Seeking recommendations for a small flashlight with decent throw

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Except for reading house numbers I too would have said the Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 with a 14440 LiIon cell. The GT Micro would be my best suggestion. At ~$40 it is a little more pricey, but is a great little light that has a really tight hot spot for looking at a distance. Takes an 18650, so you have the whole charging thing, but if you are careful it isn't that big of a deal.

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
Except for reading house numbers I too would have said the Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 with a 14440 LiIon cell. The GT Micro would be my best suggestion. At ~$40 it is a little more pricey, but is a great little light that has a really tight hot spot for looking at a distance. Takes an 18650, so you have the whole charging thing, but if you are careful it isn't that big of a deal.
Never heard of a 14440 cell. You sure you didn't mix up 10440 and 14500?

Also, the GT Micro takes a 14500, it's the Mini that chambers in 18650.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
GT Micro is an excellent choice for your application.

Another option is to go with a cheap aspheric zoom flashlight. They aren't bright at all, but the throw is decent. And more importantly, in throw mode they have zero spill to shine in people's windows or disturb neighbors while you're trying to find house numbers.

3_gun

Enlightened
Fenix LD12 running 14500 gets you 320L with a good throw (100+yds) & will use standard AA (150L) in a pinch. Got mine used from eBay for $30 shipped. Single AA size, can't get much smaller & has 5L low for in car use.

TIP AND RING

Enlightened
Wuben E6. Closest thing to the disco Manker T01. Very impressive throw from readily available AA batteries.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would also mention the streamlight 1L1aa. But that doesn't match your maximum price. For that price I will echo what others have said and get a convoy S2 plus. I would get it with an SST 20 with the smooth reflector. That should have decent lux numbers and still be pretty bright. I have one on the way that should be here soon and I ordered it with a 1.4 amp driver. Which should be around 400 lumens or so. And it cost me around $25

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
I would also mention the streamlight 1L1aa. But that doesn't match your maximum price. For that price I will echo what others have said and get a convoy S2 plus. I would get it with an SST 20 with the smooth reflector. That should have decent lux numbers and still be pretty bright. I have one on the way that should be here soon and I ordered it with a 1.4 amp driver. Which should be around 400 lumens or so. And it cost me around $25
Can confirm the S2+ in that LED/driver/reflector config has quite a bit of throw for a tube light, it even comes close to a small thrower like a C8 with an XM-L2 size LED (domed).

I got one exactly like this, and it turned out a bit too throwy for my uses, so I swapped the reflector for a 30º TIR optic.

jmsodpc

Newly Enlightened
today from amazon i received my [h=1]ThruNite LED Flashlight Rechargeable, Catapult Mini[/h]
it was $50 with a 20% coupon code on the amazon listing

• The improved OSRAM KW.CSLNM1.TG LED, the smooth reflector, and the TIR lens, offer up to 653 yards throw and a peak beam intensity of 89600cd, ultra-long beam distance flashlight, perfect gear for hunting or search and rescue.
  • MINI AND PORTABLE - Coming at 3.18 inches long and less than 1.30 inches wide, the catapult mini is extremely portable, you could fit it in your purse, backpack, or pocket and probably not even notice it.

i'm charging it up right now but its a nice small size.

lightknot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire 6P with a Sportac triple drop in at 1200 lumens.

Doesn't meet any of your parameters but is perfect for your application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Moonrise9-T

Newly Enlightened
Convoy T2 with Osram CSLNM1.TG (Flat White 1) LED. You can ask for a simple 4-mode driver. Literally cannot think of an AA sized thrower that comes even close to this combo, at least within this price range (the Lumintop GT Micro is a whole 'nother kettle of fish).
I realize this is a bit of a necro post, but does this light actually exist? I don't see it listed anywhere.