Seeking advice - New Infinity

DragonFlame

Newly Enlightened
Hi!
I'm seeking guidance from you CPF-ers in the following matter: I've got a new style Gerber Infinity Ultra. I'm not complaining about the new design, as I rather like the fact that the light is able to stand on its back end.

The thing is I'm not very happy with the blue-ish tint of the LED. I know that is not something unusual, but I like white better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So I wish to do something about it. Now I am not skilled at all with modding, in fact I have never done that before. So I ask you:

- Where can I get a really white LED from? Is there any way I can get my hands on a really white Nichia (as I have seen, these are very appreciated)? If there are other brands making truely white LEDs, I am open to suggestions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
- How difficult is it to change the LED? Would I be able to do it safely without wrecking the light?

Thanks

paulr

Flashaholic
The THC3 leds from lsdiodes.com are supposed to be very white, as are ISP diodes which might be the same. They might be less efficient than the blue-white Nichias though.

Changing the led in a new-style Infinity Ultra is not exactly easy, but it's easier than it was in the older units. Whether you personally would be able to do it depends on your electronics skills. Certainly, various modders here have succeeded in this, and also with completely replacing the electronics.

This is a type of mod, though, that I generally haven't seen as worthwhile unless very easy. Otherwise, why not use a better light to begin with? If you don't mind a CR123 light, the Tekna Splashlite LS is about the same size as the Ultra, is very white, and is considerably brighter (it uses a Luxeon side emitter). It costs more, but several hours of your modding labor is also worth something.

DragonFlame

Newly Enlightened
Well, I initially chose the Infinity Ultra for its runtime, that's why I hadn't considered a Luxeon.
Oh, and another thing: could you tell me more about the "warm white" leds? I've read somewhere that they are somewhat less efficient. Is that true?

The_virus

Enlightened
Depending on where you got it from, and how long you've had it, you could return it.

I bought a Gerber Infinity Ultra from MEC and was disappointed with the blue tint just as you are. I returned mine, mostly because the LED was offcentre and created an irritating asymetrical beam. I was concerned about the light being less water resistant too, so I figured, 'what the heck' the store has so many I might as well get a "perfect" one. I picked one where the bulb was centered nicely and exchanged.

The new light is much whiter! It's still kind of blue as typical with LEDs, but much less than it was in the other one. There's no real way to tell if a new one will be whiter, but it is possible.

paulr

Flashaholic
I think "warm white" means leds with an incandescent-like cast, and yes I've heard they're less efficient.

You could try the UK 2AAA eLED. Weight and size is similar to the Ultra (though it uses two AAA's instead of one AA), runtime and overall brightness is comparable, throw is considerably longer because of a focusing optic that still leaves reasonable spill, the LED color is warmer than what the Ultra uses (not "incandescent-like" though), the light is waterproof to 1000 feet, and it's just $12 at Brightguy. I think this light is underrated around here.

DragonFlame

Newly Enlightened
Well, I got the light from Brightguy. The led is very slightly off center, but nu noticeable in the beam, so no complains there. The beam is rather blue-ish in the hotspot, the rest in rather white, so if I returned it I might have the unpleasant surprise of getting one all-blue.

Besides, I don't live in the US, and a friend brought me the light when he was visiting, so it would be rather complicated to return it, and shipping the light back to the US might not be very cost-effective.

That was why I was hoping to get info on good white leds. I think with a little bit of technical skill it might just work out provided I find a led that will be to my liking.

And, Paulr, I'l check out the UK.

Thanks

greenLED

Flashaholic
There some "new" brighter LED floating around. It shouldn't be too hard to swap the LED on the new Infinity because the electronics are not pottern in resin (and assuming you can solder, which I... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif)

mateen

Enlightened
I just completed this swap using the 'uncut hi-power 5mm led' from Sandwich Shoppe. Considering that I taught myself to solder five minutes ago (while doing this swap!) I would say this particular job is pretty easy. I was also disappointed in the beam from the stock Infinity Ultra. I noticed a major upgrade in output and I am running it down now - will let you know if it has low runtime or any other negative side effects.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will mod this light for you if you would like. I have 30 or so 26,000mcd 5mm LEDs that I bought from Ebay and I have already modded mine.

mateen

Enlightened
Nah, see, Nitroz is 'da man' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif!

I left my Infinity burning at work and will check the beam when I get there in the morning.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
mateen said:
Nah, see, Nitroz is 'da man' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif!

[/ QUOTE ] Nah /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif,Just trying to give back what CPF gave to me.

[ QUOTE ]
mateen said:

I left my Infinity burning at work and will check the beam when I get there in the morning.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hehe..I can see it now, here comes the security gard to investigate strange glow from desk.....hmmmm, nice light. No more infinity. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DragonFlame

Newly Enlightened
Such solidarity as here, in CPF, is rarely seen.
I can only thank you for your kind offer, Nitroz, but I live in Europe, and sending the light to the US and back might be a little complicated. I will think it over more carefully, though.

Still, I had some questions regarding the possible leds usable for this swap:
What is the difference (at least theoretical) between the ebay 26000 mcd led, the uncut hi-power led from the sandwich shoppe and the cut-down led from sandwich shoppe?
And just for clearing it up for me, what exactly is the MJLED? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

mateen

Enlightened
Well, I came in and went to my desk this morning and my Infinity was still there, still running. Barely, though. This is about a 24-hour runtime test and the LED still gave enough light to read a book in a darkened room. I tested it again with the digital camera and output was about half that of the dead-stock Infinity on a fresh battery. So about what you'd expect. I reckon using lithium AA would give a flatter output.

As far as the MJLED goes, I think it's best for a light with a 'true' reflector. It is converted to a side-emitter to take advantage of the reflector assembly on minimags and similar. 'Standard' LEDs like the uncut version are top emitters and basically come prefocused for some angle (this one emits at 25 degrees). I would assume they work best in flashlights without a true reflector such as a Photon-type or an Infinity Ultra.

Bottom line, if at all possible, do this swap. I recommend the uncut hi-power from the Shoppe only because that's what I had. Higher output and nicer color with no drawbacks, save a 'bit' of work. Good luck!

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
DragonFlame said:
Such solidarity as here, in CPF, is rarely seen.
I can only thank you for your kind offer, Nitroz, but I live in Europe, and sending the light to the US and back might be a little complicated. I will think it over more carefully, though.

Still, I had some questions regarding the possible leds usable for this swap:
What is the difference (at least theoretical) between the ebay 26000 mcd led, the uncut hi-power led from the sandwich shoppe and the cut-down led from sandwich shoppe?
And just for clearing it up for me, what exactly is the MJLED? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The high power MJLED can take up to 100ma vs 25ma for the Ebay specials that I have, so yes they will be brighter that the ones I am using.

No hurry on the offer and I can understand if you don't want to do that.

DragonFlame

Newly Enlightened
OK, got it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
That was a rather dumb question after all the explaining you guys did for me. The thing was I wasn't sure whether the MJled and the cut-down were one and the same thing. Silly me!

Thanks guys for all the info!!!

Latest posts