• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Seeking rechargeable solution for L1_DB917_PRT

easilyled

Flashaholic
I bought some rechargeable CR123s from Batterystation the
other day.

When they arrived they fitted in my Nuwai-Q3 and enhanced its beam.

However I was really hoping that I could also use them in Don's classic mod above. Unfortunately the width of these rechargeables was too much for the battery tube of the L1.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Does anyone know whether there are any other RCR123s that would fit? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif They would have to be no more than the width of a standard CR123A.

Don't bother to suggest Pilas please! I tried a 168S already but it won't work with the Downboy for obvious reasons.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
The 4.2 (3.7) volt R123 batteries from J.S. Burly's fit and work in my L1/DB917/PRT. I don't use this light with them, but I tested it to answer your post.

Luxbright

Enlightened
Hi easilyled, I'm using the JSBurly's protected (yellowish-orange) rechargeable 123s in my L1-PR-T 917 and its working fine. The SHAN VR123A non-protected would also fit the L1-PR-T 917, but being unprotected, I'll need to observe the brightness which I find inconvenient. Hope this helps.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
easilyled,

What is the obvious reason that the Pila won't work with the Pila? I've run plenty of downboy equipped lights with Pilas. Depending on the Vf of your LED, you should get around 700mA or so to the LED. Due to the nature of the li-ion cells, you'll get pretty flat output from it too.

The only thing that I can see that might prohibit the use of Pilas is the inside diameter of the battery tube. If this is the case, you may be able to have the tube bored a tad bit to allow the Pila a more comfortable fit. I've had to do this on many Aleph tubes to allow the use of Pilas.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Sorry I was away for a week so couldn't reply to your replies - thanks anyway for your suggestions.

JSB's protected 4.2v batteries sound the way to go.

Tony, you are far more knowledgeable than me about Vfs etc. All I can say is that the Pila 168s is the right diameter and fitted no problem, but wouldn't light up.

I assumed that this was because the configuration is normally for 2 CR123s and that this voltage (ie. 6v) is significantly higher than the 4.2v or thereabouts that the Pila would come off freshly from the charger. I thought that this was too low for the Downboy.

The led is a TWOJ.

cy

Flashaholic
Downboy is a stepdown regulator and may or may not light up at 4.2V.

just got a L1 PR-T 917 again, thanks Dad! It's a joy to run. I'm running surefire 123's, don't run L1 917 enough to fool with rechargables yet.

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't know if you'll gain enough but of the ten Pila 168S cells I have, they have two labels on them. If you peel one off, you may be able to load them. I had to do this with Aleph power packs.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Downboy works in my E1e/DB1400/Red Lux-III/Aleph-1 head. I one Batterystations R123 (4.2V) and also starts in regulation. I tried it with a Pila (4.16V) and it started but not in regulation.

Jeff