Verse the Icom r5, is more for setting it to a perticular freq you want to monitor (even though it will "scan")

~John