SF/6P getting out

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
With all the new digital LED technology going on, I've neglected my old 6P. Now that SF is sent their incan line to the bone yard, parts are going to be coming up short pretty quickly. How do I keep the old 6P relivent in the digital age besides adding an LED dropin?

chiphead

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Parts appear to be very plentiful and I expect that they will be for the forseeable future. Furthermore, SureFire has not discontinued the classic 6P AFAIK.

What parts on the 6P wear out, anyhow? :confused: Pretty much the only part that fails is the P60 LA, and there are something like 1.236 million (roughly ;)) incan LA's out there since many folks have converted them to LED. Anyhow, I doubt that the P60 LA's get nearly the usage of the P90's since they are much less compatible with rechargeables.

Just my two cents,

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah...not much you can do, except may be add a clicky or a combat ring and a filter...there's nothing to really break on it...I've heard of 6P getting ran over by APC's and surviving...so, yeah, not much.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check the MarketPlace every day. You'll find what you want if you are persistent. Lumens Factory sells both incandescent bulbs and LEDs that will fit your 6P. Nice light.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok fellas, I guess the old addage is true; if it ain't broke...you know.
chiphead

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
What parts on the 6P wear out, anyhow? QUOTE]

The tailcap spring. But you can change that with a burned LA center spring, they are Totally the same.

The Taicalp press fited parts...The central (aluminum) part that makes ground seem to get more slacky and more woobly with use. But this does not seem to affect reliability.

The tailcap bootie (with use the redges wear off). But this is easy to repalce.

DM51

Flashaholic
A friend of mine has an old SF 6P beater with the "Laser Products" logo on the tailcap, which means it must be >11 years old; he can't remember how long he has had it but he thinks 15 years, which would fit. He is devoted to it and wouldn't change it for anything.

He doesn't use it a lot, but it is always there on a shelf in the kitchen where he can get it when necessary. He says he uses it quite often but probably for no more than 10 -15 minutes total per week, whenever he has to go out and check his car or something like that.

He says he goes through several sets of cells each year, but what is interesting is that he has never had to change the LA - he still has the original P60 incan LA in there. Needless to say, nothing else has worn out on it either, and it has never let him down.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Add a P91 and a pair of IMR 16340.

Fairly massive output, even by pocket LED standards, although it's now best for short burns. If you want some more endurance, the P90 or Lumens Factory ES-9 are options; the latter offers a P60-equivalent output, but is compatible with rechargeables for guilt-free lumens. "Can I afford to replace my last two primaries" is one of the big reasons I reach for LEDs these days, after all.

gsr

Enlightened
Looking at the 2012 Surefire catalog, I see no incans at all. It seems the 6P is may be on the way out.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up an A19 extender (essentially making it a 9P) and using a P90/P91 bulb with two 17500s. If you bore your setup, you can use two 18500s.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking at the 2012 Surefire catalog, I see no incans at all. It seems the 6P is may be on the way out.

I wouldn't expect Surefire to showcase the 6P nowadays, regardless of whether or not they are still making them.

325addict

Enlightened
I have been using the C3/P90 combination for 2.5 years now on a very regular basis with Li-ion 17500s. Until now, I did never blow out any lamp - I still have the very first in!
OK, the lamp is quite black now, but it still works! Remarkable isn't it?? :thumbsup:

mikeb9550

Newly Enlightened
Also, doesnt it have a lifetime warranty? I wonder how they will fix them? Maybe just replace them with an LED?

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire doesn't warranty bulb assemblies unless they are defective. I don't believe they'll replace an incan bulb that's seen it's life cycle come to an end.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
what to do:

- put a good led insert in (XP-G is enough),
- use it with 17650 Li-Ion
- and have a light the original was never as bright, or as long running, or as cheap to be run

- bore it to 18650

- add McKlicky tailcap

- grin at using a host most any cpfer would like to have

- put XM-L full power insert in for a light thats helloffa bright

Latest posts