Seeking 1xAA/14500 or 1xCR123A/16340 EDC light with red secondary

fuyume

Newly Enlightened
Today being Black Friday, and me not really desperately needing a new flashlight, I am of course not letting that stop me from shopping. After all, my birthday is 9 days away, and I already have a new fountain pen picked out that’s being released on 12/6 (TWSBI ECO Jade, in case you are wondering).

I’m looking for a single-cell EDC light with direct access to a red secondary light that uses common cells. The only products I’ve been able to find on the market are the Nitecore EA11 and EC11, both discontinued, apparently, although a few places have some EC11s still in stock. I think I’d actually prefer the EA11, but no one seems to have them anymore. They have been supplanted by the MT10A and MT10C, both of which require two-handed, two-button operation to access the red light, so I won’t buy them.

Are there any others I should be looking at, before I plunk down money? I absolutely want one-hand, one-button, direct access to the red LED without having to switch the light on in white mode first, and I absolutely want a replaceable common cell type, preferably with the option to use rechargeables.

troutpool

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
Check out Oveready BOSS 35. If Oveready is out of stock, you might well find one with a WTB.

fuyume

Newly Enlightened
Check out Oveready BOSS 35. If Oveready is out of stock, you might well find one with a WTB.
A $545 flashlight is not really what I had in mind. I'm honestly stunned that such a thing even exists in this world.

fuyume

Newly Enlightened
Surefire Aviator?
LRI Proton Pro may also do what you want
The Aviator is $300, way out of my price range. But I honestly didn't even realise the company that makes the Photons was still in business. I haven't even seen a Photon in years. I'll check that out, thanks.

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
A $545 flashlight is not really what I had in mind. I'm honestly stunned that such a thing even exists in this world.
That stunned feeling is likely cognitive dissonance. The mental discomfort that results from holding two conflicting beliefs, values, or attitudes. Think of it like a Rolex or a festool or a Mercedes AMG. A tool for that discriminating someone who wants the best.:)

Last edited:

Olumin

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
That stunned feeling is likely cognitive dissonance. The mental discomfort that results from holding two conflicting beliefs, values, or attitudes. Think of it like a Rolex or a festool or a Mercedes AMG. A tool for that discriminating someone who wants the best.:)
Just dont make the mistake and confuse the "best" for the fanciest. Those are often two very different things.

Showngo

Newly Enlightened
CPF Supporter
Dragon Drivers have red aux on the, and they run pretty bright. While most of the lights that run these are pretty spendy, JC Customs does one in a Convit body for $120: https://jc-customflashlights.com/products/s2-triple-dragon-flashlight

The downside is that there are limited options on these. Basically the light can be set to either start in aux, or not. There’s no real shortcut, so you have to cycle the light on these. But it will work, won’t throw the red very far, super floody. Doesn’t meet your goal of standard battery though. Which will be hard unless you go the Aviator route.

Emisar/Noctigon lights also will do this on their new channel switching software and it will be a really sweet setup, but now you are in the realm of complex UI in Anduril2 and non-standard batteries. https://intl-outdoor.com/

I have a Barrel Flashlight that works great for this use with a Dragon Driver, but like the BOSS mentioned above $$$.

fuyume

Newly Enlightened
Or, alternatively, an over-priced ego booster for people with too much money and too little sense. There’s no place you can go with a Mercedes AMG that I can’t get to in my Ford F-150, and my Timex quartz watch is just as accurate at telling time as any Rolex. heck, my Timex is even more accurate than my Breitling. :D

fuyume

Newly Enlightened
Probably the wisest move is for me to just get a red Photon and clip it to my Fenix E12. :D

chip100t

Newly Enlightened
Or, alternatively, an over-priced ego booster for people with too much money and too little sense. There’s no place you can go with a Mercedes AMG that I can’t get to in my Ford F-150, and my Timex quartz watch is just as accurate at telling time as any Rolex. heck, my Timex is even more accurate than my Breitling. :D
People always tell me I have more money than sense. The sad thing about that statement is I have little money😁

fuyume

Newly Enlightened
Well. I did it. I pulled the trigger on the Nitecore EC11. Should arrive next week, only it doesn't come with a battery, and I don't have any batteries for it. :D

fuyume

Newly Enlightened
I decided to get a Fenix ARB-16L-700UP battery (16340, which will work in the EC11 with a battery sleeve). I didn't realise the same dealer carried those batteries, because I was looking in the wrong place on their website, but I was able to get it added to my order today with no additional shipping charge. I feel much better now, because I was going to have to order from someplace else and pay a stupid amount of shipping for a small battery order.

fuyume

Newly Enlightened
It's really a shame that Nitecore has discontinued the EC11 and EA11, because they are the only two lights I've been able to find that have:

1. one button direct access from off to the lowest white mode
2. one button direct access from off to the highest white mode
3. one button direct access from off to the red secondary
4. both electronic and mechanical lockouts.

I think I would have preferred the EA11 for the battery size (can take any AA/1.5 V or 14500/3.7 V battery), and for the fact that its low mode is only 17 lumens on a 1.2V battery, as opposed to 40 lumens for the EC11 on a 3.0 V battery, but I just couldn't find anyone with an EA11 still in stock, except one person on eBay in Canada, and the price was just way too high, plus I'm wary of buying from unknown sellers--I've heard way too many stories about counterfeit flashlights out there.

The newer versions of these two, the MT10C (still listed) and MT10A (also discontinued) add a tail switch, but unfortunately, in the process of doing so, Nitecore "fixed" it so that none of the points above are available. There is no longer any way to go directly to the lowest white mode, and going directly to the highest white mode or the red secondary now requires two-handed operation and two button presses. I don't know what they were thinking in doing that.

I have always maintained that a utility flashlight should only ever turn on in lowest mode, with no memory, and if it has a red secondary to preserve night vision (or other purposes, like a UV secondary), it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever that you should have to turn the light on in white mode first, thus blinding you and defeating the entire purpose of putting in a red secondary, in the first place.

The EC11 and EA11 do have memory, but you can bypass it by simply holding down the on/off button for 1s to directly access the 1 lumen mode, and you go directly to Turbo mode by holding the mode button for 1s. To directly access the red secondary, simply click the mode button. Easy peasy, and hold both the on/off and mode buttons together for 1s to enter or leave the electronic lockout mode.

fuyume

Newly Enlightened
My only other question is whether or not Keeppower's 36 mm long 3.0 V regulated RCR123A is too long to use in the EC11. It's only 1 mm longer than the batteries the EC11 is designed to use, the 18350.

kerneldrop

Enlightened
it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever that you should have to turn the light on in white mode first, thus blinding you and defeating the entire purpose of putting in a red secondary, in the first place.

When and how do you plan on using red mode?