seoul in civictor ss (UPDATED - BEAMSHOTS)

aljsk8

Enlightened
you are infact right - well spotted - i initially took this issue up with engrpaul - but because im rubbish at explaining i never got a decent answer

the black part of the leds is the same on the ssc and the lux and the reflector has a lip to set the pill height (there is a small difference in them of about 0.1mm)

thats why i didnt use a 0.77mm copper slug

in my civictor the pill stopped on the lip of the reflector very slightly before the black part of the led hit the hole in the reflector so there were 2 options - raise the led a little or file a little off the lip of the reflector

i used a 0.5mm washer but it really only needs raising about 0.3mm.
To gain the full advantage of the die you would need to make the hole in the reflector bigger than the black part and raise it by 0.77mm.

its certainly not perfect as far as collecting the light and throwing it but i wanted to make the mod semi-removable incase luxeons get better and i retrofit one - if i mess the reflector up then i wount be able to do this

all it means is more spill i think

others are welcome to trying to get a better thrower by drilling the reflector

Alex

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
aljsk8 said:
To gain the full advantage of the die you would need to make the hole in the reflector bigger than the black part and raise it by 0.77mm.
Alex

IMO, I would not risk "drilling the opening" as this could damage the reflector coating. If you would be able to sand the bottom of the reflector, the whole emitter, and thus the dome and DIE can sit higher in the reflector.

If you would ever want to go back with Luxeons, you could always screw the pill in less far or use a (plastic) washer with the height you took off and put it between the emitter and reflector....

Cheers ! :rock:

aljsk8

Enlightened
i might give it a try later

although theres not much to sand before the hole would start getting larger

ill keep you posted

thanks

Alex

aljsk8

Enlightened
sanded the reflector this evening with a dremel - this is tricky and takes ages
but it does improve the focus especially closer than 2ft from wall - cant notice a huge difference tho

heres some beamshots

modded civictor on high (left) vs ultrafire 601 (2aa) plus L1P (right)

Dsc01956.jpg

mod on left vs 2 x ultrafire 602a1 plus L1P (3 lights total - right)

Dsc01958.jpg

id say as bright if not brigter than these combinations

spot looks similar spill is brighter than all 3

Alex

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great ! Is the reflector removable from the head ?
Best is just to sand it on some 220 grit sandpaper (for metal)...
Keeps the surface even and flat, takes about 2~3 mins...

aljsk8

Enlightened
in my civictor the pill and the reflector came out very easly - but others might not be so easy

there is no thickness to the hole of the reflector so any sanding will make the hole bigger - i did lose little flakes of the reflector coating around the base but they were very small and i was very rough

i just hacked away with various grinding stones on the dremel and kept trying the pill against the reflector untill the 0.5mm id added in copper washer dissapeared in the reflector to pill gap - when the 2 were again flush i knew id gone far enough

after that i cleaned up the back of the reflector with fine sanding discs on the dremel so it looked like it did origionally but with a curved shape - i cleaned up the shape of the hole and then polished the reflector back - then i blew the front and softly wiped it with tissue

next i put some mixed thermal epoxy on the leads of the led and on the back of the reflector - so the leads dont short on the reflector

this is a diagram of what will happen when you mod the reflector - mod on the right

reflector.jpg

hope this helps

Alex