Selecting and changing D1S for a 2003 Volvo XC70

salkin

Newly Enlightened
Lurking for a while I've figured this is the best place on the internet to get some headlight advice so I'd like the forums opinion on selecting a pair of new D1S bulbs.

I have a 2003 Volvo XC70 with stock HID and today one of them quit working. The bulb is for the lowbeam which is raised up mechanically when you put on the fullbeam.

Googling around I found the Osram XENARC Night Breaker which seems interesting as Sweden is dark this time of year and more light is always welcome.

/salkin

Erik1213

Enlightened
A 2003 Volvo with factory fitted bixenon headlights should be a D2R bulb. Volvo didn't fit projector headlights in those till 2008-. Of course, this only applies to my knowledge of US market vehicles.

I personally recommend a Philips "+" bulb. They are the best color for seeing in the rain, last a long time and don't tend to color shift to pink like Osrams tend to do.

-Virgil-

Staff member
A 2003 Volvo with factory fitted bixenon headlights should be a D2R bulb

Good catch, you're right. My recommendation stays the same, if the original poster wants the highest-performing bulbs: first choice Philips Xtreme, second choice Osram Night Breaker.

I personally recommend a Philips "+" bulb. They are the best color for seeing in the rain

What makes you say so?

salkin

Newly Enlightened
You are correct in that it's a D2R in a reflector. A parts selling site mislead me stating it was a D1S.

I will get the Philips Xtreme D2R.

Should I change the highbeams (H3B, reflector) too while at it? What's the suggestion there?

Thanks for your help.

Erik1213

Enlightened
I always found the Philips bulb to be more yellow, which always seemed to do better in the rain. Osram bulbs always seemed to have a pink tint which gradually shifted to a more pink tuning bright pink just before they reached the end of their life. I never liked the way Osram bulbs looked on the road. They may not do that now but the bulbs I have installed in customer cars years ago are still coming in looking very pink.

actually, I just read that Philips doesn't make a + mode any more because all new HID lamps produced use their updated electrode design to minimize color shifting.

Erik1213

Enlightened
The inner beams are DRLs. They use a straight based 9006XS bulb. The highs in your lights are actually the reflectors moving up. This brings the beam up.

salkin

Newly Enlightened
The inner beams are DRLs. They use a straight based 9006XS bulb. The highs in your lights are actually the reflectors moving up. This brings the beam up.

On the Swedish model the inner beams are the highs and isn't used as DRLs. The reflectors on the HID also move up as you say so both are running as high.