SF E2d andE1e: orange peel is differrent on each..

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just messing with my E1e and E2d, I noticed the reflector's
had different looking orange peel. The E2d's "bump's" are taller and more aggresive then the smoother OP of the E1e. This normal? or a variable in making the reflector? VDG

Size15's

Flashaholic
Re: SF E2d andE1e: orange peel is differrent on ea

There is bound to be variation and whilst I'm not sure this is what you are observing, it seems reasonable to me.

SureFire try stuff out, maybe they produced a batch to see whether or not people notice?

When you swap over the bezels do the beams look much different?

BTW, does you E2d have a flat or a domed window?

Thanks

Al

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

Domed, bought new in sept/oct i believe, so last of the domed ones. I think I did swap once and didn't see much difference IIRC, but I will try it again. i can see a reason for differing level's of OP, but am curious. Myabe with your connection's you cn find out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif VDG

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think tonight I will do the head swap again.Last night i actually blew my first SF lamp, MN01,(it had been pretty yellow, and sickly looking for days) I had been using my E1e head on a FB-1 1x123 body for the last week, mostly just fun to EDC an incan for a bit after using LED's for the last 3 mth's. Before i got my main EDC now, HDS basic 60 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif and 2nd EDC's KL-1's on FB-1's,, the E1e was my day in, day out EDC and had a ton of use and abuse for 4 mth's, so I think the SF lamp is a well made unit.

Anyhoo, taking a close look at the OP on both, i feel the heavier stipling is intentional on the 2d, and comparing the beam and lamp's on both E2d and E1e, the E1e hotspot is so much tighter that i wonder back in the early fall when i did the swap If maybe I didn't have the "eyes"
of a good flashaholic yet to see a difference. I also think I only tried the bezel swap on the E2d not both bezels on on both light's.
So with some free time, a fresh lamp, and a couple of new thing's i got today in the mail(peak lug ultra HiPo single LED and the new terralux micro star1 drop in) I will play around with my light's tonight and go ahead and do the swap and report back. VDG

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Size15's said:
I look forward to your report!

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

I ain't much of a reviewer, but will try to really take my time. Do it outside to optimize the variables, and try not to screw up and swap lamp's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif VDG

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ok,,, i just got back inside from my intensive E-series
bezel swapping /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Well here is what i discovered. As the thread says i noticed a different level of texture/orange peel between the E1e (which I imagine is also a E2e bezel) and the E2d, bezel's. and to my eye didn't look like it was a variable
in the OP process. It looked intentional. I decided to swap
bezel's between the SF's, to see what was the effect and if the lamp and difference in power (15 lm's for the E1e, 60 for the E2d) came into the equation.

The difference is very much noticable dispite the much brighter E2d.

Basically the E2d has a more raised and agressive stipling, with the "bump's" being larger, and taller.
The E1e has a more light coverage, and smaller more prolific
amount of "bump's".

Here's what I saw:
The basic beam character of the bezel translated somewhat to each
light, very noticable but not drastically enough to freak out over.

E1e:
the original bezel produces a very tight hot spot but a very wide if not bright spill. dimmer then most of us are used to, it actually throws pretty far just not real bright.
when the E2d is put on the spill is cut in half but increased in intensity, and the hot spot is roughly twice as wide, and flairing out much more as it throw's then stock E1e.The heavier OP also softens the light, making it more difuse and reduces the throw noticably.
I would say those that those who find the E1e to be too tight and giving the impression of it being too dim will love the E2d
on a 1x123 body. wider beam spot, and more difuse give it the effect of producing more overall light.I do wish though, that the E1e had another 10 lumens or so, I think it would place this light in a near perfect incan EDC.None the less I still love my little E1e! (especially on a vital gear FB-1 1x123 body, smaller then an ARC Ls and very cute!)

E2d:
the E2d stock bezel has a wide brash bright flood, it throw's far, and really lights up an area. the hot spot is not as pronouced as some SF's or the E1e. But it does the job we all know well, producing lot's of bright light both
flood and throw.
when the E1e is put on it, it change's character much more then I would have thought.
Even with all the extra power it becomes far less difused, with a truly visable defined hot spot,that throw's a great deal more
then it's stock head, and wider, bright better defined spill.
I really liked the E1e bez on the 2x123 body, and am considering getting one.( I had bought the E2d because of the ablity to stand on end)I really like this setup.

Two more things that might or might not make a difference:

The E2d has a domed lens some say this makes a difference,
some don't. And not having another E2d bezel with the new flat lens i can't really say.

The 2nd thing: the E1e has a slightly flatter reflector that is less deep and less parbolic in shape.
The E2d is a little deeper, with a more noticable
parabolic curve in it's reflector.

Well i know this is all boring but it was fun to try this
And have my hunch pan out.. Free time and curiousity is a weird thing. I do think this gives me insight into how reflector's work, this begineers knowledge should help next time I go to pick a light.

there you go 15 wadda think? VDG

Size15's

Flashaholic

I think that there are too many variables to say whether the difference in the reflector finish is making an obvious difference to the beam. For example, if you tried ten lamps in each would there be differences in the beams? If you tried it with and without the domed window, etc etc.

If you find the beams better with the bezels swapped you may want to hunt out an E1e-BK (HA) or an E2e (HA) so you have a matching flashlight!

Al

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Size15's said:
I think that there are too many variables to say whether the difference in the reflector finish is making an obvious difference to the beam. For example, if you tried ten lamps in each would there be differences in the beams? If you tried it with and without the domed window, etc etc.

If you find the beams better with the bezels swapped you may want to hunt out an E1e-BK (HA) or an E2e (HA) so you have a matching flashlight!

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

I do agree 15, the variable's are pretty high. One i do know that was not was in the MN01 lams. I did use two MN01's,(mostly for easy swapping) no visable difference.

the one thing I do feel is pretty convinced of, is no matter
which lamp or 1X123 or 2x123 body, the light that had the E1e bezel with less stippling (sP) showed more defination
and throw, and since that bezel had a shallower depth and less curve(parabolic) it's spill was far greater and very noticeable on the more powerful E2 body. Where the E2d really was much more a big wash of light, with little definable spot to flood characterics.

It was fun , and from what I have learned on CPF i knew op ha a big impact on the beam, less or none like mag will produce more throw but less flood etc, so that wasn't a surprise. But the such a small amount of difference between the the two was.

Now I would like to see in what way the depth, curve,
and surface of a reflector affects the beam.
I have wondered about this since I got my HDS, which produces as near a perfect beam for my taste. (great throw, tight but bright defined spill, all from a interesting shaped smooth reflector)

since i am carrying 1x123 sized light's i don't really care
about the bigger mag or SF heads or turbo heads, but how
this pertains to the smaller light's,, I imagine it's more of a challenge to affect a beam in such limited space. VDG