Seeking Manker E11/Klarus Mi7 competitors (700+ lum, <20mm width) EDC

So I bought a Klarus Mi7 in high hopes in black... They sent me red/pink, so I gave it to my mother and black is now out of stock, and it seems 700lm is overrated.

I want a BLACK (or masculine color thanks) flashlight with dimensions less than 100mm X 20mm to put out 700+ legitimate ANSI lumens with a protected Li-Ion, which has the ability to run standard batteries as a backup (AA/AAA preferrably)

I already own a Nitecore HC30 with dimensions of 24mm head, it causes too much of a pocket bulge in my everyday formal wear.

Willing to pay 40$ at max, no light modifications unless I can buy it modded for this price, I won't mod anything myself.

Seems the Manker E11 is winning, it's just a bit thick for my taste, and must use UNPROTECTED cells which I own zero of, I have a spare protected 800mah keeppower 14500 that needs a home.

Please help me find the perfect ultra bright and compact EDC! Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

PS. I've seen the Olight S1A, not interested in the bulk, hence I own a 1k lumen @24mm, 3mm decrease isn't worth losing 400 lumens.

PSS. I might simply go for a Cooyoo Quantum (or more powerful same size competitor if such exists please share) and just not carry the powerful light at all when I can't justify the bulge.

Last edited:

cyclesport

Enlightened
I keep looking at lights like this myself since I'm always interested in something very similar to the Zebralight SC52w, still my currant fav EDC light in terms of UI, output, tint, batt choices, and size. I don't own the Mi7, since cool white was the only option, but did buy a Manker E11 w/neutral tint.

At $30 it's a good value, (and probably a great deal in a group buy), and a pretty good EDC light that carries very small for a AA side switch light thanks to it's 82mm length and 20mm dia throughout it's length.

Some cons: 1) UI is a little cumbersome since one must cycle through modes to get desired level, although w/memory it does allow one to shut it off in high so that the user can start the light in high if desired, or low (the default start mode).
2) The 800L high is over rated and in reality is closer to 500 - 600L w/a 14500 and approx 30% less using an Eneloop AA.
3) Strobe is too easily activated when trying to quickly cycle the light since two quick presses activates the strobe mode either on or off.
4) Lacks a power meter like the ZL and several other newer lights which I really miss for a quick field check of batt life.
5) Because it is cylindrical throughout it's length, it's not as easy to quickly find the button by feel as the ZL.

Pros: 1) The beam (due to the small reflector and large diffuse XP-L hotspot) is well suited IMO for an EDC light since it makes it mostly flood.
2) I've found that in addition to any IMR 14500's, the Xtar protected 14500 li-ions also work as well + the heavy power draw doesn't cause the protection circuit to kick in. Actually any Li-ion at 50mm in length or less will work.

As I said, I think it's a pretty good light w/some desirable features for the money, but for this genre of light the ZL SC52w is still my gold standard...even @ twice the cost.

FWIW if size is an issue with a AA light...one of the many good AAA twisty's availabe might be a better choice for you and they still emit adequate light w/an Eneloop or really bright w/a 10440 Li-ion.

Thank you very much for your informative reply, good to hear positive things about a potential winner... (E11) Problem is 500-600lm kinda not what I was hoping as its actually larger than the Klarus mi7, yet same power, more expensive, and less features... Wanted actual lumen increase to Klarus paralleling the size increase ratio...

I am basically seeking a cheap stock version of vihn's ToolVN 850 Lm 10440 light he sells for 150$ or so... I accept slightly larger light with protected 14500 and a clunky UI for the disappear in pocket ROCKET feature. (If he sold his modded light for 50$ it would be a no-brainer.... But my budget doesn't allow it.

Nitecore TIP (315 lumens USB super pocket friendly size may win down the road when it releases...)

More suggestions greatly appreciated...

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had an E11 NW. Green! And the soldering job was not done well. Everything else was good though.

I heard the better route is cool white, it's not too blue or anything supposedly very pure white for cool white.

Not sure if the E11 wins over the Klarus Mi7 though, or something I hope to soon discover from you forumers that beats both in size and output and value!