Second prototype, C954 AluBronze

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I purchased that C954 AluBronze bar back in Nov 2017, I've done a lot of experimenting before really getting into it. So my "experiments" thread seems outdated, hence a new one.

My intent was to build an 16340 sized torch, which my first proto ended up looking like this:
As soon as Charles Wiggins came out with his Dragon Driver, I upgraded this, so it now has amber XQE secondaries.
Rb8700.jpg
qQGU1f.jpg

This did turn out well, but it was only a stepping stone to what I was aiming for. The hold-down ring for the boot/ McClicky turned out well, so it carried over. I decided to up to the 18350 size platform, and form a beefier tail to allow for a clip and some trit vials. I have finished all machining last night, so all that's left is the electronics. Some photos from the last couple of machining sessions~

AsQGr9.jpg

26ieJD.jpg

oJftBL.jpg

I gotta say, the Spin Indexer is really cool! Bought this used for $50, a little TLC and it's working great. Last night's machining was my first use of it. Three vials at 90° apart, and the pocket clip at 0°.
YqPEGR.jpg

wGc0TN.jpg

It helped with positioning of the tailcap holes as well, which was a nice bonus. Here I'm tapping for 4-40.
Yes, I was off centerline (the positioning dot) by a couple degrees. It's all a learning experience!
V164SX.jpg

Over the next couple days I'll get the pill assembled, and will post some photos of the final result.
~D

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't remember exactly, something like 10.7 degrees, it was an unexpected angle. But, I'm using a somewhat oddball clip. Will post photos this weekend

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Almost done. Did some polishing, added the tritium vials, and sandblasted the pocket clip. I decided I want to put some crenelations on the bezel, so that's next.

Image shows right after UV'ing the trit vials, but before polishing with 1,000 grit to clean up the extra Norland 61. It's interesting that the stuff shrinks slightly when it cures. Typically, I hit it with my Inova UV torch for a few minutes, and then sit it outside in the sunlight for a couple hours to complete the cure.
zgKDml.jpg

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a beauty! I like the dragon driver and the amber LED.

Latest posts