Search and rescue light

Rasto36620

Newly Enlightened
I've decided to volunteer to be a part of my local sheriff's search and rescue team and I'm in need for a new light. I'd like to get something with decent throw and long run times. I'd also like to keep the weight reasonable because I'll be doing a lot of walking in uneven and rough terrain. Price under $300 would be nice.

I already have a SC600 mkii for more up close tasks.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
RC40 is too heavy IMO, I would look into Eagletac SX25L2, SX25A6 or GX25L2 (less throw than the SX models, but offers a flip up diffuser). The Eagletac MX25L2 is also a very nice light, but more expensive and heavier (about a 2D Maglite in size and weight).

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to look at the Nitecore EA4 and EA8. Both have several power levels, a decent throw on high, and, especially the EA8, reasonable runtimes, especially at the lower light levels. Plus, they run on AAs, so it is relatively easy to carry several sets as backup. And both are less than $100USD. For better throw at a reasonable price point look at the Streamlight SuperTac X. A two CR123 light with a 400m throw on high, and a 10 lumen low for closer up. Also less than $100USD.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now if you really want to reach out and touch someone, try the Streamlight Waypoint rechargeable:

High: 80,000 candela peak beam intensity; 300 lumens, 560 meter beam distance, 5 hour runtime
Low: 6,100 candela peak beam intensity; 25 lumens, 155 meter beam distance, 50 hour runtime

Drawbacks: Heavy, bulky, once it runs down no light until you get back to the charger. But 560 meters, that's a third of a mile. And 155 meters on low is still more than a football field away. And you can do that for four nights (assuming 12 hrs of darkness - YMMV) and still have the high setting if you need to check something further away for a little bit.

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
The OP already has an 18650 light in the SC600 MKII, so I'd suggest that he get a thrower that is powered by 18650's

My first thought was the TN31, but it is a fat, relatively heavy light. Considering that he can search out to 60-80 yards with the SC600, and move from point to point with it, he doesn't really need to carry the TN31 in his hand all the time, but can holster it as he moves from point to point.

This review shows how superior the TN31 is to some 2 cell lights he might consider.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?338925

He may also consider a dedicated thrower such as the
Dereelight Night master review

Other Lights that he might consider are:

Sunwayman T40CS review
Fenix TK35

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
I would look at the ea8 powered by eneloops as a nice wide beam,also option of standard AAs which are easy to come by.Also the new fenix tk51 looks promising too,think Nov getting stock,thats 3x18650 iirc.Options of flood/spot and both together.

zehnmm

Enlightened
In my SAR volunteer work, I recommend that team members carry 3 lights. This is under the "1 is none" and "2 is 1" preparedness philosophy.

At a minimum carry 1 headlight and two larger lights. In my 2 years of SAR volunteer work, about 80% of the missions are at night.

As of now, I always have my Fenix LD01 keychain light with me. Moreover, I carry in my pack a Fenix headband that can take a Lumapower Incendio running off of AW RCR123s, with several CR123 backups. This allows me to use the light as either on the headband or in my hand. This gives me about 160 otf lumens for the headlight assembly. Additionally, I carry on my belt a Sunwayman V20C (up to about 430 otf lumens; good general purpose light) with 2x 18650 backup batteries in my pack. Depending on where the search is, I may carry a Thrunite TN31 powered with 3x 18650s. Of course, this is a heavier throw beast and on long hikes it is more to lug around.

Other than my SAR pack (which has several small cell button keychain lights inside) and other gear, I have a flashlight bag that has flashlights, batteries, and chargers that goes with me. That way, once I get to the base camp and get my team assignment from the Incident Commander, I can pick and choose which lights to take. I have on hand alkaline AAs, Eneloop AA and AAAs, CR123s, RCR123s, 18650s, and some other batteries. One of my several chargers has a cigarette lighter plug so I can recharge back at my truck as the need arises. Battery recharging might need to take place also for my GPS and my handy-talky radio. (I am also a licensed HAM.)

I also find that sometimes SAR team members either forget a light or the light(s) they bring do not work --- hence, I have some loaners just in case.

FYI, since the Lumapower Incendio is now dated quite a bit, I am on the market to replace it. Might go for a Sunwayman V11r with the AA extender. Might also seriously look at the Zebralight offerings.

Be well,

Steve

Last edited:

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
pwYI9Mi.jpg

Foursevens MMU-X Gen2 beats all the other single-cell lights in the picture. in fact it beats all other single-18650 lights out there in throw, regulation, and runtime. MMU-X has a very wide spillbeam that fills up your peripheral vision, and it has a "secondary hotpot" that bright area around the hotspot so you don't get tunnel vision. the big 26650 cell provides much longer sustained high output than any 18650 cell. and it's thermally regulated so you don't have to deal with a dumb timer stepdown

i'm not sure it's available in your area but the Supbeam L25A in 2x 18650 is another excellent choice. throws better than MMU-X but has a narrower spillbeam. the 2x 18650 gives great regulation. no stepdown!

the SRT7 has a buck driver so with the 18650 it can't stay at full power for very long

Gixxerboy

Newly Enlightened
I use an Olight M3X Triton when out in the field and need the distance. I really like mine and it works well. It's a good size and doesn't weigh much...comes with an extension to run 2 18650's. Well under $300, around $130 right now.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could consider the Malkoff Hound Dog or Wildcat with the MD4 body that will take 2 x 18650 rechargables.

For your budget you should be able to get either plus a bunch of 18650's + a charger.