SF M4 vs. M6

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
Which one would you buy?
Forget about practical uses for a minute. I would take one of these hiking at night - but honestly, the primary use while hiking would be to spotlight stuff & upstaging my maglight wielding friend who hikes with me sometimes. (Yes, I know - this is juvenile.)

Anyway, I'm curious as to the pros and cons of these two lights. Both seem very bright, largish, and relatively expensive. So if you were going to buy one, devoid of any sensible, professional considerations, which one would it be, and why? How do you usually carry it?

I've looked into both, and both seem like amazing devices.

Thanks!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The M6, it's more reasonable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif ... I mean, more battery power and longer burntime for continious use /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
bernie

sigp6

Newly Enlightened
Well, here goes... Buy both!

Actually, if for some strange reason you aren't going to buy both I'd recommend the M6.

Tom

cy

Flashaholic
get both /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

m4 m6.JPG

cognitivefun

Enlightened
do these run on Pilas? That takes some of the pain away. I believe the M3 does run on 2 150S Pilas.

cy

Flashaholic
two 168s will fit into M4. has anyone tried this combo using M6 lola and hola? voltage would be pretty close.

further it apears possible to bore out M4 tube to accept 2x 18650 to drive NM 21 for 500 lumens from M4.

has anyone tried driving NM 21 with 2x 18650's yet?

paulr

Flashaholic
M6 is a much more stylish light in my opinion. I'd definitely choose it over the M4. If you want rechargeability, go with js's M6R pack for it.

Neither of these lights is really a spotlight, but both (especially the M6) will achieve long throw through sheer brute power. Maybe you really want something like a Mag85 or USL with a 3" head.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Go with the M6 - brighter, whiter, more light for longer over the course of the runtimes. It's more compact and looks better!

Enjoy!

Al

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never owned an M4 but I had an M6 about a year ago and I'm sure I'll get flamed big time for slamming this Surefire "Holy Grail"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif It IS a very quality built light like most all Surefires. I got lucky and scored an almost new one at a great price. While awaiting it's arrival, I almost trembled at the thought of finally owning the famous "sun in your hand" light as I had read so many folks here describe it. Believe it or not, (and I'm in the minority here but there ARE others with my opinion), the "sun in your hand" brightness of even the HOLA didn't impress me at all! I was very disappointed as I had expected much more. I also hated the "squashed" beams of the newer LA's. I sold it after owning it for only two weeks. Again, this is MY opinion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Second the recommendation for Jim's rechargeable M6-R pack. A REGULATED incandescent.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif sometimes I wish I had that kinda disposable income... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

lightemup

Flashaholic*
If I can suggest, what if you got a M6 and either a M3 or L6? I had the same decision but I already had a M3, so I decided to get the M6, and get a couple of spare parts (i.e. the relevent lamp assemblies and the a19 body extender). This essentially gives you at least two, maybe 4 extra flashlight options - Modularity /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

M6 Turbohead + M3/L6 body + A19 extender + MN60/MN61 lamp assembly = M4 (difference is the black a19 extender and the combat grip at the front)

M6 Turbohead + M3/L6 body + MN15/MN16 lamp assembly = M3T

L6 bezel + M3/L6 body + A19 = longer runtime than 3 cell (not sure of the benefits - someone feel free to jump in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ). I've also heard you can put the L6 bezel on the M6 body but i'm not at all certain it is successful...

The only major issue I can think of by going down this road is that water resistance may be affected when you use the a19...

Just my 2 cents...

wquiles

Flashaholic
That is why I got the L6 - modularity. I now only have to buy the Turbo head and I will have several 3 and 4 cell lights to "build" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Will

Rich

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Kiessling said:
The M6, it's more reasonable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif ... I mean, more battery power and longer burntime for continious use /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
bernie

[/ QUOTE ]

Per the Surefire catalog the run times are the same. What am I missing?

Thanks,
Rich

Size15's

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF Rich!

You are missing that due to the different combination of batteries the M6 has the ability to output brighter, better quality light for longer over the course of it's runtimes compared to the M4.

If you prefer the best quality output the M6 will last longer between changes compared to the M4 (in my experience).

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened
M4 for me. I like smoother bodies with no protrusions, clips, or combat grips. I still consider both lights to be small lights. My 4D mag is largish.

Rich

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Size15's said:
Welcome to CPF Rich!

You are missing that due to the different combination of batteries the M6 has the ability to output brighter, better quality light for longer over the course of it's runtimes compared to the M4.

If you prefer the best quality output the M6 will last longer between changes compared to the M4 (in my experience).

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you!

With the standard Surefire SF123 batteries the runtimes are the same?

Rich

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
Thanks everyone for their advice. I think the M6 sounds like what I want. Now to just convince Mrs.Benchmark that's what I want. (But I'll refer that question to the "Family Counseling" section here on CPF... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

Size15's

Flashaholic
The runtimes are broadly as rated. They are not intended as "constant-on" flashlights. Using them for long periods constant-on will decrease the runtime and the overall quality of light the batteries can provide.

The difference between the M6 and M4 in my experience is the rate of output decline over the course of their runtimes. The M6 appears in experience to maintain a better quality of light for longer.

Al

cy

Flashaholic
Here's a new twist, valid for my small sample of one.

M6 reflector has a tighter hotspot than my M4 which has a wider beam. Since turbohead interchanges, it's easy to switch reflectors and compare.