Seoul P4 + McR reflector question

vacuum3d

Enlightened
I noticed that the Shoppe has these copper discs (0.03") designed to raise the P4 by 0.30". Does it mean that the reflectors need to have the same amount of material removed? Anyone?

Thanks,
ernest

digitaleos

Enlightened
Here is what Wayne says about the copper discs:

"As for the Aleph Seoul LEs. Here's the scoop. The A1, A3 reflector have a larger diameter hole allowing the Plastic perimeter to be engulfed through the reflector. By shimming the Seoul with the copper discs pushes the LED further forward into the reflector. Since the opening doesn't sit on the black plastic there is no need to modify the reflector to accomodate the Seoul. You can use either Luxeon LE or the Seoul LE interchangeably with no modifications."

This quote was taken from his blog found here http://theledguy.blogspot.com/

Chris

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, this information is incorrect. Deleted...

-Wayne

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
Is the above information correct though?

ie. in an Aleph-1 light with McR27 the Seoul Aleph Light engine just needs to
be screwed in until it can't screw any further and at this stage the plastic
perimeter is inside the hole of the McR27.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the A1,A3 no change is needed. Just swap out the Luxeon LE with the Seoul LE and you are good to go.

-Wayne

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ernest, you don't keep up with the trend :D

Here's what needed to be done for the A2.
McGizmo said:
The P4 will work with the relectors designed for the Luxeon LED's. To get a good focus, the P4 needs to advance forward into the reflector by about .030" or there abouts. With the McR-27, 38 and 45, this can be accomplished by letting the reflector overlap the LED. With the McR-20 family which seats against the LED, you need to remove material from the rear of the reflector. I know I have made these comments a couple times elsewhere but the joy of CPF is the opportunity to repeat oneself again and again until your wind is all gone! :nana:

cqbdude

Enlightened
Whooo Hoooo..finally a new LED for my A1's.:rock:

The A1 head has been neglected since the Cree likes deep reflectors..

digitaleos

Enlightened
Has anybody tried the Seoul in a stock A19 head with the MCR19. Just wondering since I just read something that goatee wrote about the 27lt-s having the perfect beam with the Seoul, he said it out threw his 27lt with UV1J and that the output was definately greater. Now I realize that Wayne has stated that the A1 and A3 heads should need no modifications to them to use with the Seoul, as long as you use the .030 discs to build the LE, but how about the MCR19?

Chris

McGizmo

Flashaholic
To bring the McR-19 into focal alignment with the Seoul would require that you back out the LED from the reflector a fair amont. This will result in some light loss. I haven't tried it for this reason. I carried a custom PD with McR-19 and LuxIII for quite a while. The beam distribution is very nice, IMHO, but I think I figured I had a 25 - 30% loss of light. With the Seoul P4, the LED doesn't need to be backed out nearly as much so the loss would be less. I'll have to take a look at this when I get a chance. I am not thrilled with the proximity of the reflector to the gummy dome either though. I think the beam distribution with the McR-20 and the P4 is pretty good as it is and your reasonably deep photon net is catching the way off axis photons with plenty clearance around the dome to boot. :shrug: